ChumpCar - Fart-hinder Racing

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Krasch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

ChumpCar - Fart-hinder Racing

Postby Krasch » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:29 pm

It has been awhile since I checked in on this forum. In that time I have gone ChumpCar racing in a 1992 900S (2.1L). Picked the car up a few years ago from Jerry Danner at Mile-Hi in Denver. Paid $300 for the car and drove it home with the intent of fixing it to be a daily driver. However, it had no 4th gear, the heater valve leaked, the steering column cage was broken, the right side INNER CV joint was toast, exhaust pipe was cracked at the manifold, paint was faded, interior leather was beat up, etc. etc.

I didn't have the $$ nor the long-time garage space necessary to work on the car, so it sat... until this spring. Our team name was Fart-hinder* Racing (*Swedish for Speed-bump).

Rather than repeat details on how it all went, take a look at our blog:
http://farthinderracing.blogspot.com/

and/or our Facebook page. Search for Fart-hinder Racing

At the moment the 900 is in need of engine and tranny work. I need to pick it up from the Twin Cities area where it currently resides and get it home to Duluth. Hope to run some more ChumpCar events with it, maybe use it for some rallycross or ice racing, too.
Tim Winker

Krasch

Re: ChumpCar - Fart-hinder Racing

Postby Krasch » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:46 pm

BTW, Saabs have been doing pretty well in the ChumpCar series. Ken Payne and family have an '85 900T painted pink and dubbed "Sweede Lil Pig". They are racing this weekend at Roebling Road in GA.

RobinBankRacing won a 24 hours of LeMons race with their crap can 900T earlier this year. And Team Cougar Bait out of Stillwater, MN, won the 24 hour (shortened to 21 hours by rain) ChumpCar race at Iowa Speedway in June with a '99 9-3.
Tim Winker

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 am

I was going to run Infineon (Laguna Seca), but that was just cancelled this week and replaced with an event at Willow Springs middle of November, so I will be there with my 99 (unless it turns out to be too bomb, then I'll just buy something cheapy and run that, I might know where I can get a 9000....)

I am also seriously considering this masterpiece:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1904361806.html

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Krasch

Re: ChumpCar

Postby Krasch » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 am

I thought Infineon was formerly known as Sears Point, and Laguna Seca was now Mazda Raceway. Was sort of hoping the Infineon race would happen as I would like to drive on that track. I was a track announcer at both tracks for pro races in the early 1980s when I lived in Palo Alto.

Saab 900 Art car? Great starting point for a ChumpCar project as they give bonus laps for theme. We didn't have the time to paint the Fart-hinder Saab, but we did add a large styrofoam butt.
Tim Winker

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 pm

You're right, I'm a dumbtard.

I was looking forward to it too, it would have been much cooler than Willow, although I could get to an open day and practice on the track some before the event, that'd be a big advantage, but I am wondering how the field will be with such a last minute change of venue that's so far away from the original.

Best,
Drew

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am

I'm tired of the theme car crap but love racing stuff that's otherwise junk. The low cost and accessabilty of the Lemons type racing is great.... hope it lasts. The quantity if high dollar Toter-Homes and 18 wheelers in the pits of these events is on the rise though. I think the nature of the rules will preserve the posibility of a winning team spending $2k or less for an entire event now matter what other teams are doing.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Krasch

Postby Krasch » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:50 am

One of our team members kept a spreadsheet to track expenses so everyone paid their share.

Cost to build the car was about $2400, and included nearly $600 for 6 tires, and about $1200 for engine and tranny parts at deep discount. Also got a deep sponsorship deal on steel tubing for the roll cage. That worked out to about $600 per driver.

Each of us paid our own travel and lodging expenses (a couple drove their motor homes), but we split entry fees and gas/oil for the racer. Looks like about $2000 split 4 ways for 2 races.

We did have some sponsorships, probably about $2000 worth in money, discounts and donation of parts and time.

When purchased, the 900 did not have 4th gear, so a rebuild of the gearbox was in order. We cobbled together one good box from a couple of used ones, but still needed to install new bearings and gaskets. We also put in all new ball joints, outer tie rod ends, front brake rotors and Axxis metallic brake pads all round.

The engine spun a rod bearing and overheated on the first lap at Brainerd, still not sure why. A local salvage yard donated a used 2.1L short block, and we installed new bearings, rings, chain & guides, etc. Hence all the parts expense. With a decent running eng/trans and some other frugal parts scrounging, the cost-to-build would be much less.

It did well at Iowa until a hose ruptured and all the water (not coolant, as per ChumpCar rules) dumped out and it overheated again. This time the head was warped and our race was done.

In the end, the four of us (plus a couple of extra drivers for the Iowa race) spent a little over $1000 apiece to go racing with a LOAD of seat time.
Tim Winker

Krasch

Postby Krasch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 am

Fetched the fart-hinder Saab out of its winter resting place (under a snowbank which has now melted) and got it home this weekend.

Looking for one more driver for the Brainerd Races, June 4-5 and July 17 (I think). Send me a message if interested.
Tim Winker

Claude Hutchings
Number of Saabs currently owned: 60

Postby Claude Hutchings » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:35 am

Krasch wrote:Fetched the fart-hinder Saab out of its winter resting place (under a snowbank which has now melted) and got it home this weekend.

Looking for one more driver for the Brainerd Races, June 4-5 and July 17 (I think). Send me a message if interested.

Hi Tim...hopefully you get a driver that is familiar with the tender gearbox. We have found that is what makes our car at Rbankracing stay together!!! SAAB nuts behind the wheel!!

Krasch

Postby Krasch » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Time for an update.

The next ChumpCar race for Fart-hinder Racing is July 16 at Brainerd, a 14-hour enduro. We have six drivers, including myself and former CART ChampCar driver Herm Johnson. One of them is sponsoring the car so he and his son can get a chance to drive.

Still having issues over an engine, mostly related to the engine rebuilder who always procrastinates until the very last minute. He has had the race engine for about 6 weeks, but has done nothing on it. Details on our blog http://farthinderracing.blogspot.com/

Got a bunch of little stuff done today (July 2), and hope to paint the car USFS green on Sunday.
Tim Winker

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:46 am

Wow, I'm going to be in MN and then Door County last week of this month, wish I had thought to see when the Brainerd race was to come by!

I'm sure it will all come together just fine!

Krasch

Postby Krasch » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:46 pm

We could use a knowledgeable Saab tech as part of our crew. Four of the other drivers own Porsches.

Herm Johnson & I are both working as taxi drivers these days, so we may add a TAXI roof light.
Tim Winker

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”