84 900 F Prepared Notchback

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 84 900 F Prepared Notchback

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm

I would prefer to get my hands on one to look at/sit in before I buy one.

In terms of comfort, I wont be street driving this.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:53 pm

The Corsa is on par with the Forza's in my other car. It's an entry level seat.

Darth Blomqvist
Nickname: kip
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Darth Blomqvist » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 pm

This looks like a good deal, just slap a saab patch over that porsche logo. Not sure how close to you it is... PA is a long state last time I drove across it to get to Nelson Ledges...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 pm

I got into the garage for a bit over the weekend. This time I put the wire cup on the right angle grinder and cleaned up the loose scale on the floor. Then I brushed on some rust dissolving gel. I covered it with Saran Wrap, to keep it from evaporating overnight. Heavy rust needs some time to work.

Sunday, I pulled off the plastic, and applied a quick coat of dissolver. After sitting for about 20 minutes I rinsed it off with cold water and a scrub brush. It needs to be dried in order for the rust conversion to work.

I got the dash beam cleaned up and painted, as well as the pedal assembly. Cleaned up all the stuff sticking thru the firewall, and freshened up with some rattle cans. I cleaned the firewall well, and taped up the protruding bits. I had some WHITE aerosol truck bed liner. So I used that on the inner firewall. Hopefully I can start assembling the dash and controls tomorrow after work.

I still have some repair and fabrication to do in the floor. Like the frame for the seat and plating the cage foot areas. The forward tunnel needs rust repair, and the wider tunnel need to be grafted in. Harness mounting needs some consideration as well. Thinking I need to pick a seat before I get too far with any of that. So to start Ill just sand the floor and brush on a spit coat of Corroless.
Attachments
2013-01-27 19.32.50.jpg

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 am

SwedeSport wrote:The Corsa is on par with the Forza's in my other car. It's an entry level seat.

I think you have your models mixed up. The corsa is a very nice fia approved seat...new they retail for $800 so if you could get a used one for $200 or $300 you would be well ahead of the curve. But if you have your mind set on the awesomness of a completely rigid aluminum seat dont let my silly knowledge get in your way.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

Crazyswede wrote:
SwedeSport wrote:The Corsa is on par with the Forza's in my other car. It's an entry level seat.

I think you have your models mixed up. The corsa is a very nice fia approved seat...new they retail for $800 so if you could get a used one for $200 or $300 you would be well ahead of the curve. But if you have your mind set on the awesomness of a completely rigid aluminum seat dont let my silly knowledge get in your way.

Yeah, I did see that on their website. It is a bit better than the Forza.

I am not necessarily stuck on that Kirkey because of the Uber cool Joe Redneck racer look. I am sorta enthused about the fact that with the seat, cover, and mounting brackets I am out the door for 550.00. I have to compromise here and there to keep this affordable. If I can find a comparable deal on a discontinued model, or a slightly used, nice condition unit, I'll consider other options. It's just that the only other (new) options in that type of seat are over a grand out the door. Plus I have to factor in the cost of the Hans device.

I definitely need to have the halo support. I had a neck injury when I was a teenager, and the weight of the helmet, and the g forces of motorsports always causes discomfort for a period of time after running an event.

I definitely want to use the Hans when I start hillclimbing this car. It's gonna have twice the power of my 8v car, and be much faster. So when I get to "Oh Shit" at the Pagoda, I'll be carrying much more speed. Believe me, While I didn't get hurt going into the rail in the 8v, I knew I crashed the next day. Compund that with a faster car. The new helmet I got last season has provisions for Hans, so I just need a compatible seat.

The only real rush to getting a seat now, is so that I can begin figuring out the mounts, and harness attachment. If I am lucky, I'll get to shake it down at an AutoX before the end of the season. But It probably won't see a hill til 014.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Hmm. Those knock-offy Sparco EVO2's have a note at the bottom of the page that says "These Sparco seats are overseas grey market products."

Tempted to get a pair of those and put one each in the green '79 and the white '73 since they both need driver's seats anyway.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 pm

DrewP wrote:Hmm. Those knock-offy Sparco EVO2's have a note at the bottom of the page that says "These Sparco seats are overseas grey market products."

Tempted to get a pair of those and put one each in the green '79 and the white '73 since they both need driver's seats anyway.

Saw a nice set of Corbeau's for sale on the Albany craigslist for $550. They were the GTSII seats. reclining vs rigid back.
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Are there seats that recline which meet FIA-8855? I never even looked into it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
DrewP wrote:Hmm. Those knock-offy Sparco EVO2's have a note at the bottom of the page that says "These Sparco seats are overseas grey market products."

Saw a nice set of Corbeau's for sale on the Albany craigslist for $550. They were the GTSII seats. reclining vs rigid back.

The ones I found on Albany CL are blue fixed back seats. They kinda look like a Forza, like I have in the tan 86. They are an ok seat, until you go on a long trip. 350 is a good deal for both seats. They would be much better in a fixed mount situation.

The new Forza is not FIA rated. In fact Corbeau has no indication of FIA rating on any of its seats. The early ones (the ones in my car) are FIA rated. I dunno why they no longer are though.

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

SwedeSport wrote:The new Forza is not FIA rated. In fact Corbeau has no indication of FIA rating on any of its seats. The early ones (the ones in my car) are FIA rated. I dunno why they no longer are though.

The rumor I heard was that they were not manufacturing seats the same as they were sending to the FIA for testing. This pretty much meant that the seats they were selling would not have passed the FIA testing, so they invalidated all of the old seats as well.

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/229041D6069FF291C1257AA9004B8165/$FILE/L12_Approved_seats.pdf

It doesn't say WHY but here is the revocation off all FIA approval for the seats. (It also list all approved seats) P17 is the listing of revoked seats.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Personally I would also vote to skip the aluminum seat. Although the one you linked to is much better than the cheaper Kirky seats. And to be fair, there are some aluminum seats that are very nice.

I'd recommend checking out demon tweaks for seats. I just priced out a sparco circuit for 699 shipped to the states. No brackets.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Crazyswede wrote:

these were street seats...not fia or racing legal. just looked again and looks like the ad expired
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 pm

The blue ones are the only ones I could find, but for a street car the GTS 2 seats would be nice.

Sounds like I may need to replace the seat in the other car too. With the revoked rating and whatnot.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”