99 Street

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
jfoo13
Nickname: Jon
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: 99 Street

Postby jfoo13 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 am

Thanks for the help guys. I feel a little silly posting here with such a little project compared to you big guys doing some major stuff. How on earth do you find the time?! super jealous!

Here is my (bootleg) solution to the heater coolant hoses below.
It ran great for a 45min. drive on the highway and then when I loaded it up to make the daring trip back to boston, it started over heating really bad. I have a feeling its just the gauge being dumb or a bad thermostat so thats next to replace on the list. I ended up not chancing it and decided to take my truck instead.

On the other picture, can anyone tell me if this is the oil pressure dumby light sensor? I have a VDO gauge I'd like to hook up in place of this or T off of this one if I can. Can I run a temp gauge off of this too or should I run it on the oil drain plug?
Attachments
99Hoses.jpg
99Oil-.jpg

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 am

How I find the time...well other than work I don't own a house, I have no car payment, I am an engineer so I have a decent salary, I have no wife, no GF, no kids, and no pets...so right now my time is not too limited.

That sensor looks like the oil pressure dummy light to me.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 am

Yeah, that's the oil light sender. The threading should be 1/8" NPT (iirc), so just put a Tee in and you'll have both the original light, and a port for a VDO gauge sender. I've done this to most of my 99's over the years...

john

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:39 am

Crazyswede wrote:How I find the time...well other than work I don't own a house, I have no car payment, I am an engineer so I have a decent salary, I have no wife, no GF, no kids, and no pets...so right now my time is not too limited.

That makes me a little sad inside. :bawl:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:31 am

Jordan wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:How I find the time...well other than work I don't own a house, I have no car payment, I am an engineer so I have a decent salary, I have no wife, no GF, no kids, and no pets...so right now my time is not too limited.

That makes me a little sad inside. :bawl:

Those dummy oil pressure switches make me sad inside too :bawl:
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:55 am

I'm trained as an engineer, but work as a meathead at a SAAB repair shop during the day. My salary is not good, but I have essentially limitless access to just about any used SAAB part for C900 - current you could hope for, and have a bay to work on my car at the shop.

Have fiancee who is fairly low maintenance, no pets, no kids, no (other) hobbies.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

jfoo13

Postby jfoo13 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 am

It drove great 45min. on the highway, temp was normal the whole time. Then I went to drive on the highway again and the temp gauge starts going crazy. Climbs up and down up and down until its well in the red. I pulled over, jumped the fan so its always on but the temperature gauge still climbs into the red.

I should note that the motor does make a slightly different "whirl" since the new head was put on but I didn't think much of it in the beginning. It doesn't sound bad, just slightly different. My dad and I had a b*tch of a time putting the cam sprocket back on and the chain seems pretty tight but I don't know where or if there is a tensioner I can adjust.

I've since replaced the thermostat but it still overheats. Next is to buy a new temp gauge sender. Does those things even go bad? Can I hook up a VDO gauge to it to get an accurate temp. reading? Is it calibrated to the same spec as the VDO gauge?
Any help greatly appreciated. This thing hasn't run in 4 weeks I'm IMPATIENT! Thanks!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 am

Quick answers to a few of your questions.

Tensioner is not adjustable. (without removing the engine!)
Temp gauge sender is the same for calibrated or dash vdo guage. (so they tell me). The sender changes resistance based on temperature so you can check it by taking the resistance between the body and connector and cross reference that it is in the correct range. I'm sure there is a reference table wandering around the internet if you don't have a manual. If it is jumping around, I might suspect a bad wire or connection. You can try to just run a new wire directly to the gauge from the sender. and clean the contacts on the connector. If you run it to the dash, it is #9 on the circular connector and is a wire yellow on my car.

Good Luck!

jfoo13

Postby jfoo13 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks Jordan.
I just ordered a 1/8 NPT sender from egauges.com for $6 bucks. If it doesn't work with the temperature gauge in the car I also ordered a water temp. gauge to get a more accurate reading. If it still over heats after this its going to the shop down the road. I can't think of anything else!
Thanks again.
J

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Radiator clogged? Pull it out and backflush it with a strong hose maybe?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:38 pm

99s are also pretty susceptible to air in the system since they both have the inlet/outlet ports fairly high up it can mess up circulation. You may also want make sure the system is full and that you pressurized and bled the system out the bleed nipple. Also, how is the water pump :silent:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:52 pm

simple water pump test:

1. remove the thermostat cover and remove the thermostat.
2. Pull the fuel pump fuse
3. crank the engine.

Coolant should come out...it should come out pretty aggressively in fact. if it just sort of sits there and vibrates its a good sign that your water pump is not turning.
I am the 73%

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:58 pm

Crazyswede wrote: if it just sort of sits there and vibrates.....

This situation is only a good thing when discussing massage chairs. :P

Best,
Drew

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

DrewP wrote:
Crazyswede wrote: if it just sort of sits there and vibrates.....

This situation is only a good thing when discussing massage chairs. :P

Best,
Drew

and sex toys :lol:
I am the 73%

jfoo13

Postby jfoo13 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Any one want to lend me a water pump puller thats in New England? Or do I have to throw down $140 for the puller plus $40 for the parts? I'm trying to get this done this weekend (car is in westbrook, maine) and I'd like to be ready for anything to go wrong...

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”