Project "Daily Driver"

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Project "Daily Driver"

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:15 pm

You should have waited until Leanne got home with her 900 and opened all the garage doors to see the 99's peaking out to have the true effect on that overview shot :)

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Yeah she took a picture like that and brought it to work. Everybody always ask her about the SAAB Farm (which I thought was funny, we'll call it SAABFarm "New England") and they are very curious about my cars. Apparently, I'm the talk of the office and they all want to meet me. Mostly because they probably think I belong on "Hoarders".

Anyway, I also just found some metric bubble flare to AN adapters on Jegs... $10 for a pair. I have line and fittings left over from the race car and it would be pretty easy for me to fab up some new lines with AN flares.

Can I put a 37º flare on the stock line (inside the car) like standard 3/16" OD tubing? Should work I'd think.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Jordan wrote:Anyway, I also just found some metric bubble flare to AN adapters on Jegs... $10 for a pair. I have line and fittings left over from the race car and it would be pretty easy for me to fab up some new lines with AN flares.

Can I put a 37º flare on the stock line (inside the car) like standard 3/16" OD tubing? Should work I'd think.

Yes but you'll still need to nix the dual diagonal split upfront somehow if you are only running 1 lines to the rear....

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm

There is no diagonal split up front (in reference to the axle) since there is only one brake line to the rear (its a '92 brake system, not keeping ABS, but not ditching the whole system, just the rear axle).

My plan is to cut and re-flare the single line going to the rear with an AN bulkhead. From there I'd run an single flex line back to the axle , then do another AN tee in the stock location (on the axle) , running hard line and then flex line to the calipers with AN adapters. Basically, just like my '71. I actually run flex line entirely on the '71 from the bulkhead back, but that's just because I was lazy and thought I was going to run out of hard line (which I did, but have more now). :silent:

This thread is fun. :lol:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:08 pm

What I meant is that you still need to get one port off the master up front to two front wheels... which if you use the standard lines upfront wont quite get you there....

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Jordan wrote:
The mayhem:

Crikey... are your cars dividing and multiplying like an amoeba? Leanne must have the tolerance of a saint... :lol:

Psst- nobody tell Jordan... but I think his "daily driver" is a project car. :lol: :lol:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:23 am

What tipped you off? Was it the fact that it is posted under the "Project and Build" threads or that I called it "Project Daily Driver" ? :crazy:

It really hasn't been that bad beside the fact that I got sidetracked with that rusty car. It took a weekend to pull then engines and then another to hook everything back up. Now that I've got the brake lines figured out, It should go back together in a few hours.

It still needs a good cleaning in/out and the headliner redone along with the front hubs, but it will at least be drivable once it all goes together and I know it was repaired as well as I am able.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:19 am

More like the term "project daily driver" isn't something I've heard before. :lol:

So let me get this straight... we've got:

-Project daily driver
    -Project sellable daily driver
    -Project car
    -Project girlfriend's car

Right? :P
-Max

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:04 am

max wrote:More like the term "project daily driver" isn't something I've heard before. :lol:

-Project daily driver
    -Project car

Well not exactly.
Sellable daily driver is fine and ready to sell, just needs a cleaning and another car to replace it.
Leanne's car has its little issues , but I generally don't have to work on it unless its something relatively major, which is rare.

Once the 900 is how I'd like it I shouldn't have to do much to it. I'm trying to keep it stock or at least just use stock parts, but setup how I like it.

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am

Jordan wrote:
max wrote:More like the term "project daily driver" isn't something I've heard before. :lol:

-Project daily driver
    -Project car

Well not exactly.
Sellable daily driver is fine and ready to sell, just needs a cleaning and another car to replace it.

Isn't the 900 replacing it?
-Max

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 pm

It is, but it's not ready yet.

BTW, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that MSS exhaust. It seems to be more of a problem that it was early/later bumper as it needs to be like 4 inches to the left so it doesn't mash into the bumper cover or the tow hook. I really don't want to drop the axle again to switch exhausts....

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm

OK, so it's a "daily-lawn ornament". :lol:
-Max

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Jordan wrote:BTW, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that MSS exhaust. It seems to be more of a problem that it was early/later bumper as it needs to be like 4 inches to the left so it doesn't mash into the bumper cover or the tow hook. I really don't want to drop the axle again to switch exhausts....

Cut through the tailpipe at a slight angle and clock the pipe slightly to align where it needs to be and weld it up?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Luke wrote:Cut through the tailpipe at a slight angle and clock the pipe slightly to align where it needs to be and weld it up?

I was going to say the same thing. Or cut and slip a sleeve over it and use the play between the pipe and the sleeve to move it over.

I've put those exhausts on later cars (including with airflow kits) and I seem to remember having to align them a little more to the side to mate up with recess in the bumper. Or.. you could cut the bumper.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Jordan's project list seems quite conservative compared to other Saab Junkies.

I cant comment myself as I have

71 99 project
84 notchback project
86 street track project
85 900 Spg clone project
72 MacGregor Venture Sailboat project
83 Honda Cm250 project
95 F150 Tow Rig project
Plus about a dozen bicycles
8 RC planes
11 RC cars
2 RC boats
120 HO slot cars
ETC ETC.

Leave Poor Jordan Alone! LOL!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”