Frankensaab , The '78 99L

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Frankensaab , The '78 99L

Postby 99Super » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm

I pulled the V2.0 BSi20 race motor out of Frankensaab today and after a bit of cleanup will start getting firewall mods done later this week.
This is going to be a pretty straightforward 16VT conversion using BMW 320i CIS injectors until I can get my T5 done.
The engine is done except for details.
I hope to have the car running by March and have it ready for the first hillclimb in June.
I just finished the LSD install and the trans in only waiting for the new cover and shifter pin removal...
Done.jpg

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Frankensaab V3.0

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 am

99Super wrote:I pulled the V2.0 BSi20 race motor out of Frankensaab today and after a bit of cleanup will start getting firewall mods done later this week.
This is going to be a pretty straightforward 16VT conversion using BMW 320i CIS injectors until I can get my T5 done.
The engine is done except for details.
I hope to have the car running by March and have it ready for the first hillclimb in June.
I just finished the LSD install and the trans in only waiting for the new cover and shifter pin removal...
Done.jpg

Looking good. I really like the background with that open diff keeping the bench down. Did rebuild the rest on the trans or did you just put in the LSD?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

Dennis,
It's a 75K mile tranny from a 92 NA CV. No trace of metal in the case and it feels nice and tight. Pinion depth was well w/in spec and nearly spot-on. This is the trans I bought cheap because the yard monkey pulled the diff apart, breaking a diff bearing cap and losing the pre-load shims. Crossing my fingers it's a good box, but I'll rebuild if it's not.
I'll post the dif install process tonite or tomorrow if anyone is interested.

john

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby happyandy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 am

what type of diff is it? (I was kind to say what kind of LSD are you using, but then thought better :lol: )

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am

happyandy wrote:what type of diff is it? (I was kind to say what kind of LSD are you using, but then thought better :lol: )

Quaife ATB. I put the group buy together about 4 years ago. John committed knowing that it might be a long time or ever it would happen again.

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Now that the install is done I thought some might like to see how the diff was installed.

The yard monkey ripped the original diff out attempting to pull the inner drivers that he thought was supposed to go along w/ the used axle the yard sold...
BrokenCarrier.jpg

First thing was to check the pinion depth...
From the picture, the serial number of the pinion and corresponding ring gear is 9739. The depth of the pinion is +12. That means that the pinion should be set .12mm below the 0 depth, +/- .05.
PinionFace.jpg

With a depth of .105mm, that's only .015mm off...
PinionDepth2.jpg

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 2

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 pm

With the pinion bearings checked, we can start installing bearings...
CarrierBearing.jpg

CarrierBearingIn.jpg

Now, remove the Allen bolts and take the two halves of the diff apart. This is a pic I took during assembly, but you see what bolts have to come out...
DiffBoltIn.jpg
Last edited by 99Super on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 3

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Place the driver's side half of the diff in the case...
DiffHalfIn.jpg

Then the ring gear flange half and bolt the halves together. Just a few bolts is OK...
DiffHalvesIn.jpg

Install the driver's side carrier - without seals or O-rings - w/ just 3 bolts and torque to 16lbs.
LtSideCarrier.jpg

Now do the same to the passenger's side but only tighten the three bolts to 1.6 ft-lbs, just around finger tight...

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 4

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

The point is to have just a tiny bit of pre-load on the bearings. Enough that is doesn't roll freely and there is no slop. Similar to setting up a taper-style wheel bearing.

As the pass side carrier is snugged up, spin the diff lightly to check for uneven resistance. When the resistance is even, measure the space remaining w/ a feeler gauge. Measure in 3 or 4 spots and take the average of the them...
MeasuringPreload.jpg

Then add .20mm to the shim stack thickness calculation and divide the shims in half (if I go by the manual) or 1/3 thickness to the driver's side and 2/3rds to the pass side (if I go w/ what Rob at ScanWest says)...
It should take 1.3 to 2.1 lb ft to spin the diff...
DiffwShims.jpg

With all the bearings, pre-load and shims in place, it's time to tear it all apart again so we can install the ring gear and carrier seals...
CarrierSealIn.jpg

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 5

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 pm

...and O rings.
CarrierORing.jpg

Put all back together again, first the driver's side diff half, then the pass side, then the driver's carrier, then the pass carrier with the shims correctly divided. Remember to Loc-Tite the diff bolts and ring gear bolts.

Now we check for wear patterns and backlash.

You can buy special black ring gear paint, but orange oil-based paint is also popular. White Lithium grease will work and in this case, I used gray Moly grease. It's tough to see, but I couldn't find my tube of orange and wasn't ready to quit for the night so off I went. The patterns looked good...
ToothPattern3.jpg

So check the backlash...
Backlash.jpg

At first pass, the backlash was .33. I moved 1 of my thinnest shims from pass side to driver's side to get the .21. Spec is .17 +/- .05, so at .21 I'm on the loose side of spec. You can do this before you install the O rings and seals if you like...
Last edited by 99Super on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 6

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Before I installed the driver's I had to figure out how to take up the space now left by the loss of the spider gear shaft in the center of the open diff, about a half inch of thickness. There's just nothing there...
PreloadWashers.jpg

It was recommended to use two cut down spring caps from another trans, but I didn't have any spares. I just used 2 cut down Allen bolts placed behind the spring to keep load on the companion flange springs...
SpringSpacer.jpg

All done w/ the internals...

Now the covers...
Attachments
Done.jpg

99Super

Quaiffe ATB install part 7

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 pm

Last part, I promise...

To pick up bits of metal before they do any damage, I glued a powerful magnet to my new SAABRally.com diff cover. This is a trick I learned while working on track trannies and diffs when I lived in Duluth, MN. Glue the magnet in place w/ some red Loc-Tite anaerobic gasket replacer. I spray a bit of WD-40 (or similar) on the part to help it set up faster...
magnet.jpg

Then the rear cover...
SRDiffCover.jpg

Looks GOOD! :thumbsup:

And the front cover. This is the last of my 99 5-speed front covers...
LastCover.jpg

Done! :yay:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:52 pm

I took off work early yesterday and got my engine bolted to the trans. Pretty straightforward...

Today Deb and I finally dropped the engine in :yay:

I'll likely have to lift it out again to tidy up a few things, but it fits.

I'm only a few weeks behind schedule, but the rest should go fast now. The radiator I'm using is a NOS aftermarket unit I got off ebay 3 or 4 years ago. I'm having it altered to have a lower outlet installed so I can use the stock 900 lower radiator hose. That should come back next week.

I need to install the CIS bits (WUR and AAV), replace the flex section of the clutch line, and the heater hoses, a few wiring mods, new oil cooler lines...

I may actually have this thing running by April!

On another note, I handed my contractor a $10,000 check to get started on my new garage this morning :-O

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 pm

99Super wrote:I took off work early yesterday and got my engine bolted to the trans. Pretty straightforward...

Today Deb and I finally dropped the engine in :yay:

I'll likely have to lift it out again to tidy up a few things, but it fits.

I'm only a few weeks behind schedule, but the rest should go fast now. The radiator I'm using is a NOS aftermarket unit I got off ebay 3 or 4 years ago. I'm having it altered to have a lower outlet installed so I can use the stock 900 lower radiator hose. That should come back next week.

I need to install the CIS bits (WUR and AAV), replace the flex section of the clutch line, and the heater hoses, a few wiring mods, new oil cooler lines...

I may actually have this thing running by April!

On another note, I handed my contractor a $10,000 check to get started on my new garage this morning :-O

I'd love to see you run. Can you put the details on the event section? Great gal you got there. Helps you put the engine in and understand the importance of your work environment (Man Cave) :thumbsup:

Great photo doc of the LSD. Did you pick a pump for your trans cooler?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Dennis,
I think the tranny cooler and pump may end up being one of the later additions I make as budgets tighten.
What do you think of using the old-style auto tranny cooler, the one that goes in the lower radiator hose? I think the pass side air dam port is the perfect spot, but I currently use that as a cool air intake. I'm also looking to do a larger, better placed intercooler and have to put that someplace...

The addition is win-win for both of us. I get my man cave (20x32 garage) and she gets the upstairs room for her bikes and snowboards. Plus we get a bedroom for our guests. This will nearly triple our usable space.

Geoff and Crazy Mongo know how little room we have. Phil and Calye stay here from time-to-time as well others of the SAAB community. By August we should have GastHaus Wirt open :lol:

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”