Project "Daily Driver"

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Project "Daily Driver"

Postby Jordan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Luke wrote:
Jordan wrote:BTW, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that MSS exhaust. It seems to be more of a problem that it was early/later bumper as it needs to be like 4 inches to the left so it doesn't mash into the bumper cover or the tow hook. I really don't want to drop the axle again to switch exhausts....

Cut through the tailpipe at a slight angle and clock the pipe slightly to align where it needs to be and weld it up?

Access and proximity to gas tank makes Jordan worry.

edit: alright, aright, I can cut it farther down I suppose and weld in a stock exhaust tail pipe. They look better anyway ;) Using the exiting piece would look weird because its cut as down and at an angle. If I swiveled it, it would look like one of those DTM jobbies :lol:

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:51 am

:huh:

images.jpg
images.jpg (7.3 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 am

Ok I took some pictures while I was out with the camera. Nothing too special... but boy has it been a pain in the ass.

2 ball joints, 1 wheel bearing and 2 tie rod ends and a headliner later, my '92/87/90 BAS(E)PG Turbo

And... the other wheel bearing is bad now..
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Should clean up nice though.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:49 am

Finally got her on the road yesterday. Had a bit of a time bleeding the clutch. Turned out I just had some sort of airlock in the line and had to pressurize the system from the top down instead of trying to vacuum it out or pedal method. Of course I did this after swapped MC and line....

Still need to fix the exhaust as it bangs around a little, but it seems to run pretty well considering the hodge-podge of parts I threw at it and the mix of EZK with the turbo engine. That and the speedo doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if the cable just got pulled out from the work on the clutch master or it has something to do with the ABS being unhooked and not having any speed sensors.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat May 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Did a ton of work on my daily driver this week.

When the previous owner did a clutch job he stripped some slave cylinder threads on the transmission case. The bolt eventually backed out and I lost all the transmission fluid and toasted the transmission that was in there....

So I used my spare '92 transmission and installed the Phantom Grip donated to me by Snakes...

Here I am drilling out the holes to accept the later ring gear bolts... Bridgeport Smidgeport :lol:
photo.JPG

I swapped inner drivers, did the carrier bearings and seals and I did the reverse gear "mod" as well as the teeth had a few chips in them.

After that was buttoned up I pulled the engine, installed some Bilsteins SAAB Road holding springs from the parts bin.

Also got around to installing the Airflow kit that I have been hoarding for 8 years. I ended up using several layers of JB weld to fix the screw holes on the whale tail , re-drilled them and mounted it with two small strips of the VHB tape on the back

I was having problems with the FPR sticking at odd times.... so I replaced that. Also the one of the brass tubes on the intake loosened up so that was re-epoxied as well.

While the engine was out I did the main seals and oil pump o-ring.

I finally installed the Oil Cooler back from when we destroyed it at Stratton last year with the proper steel housing as well as the turbo battery tray I had neglected to move.

I gave the valve cover a nice (fast) wrinkle finish. (forgot to take a photo)

The hood, doors, and hatch are actually all from my SPG so I'm calling it a "re-shell" of the first un finished project... now finished...pretty much ;) It only took me 10 years.

DSC_0169.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0172.JPG

DSC_0173.JPG

It's supposed to rain so I figured I'd run it at the AutoX tomorrow instead of the 99. Stock right down to the paper air filter :lol:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat May 14, 2011 3:58 pm

I really like the picture with the 99 peeking out of the barn, that's desktop background worthy.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Sun May 15, 2011 12:51 am

black car needs bigger wheels or a least more tire.

some nice 16" compomotive 5 spokes or 205 55 15 rubber.

until then please don't make me look at it anymore.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun May 15, 2011 6:37 am

They are a wee small but it looks worse in the photos because of the flash hi-lighting the inner wheel well. :lol: I have those big fender arches too... but they look like a pain to put on.

Don't worry you wont have to see it ever again. :bawl:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 am

Jordan wrote:Don't worry you wont have to see it ever again. :bawl:

Ok I lied.

A few pics from the auto X.. it was wet...really wet. I manage to swap ends once on a sweeper during a deluge...that was fun.

Needs more boost. I got the best of a 9-3SS but got schooled by a veteran in a '07 Civic Si. The course was very odd... basically the cones were set up on opposite sides of the lot and it was an alternating zig-zag pattern across the lot, doing a hair-pin turn around each cone.

I also still have the front sway bar installed which I am not used to. Turn-in was so fast I think I took out the first cone on the inside.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice, 900 looks great!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Looks awesome! It makes me want another black hatch C900T....

It actually looks almost just like the final incarnation of my '85 SPG. I had converted it to the later headlights (Ecodes!) so I could use the Airflow bumpers and big fender flares to cover rust. The only real difference between the appearance of my old car and your current car were that you don't have the big flares on yet (put them on!) and my Shelbies were painted pearl white.

Ditto on what Drew said about the peeking 99 photo.

I want your car(s) now :thumbsup:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue May 17, 2011 6:55 am

Thanks Geoffy,

Those big flares look like that attach via studs with holes in the fenders?

The other thing (you can't see that much from 20 ft away) is the rear quarters have these painted pin stripes I'd like to get rid of. I need to fix a door seal and maybe put in a radio or something...

Btw, does anybody know where you can get the plastic door seal "T" thingies... I've used up my supply and at least half of them usually break when you pull them out.

Also, I had a set of e-codes I gave to Leanne, but they must have been cheap ones since both of the lenses cracked and broke apart so I took them back off. The reflector/bodies are fine... just need replacement glass.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 am

I may have some of those T thingies. Ill look around and see if I can find them.

Are you coming to Carlisle?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue May 17, 2011 11:27 am

Yeah, I'll be at Luke's Fri night and be there Sat.

Cool, Thanks. I'll bring the new seal with me in case I have time to fix it for the trip back.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue May 17, 2011 11:37 am

Do you mean the white plastic inserts that go in the rectangular holes to accept the half-turn plastic fasteners? Like holds the rear interior panels on? They're the same for the trunk lid and rear interior panels, the car I'm parting has lots, I grabbed myself 8-10 but I have more if you need them and no one else finds 'em.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”