Frankensaab , The '78 99L

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Frankensaab V3.0

Postby Hans » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 pm

99Super wrote:What other oils are being used w/ the Quaiffe?

I've been using Redline Shockproof in my Quaife-equipped 4-sp for a couple years. Get the Lightweight flavor. It's a light blue color.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Hans wrote:
99Super wrote:What other oils are being used w/ the Quaiffe?

I've been using Redline Shockproof in my Quaife-equipped 4-sp for a couple years. Get the Lightweight flavor. It's a light blue color.

Yep, shifts fine when cold and still sticks when hot. Seems to flows thru the remote filter fine.
Bonus, you can tell what is leaking with the blue color...

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:10 pm

squaab99t wrote:Bonus, you can tell what is leaking with the blue color...

And it smells nice! Like raspberries!

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

1st Test Drives...

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm

I finally had time to move the fence and get the car out today and give it a good washing.

The only gas station w/out ethanol is about 12 miles away and I can take a semi-rural back road to get there. We had a huge wind storm last night and Deb was out cleaning up branches so I made sure she kept a phone handy!
Seems I didn't have quite enough clearance between the alternator and the brake booster and every time I'd try to accelerate at anything above subaru slow, the alternator fan would rub and made a big racket. But on one long, curvy stretch w/ no other cars I got it up to about 60. I was never into positive boost. It was so nice to be driving this car again!

I got it home and lifted the radiator and front of the engine and pulled out the front motor mount. I took it down the the shop at work and rebuilt it w/ new bolts and a shortened center bushing, lowering the nose of the engine about 1/4" and reducing the engine movement. I'll still have to go back and dimple my booster a bit more...
I'll build a new front mount later, probably involving a Hockey puck.

It starts and runs just like a normal 8V CIS car. I even put in a good, used, stock fuel distributor, I'll start tuning it this week. It's also only running 6psi base boost for now while it breaks in.

I took it out to Bogus Basin Road just to see if I could feel the Quaiffe working...

I can't wait to start putting some more power to this thing!! No more spinning inside tire, no more push in the front under power, ya just point the thing in the direction you want to go and punch it!
I can feel just a bit of what feels like a failure to re-center, or just a slight binding, but that could be break-in or oil. For the most part, it's seamless.

I could never really wind it up, just enough car and bicycle traffic to keep it mellow, but I really hit some of the inside hairpins. Even w/ only 6lbs boost, and old tires, the car felt amazing! It already feels so much faster! The power curve feels just a bit flatter.
The transmission shifts perfectly, so that was money well spent.
Now I need to put a few hundred miles on it before Labor Day without breaking anything.

I really need those Wilwoods!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:04 pm

I took a drive up Bogus today w/ another hillclimber who's new to the hill and we took a few pictures from the top.
DSCF0023small.jpg

DSCF0030small.jpg

jfoo13
Nickname: Jon
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jfoo13 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:51 pm

beautiful ride! What seats are those? I almost bought a set of recaro trophys last week but decided to hold off until I at least get my car up and running smoothly. Also mounting issues deterred me a little as well...

Nice pics!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks!
They are a pair of ancient Recaros that came out of an old 78 99T. The mis-matched color looks a bit goofy, and they are getting really threadbare, but they are great seats!
The brackets look home-made and I can take some pics if you need them...

john

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:41 am

Nice shots, looks familiar!
Did you use the "1970s" setting on your camera? :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:16 pm

:lol:
Sometimes the whole state feels like it's stuck in the 70's...

I did figure out what was wrong w/ my APC last night. I have a LED hooked up so I can see detonation and anytime I was above 2psi boost I was "seeing" knock.
I swapped out the Bosch wires for a backup set of Bougicords I had around and now I can run up to the 7psi base boost w/out det. Now I can hook the solenoid back up and see how much boost can dial in before Friday evening's Tech inspection.
I got my registration confimation Saturday and was reassigned my old number, 90 :yay:

john

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:46 am

Nice! It sounds like everything is coming together in plenty of time.

Bosch wires!? Shame on you!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:04 am

Yeah, I thought I could get by w/ them until I'm ready for the T5. Andy at IPS said I could bring 'em back and return them as being "faulty" and save some bucks over the Bougicords.
I'll take them back friday.
It'll pass tech now, which is good, because I'm, out of town tonite and maybe tomorrow night.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:51 pm

I took last Friday off and spent the day getting all the finish work done on the car and ran it up the mountain for Tech. I had to have the slicks on it for tech so Deb followed me up in her 9000 and we left the car over night. We drove the van up the next morning so we'd have a place to hang out during the day...

Saturday morning we head up, get the car started and warmed up and give it a quick run through the course just to see how the new tires feel and get the old track globs scrubbed off.

I got my run group and worker assignments and and got the car gridded. I was in Run Group 1a. We split each run group into to halves so there was time for 2 driver cars to get drivers changed and for cars to cool down a bit between runs. There were 3 2-drivers cars that ran, then the first single ran, a sharp black Cayman. Unfortunately, he didn't finish.
The Rocks (AKA Turn 6), is a corner notorious for killing Porsches and this guy decided to try to take it flat out, first run, on cold tires. He got wide on the exit and hit the Rocks with his left front corner and bounced back onto the road stopping about 3' short of going over the edge. Of course he dumped all his oil and antifreeze all over the road :thumbsdown:
The Cayman is likely totaled :-O
The guy was OK.
So of course, I'm the next driver and have to wait about half an hour until they get the mess cleaned up.
My run was fair, and I was able to stay to the inside of the exit for 6 and avoided most of the Oil-Dri and turned in a 2:11.879. Pretty respectable, and a time that ruled the class for the rest of the first day. It needed to because then I started to have issues.
Some oil got flung out of my dipstick and got on my throttle cable mount so on my second run I got to the first corner and my cable came off the mount, leaving my dead on the course. I hopped out and got it fixed and went back to the start line, but the run was counted as a DNF. Since I was already at the Start, I made my 3rd run.
About half way up the hill, I missed 3rd and hit 5th. As I was trying to get the car back into 3rd, the shift shaft slid out of the u-joint. I pulled the shifter back to 4th, and it pushed the rod into gear. I loafed it up the rest of the way in 4th and turned in a 2:16.122.

Deb was there with me all day, but didn't drive this year. She volunteered to work Turn 4 w/ me during the afternoon and we got to watch how other cars were getting through this tricky corner.
Near the end of Run Group 2, the Vette-Powered Cobra blew his engine as he was crossing the finish line and left another big mess. The finish had to be moved a few feet to the left to help the drivers stay away from the oil in the braking area. The Raptor (a National Champion 2-stroke winged A-Mod car) blew his drive belt and was done for the event. Of course he already set a time good enough to be crowned King Of The Hill...

Day 2 was 15 degrees cooler and windy and I was now racing in the afternoon. There were no major mishaps and we got done pretty early. My first run came in at 2:10.206. I knew I left a lot of time on the course so I pushed a bit harder the next run. 2:06.811. That beat my previous best of 2:07.795.
On my last rune, I tried a bit different line through 4 and and picked up a bit more time to get a 2:05.977, good enough to set a new class record and a personal best.

I'll get some pics and video up later this week.

Now I need turn the boost up past 8psi :thumbsup:

john

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Totally awesome that you blew the dust off the car and got to play with it. Did you have this car at Putnam Park with a multi color hood ( flat black and I think maybe blue and yellow) ??? I recall I was drooling over it. Is this an SCCA event and what class are you running it in. The ITB plan didnt work out for me since the new motor wasnt IT legal. Now Im running an 8v base model against a 257 whp integra, and a cobalt ss with nearly 300hp. I have 110 whp and Im a full 6 seconds off the pace in SMF. What were your competitors in class driving?

Isnt it great when you actually get to play with your toys, and its better still when you show em whats up at the track or the hill. Have fun, Keep the shiny side up!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Hey!
I was just telling my wife "I think this SwedeSport guy is the one who parked next to me a Putnam Park w/ the cool tan & green paint job and snow tires... " :lol:
I tried to get that hood back on before the race, but for the life of me, I couldn't find black primer and when I used plain flat black paint, it just totally looked like shit. I'll strip it and repaint it just like it was, as a winter project.
My buddy Bryce ran a 78 MKI Scirocco w/ a MegaSquirted 2.0 16V. It was his first hill climb and he eventually got it down to 2:16-ish, the other cars were modded Hondas in the low teens. I think the best of them ran a 2:12, but iirc, he ran a 2:06 last year in SM. I used to run DSP, but I'm in the new SMF. The best-ever FWD car ran a 1:54.304 in a crazy SM Honda. That's my target.
The group puttin the event on is the NHA (Northwest Hillclimb Assoc.), but they use general SCCA rules with a few unique classes.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Im not gonna worry too much about records and such. I got alot to learn as a driver before I go for records and ball up my car. Im building the notchback to chase hill titles. I was at Summit Point and ran a track trial on Jefferson Circuit. The guy in the integra asked me how much boost I ran in that thing. When I explained the combo, he seemed surprised.

Hopefully we will share track time here soon. I think I have some pics of your car, ill post em when I find em.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”