Frankensaab , The '78 99L

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: Frankensaab , The '78 99L

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:37 pm

In the mean time...
The head is done,
P2100706.JPG

Exhaust ports cleaned up and matched,
ExPortSm.jpg
ExPortSm.jpg (135.02 KiB) Viewed 20725 times

T5 intake valves installed,
InVlvSm.jpg
InVlvSm.jpg (92.39 KiB) Viewed 20725 times

InVlv2Sm.jpg
InVlv2Sm.jpg (105.99 KiB) Viewed 20725 times

That's it so far.

I've started to install the 900 radiator, but that's too ugly for pictures right now.
The old engine still needs to come out (it's headed for the 78 GLE), box the upper control arms, paint the bay and build a new T5 harness.
Maybe make some brake changes (Wilwoods this year too??), more cage...

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Ok, so the ARP head studs and SS exhaust studs have arrived, as have the Eagle connecting rods and the Deves rings.
The rods go off to the machinist Monday to have the bearing cuts made (he's closed on Friday)...
The piston order has been placed. As soon as I get them, off to Swain for coating, hopefully in the next week or two.

Also, I pulled out a T5.5 harness from my pile and started cleaning it up for that fun part of the project...

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Ok, been a while so time for an update.
My new job has kept me super busy, and out of town so it's been hard to get anything done. Over Xmas and New year, I was expecting to finish the new engine but it didn't work out that way.
When I pulled the diff cover to install the Squaabworks unit, I found that the 3rd gear synchro spring had dislodged and was in chunks stuck to the magnet I had glued to the cover. Damage was minimal, but could have been much worse.
So I tore it down and replaced the spring, but that ate up what time I had. Last week I finally installed the head, so the engine is done.
So far...
B212 bored to 94, Eagle 2RZ rods, Swain coated RaceTec pistons w/ Deves rings, ARP head Studs, 85 SPG exhaust cam, T5 intake valves.

John
Last edited by 99Super on Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:03 am

Time to upgrade the inner driver sleeves since it is apart?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:51 am

Since you mention that...

As I was really trying to lose weight on the car, I had planned to go back to a Turbo 4-speed. I had one laying around, that I thought was broken, but once I got into it, found that two pinion bolts had loosened up and jammed the ring gear. New bolts w/ Loctite, installed the second Quaife and I thought I was ready to go.

After I read that you had included sleeves on yours, I called Rob to inquire. (Knocking on wood here…) So far I've never broken a trans and don't want to!

Rob said that the larger/earlier flanges didn't really need them, and that the late transmissions really are substantially stronger than the legendary Turbo box. And the fact that I already have the early flanges in the later box (I still run the 86-87 vented brakes/axles), it was plenty strong for my needs.

So, in going back to my 5-speed, I pulled the old diff cover to install your unit and found that the #3 synchro spring had dislodged at some point and worked it's way through the gears to end up in (mostly) large bits stuck to the 2" magnet I had glued to the cover. It's something I learned at Power Transmission in Duluth. It's a cheap bit insurance that I put in every trans, and it paid for itself this time for sure! The magnet caught it all as there was no other particles found. Only minor wear/scuffing from the spring, mostly internal to the diff : ( so I tore it down, replaced the spring, and it should be ready to go!
Fixed Trans_sm.jpg
Fixed Trans_sm.jpg (115.12 KiB) Viewed 20317 times

I've also modified the front end to accept the 900 radiator and Viggen IC. Crazy how perfect it fits in there, but I need really thin fans and no high beams ; )
RadIC_sm.jpg
RadIC_sm.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 20317 times

And a pic of the Eagle Rods and Racetec pistons...
Crank_sm.jpg
Crank_sm.jpg (66.98 KiB) Viewed 20317 times

John

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:22 pm

For what it's worth, I've never actually seen or had an inner driver failure besides a broken axle or tripod taking one out. I think the sleeve would be slightly beneficial as more of a protective armor, but not much need for it otherwise.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Jordan wrote:For what it's worth, I've never actually seen or had an inner driver failure besides a broken axle or tripod taking one out. I think the sleeve would be slightly beneficial as more of a protective armor, but not much need for it otherwise.

Let's just say most everything we do for prep is overkill. My header made with 321 stainless and individual primary lambda sensors is certainly not needed, but sure if fun to have that capability.

Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Krizzie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:40 am

What figures are you planning on? A bored 2.1L will generate a lot of torque! :-O
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:17 am

To be honest, I don't really have a target. Others using the 2RZ rods with lighter pistons are expecting 250-275+, but that's all boost dependent. The engine can produce far more than the trans can handle, for sure.
I'll probably start in the 240 range and tune my T5 upward from there.
First step is to get it done and running!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:58 am

Regarding inner driver failures, a few years ago Team RallyHo had ended up with an inner driver failure. We came over a crest, the car compressed hard and there must have been a big rock on the road because we suddenly felt a large jolt from below. The engine shifted (bent the sheet metal engine mount above the driveshaft axle on the right side of the car) and the car spit out the driver's side driveshaft. The LSD wouldn't propel the one-axle car and the tripod was busted so we couldn't reassemble anything. So we sat there on the side of the road talking about how it was probably time to sleeve the drivers.

Upon repair, Mike noticed that the replacement inner driver cup was 10mm longer than the one that was in the car. I'm pretty sure the car has the earlier (larger) drivers/tripods. I've never noticed any difference in length in driver cups but its probably something to consider, at least when building a car that may be traveling at the limit...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:05 pm

Geoff, sounds like you landed right on the sub-frame rail!
For my purposes, travel and impact risk is limited due to my dedication to Asphalt! If I 'off' during a hillclimb, I'll have bigger issues...
I'm just happy to hear this is more of a rally issue than road race. If it seemed to be a HP related issue, I would have done it,
but the consensus seems that I don't need them.
Thanks for the inputs!

Oh, and about 'overkill', I love to see when all the talented folks out there do just that! Gives me plenty to shoot for. I'll likely never reach the quality level of Dennis, Luke, Jordan, but they motivate me to do better...just trying to get close!

It's like racing against some of the Hondas out there. I know I can't catch them, but if I can worry them from time to time... : D

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Last weekend I made a new hockey puck motor mount for the pass side of the car. The old 8V/16V combo mount worked well for general use but there was too much movement for racing.
In using the flat puck, I needed to go back to the old 99-style mount and had to fab the support between the head and the mount...
Hopefully I'll have enough time this weekend to test-fit the motor and work on making the NippnDenso alternator fit.

MotorMount.png
MotorMount.png (477.8 KiB) Viewed 20129 times

Altrnator.png
Altrnator.png (405.02 KiB) Viewed 20129 times

3mounts.png
3mounts.png (181.67 KiB) Viewed 20129 times

Hockey Pucks All 'Round!

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:23 pm

With all due respect John, we have to hook you up with some TIG welding clinics.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu May 07, 2020 8:29 am

A Little update:
Engine is done and in.
Radiator/cooling/hoses are done.
Grille/lamps/bezels are done.
Body electrical is done.
Turbo/IC pipes done.

Now I'm starting my T5 wiring. Fingers crossed, running by 5/17 is my target.

Header03052020.jpg

Front05032020.jpg

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am

Looking good John

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”