Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am

I spent some time working over the weekend. The manifolds, turbo and a few little things went on, and I made a couple aluminum brackets to adapt the 9000 fuel rail. I decided to clean and paint the motor mount brackets which still need to go on. Other than that I think all that is left is the alternator and cps kit, so the motor is essentially finished.

I also got the front half laterals fitted, and made the windshield bar. Base plates were also made. I figured it would be a good idea to tack things together at this point so things wouldn't move around while I make the roof diagonals. It took me two tries on the windshield bar as the first one was a tad short after notching, but things went better on the second try. So far I think things are looking good, any concerns with anything before I continue?

Also, Luke, I notice you use taco gussets at the corners of the windshield, does that help visibility over using a piece of tube?

Ignore the piles of stuff on the car, I need more space to put my crap!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 am

Lookin good! The Pagoda event is in June, you might just make it in time if you keep at it.

You may want to get in contact with some PHA people to just make sure you're all set ahead of time. I can get you some contact info when you think youre close.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Thats looking terrific! Really nice fitting work. I like taco gussets, they actually spread the load more uniformly than tube section braces that have more of a point loading, but either will work obviously. Rally requires them on both sides of the junction - but with the way I did my roof supports it pretty much became a gusset on the backside, and everyone thats tech'd the car has really liked the cage.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I used tube reinforcements on the inside corners at the windscreen on my yellow car, and one thing I immediately noticed is they're a really convenient place to grab to hoist yourself up out of the seat.

Can't comment on visibility driving yet, but they're out of my field of view when sitting in it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:11 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Lookin good! The Pagoda event is in June, you might just make it in time if you keep at it.

You may want to get in contact with some PHA people to just make sure you're all set ahead of time. I can get you some contact info when you think youre close.

I know it's a bit ambitious, but that is the timeline I am shooting for. Not sure if Ill be able to make a PHA event this year, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, so I will make the trip next year. Some contact info would be nice before I head to an event.

Im leaning towards doing taco gussets in those corners. I got a sheet of 16gauge to do most of the gussets, but Id think something thicker might be warranted up there? Maybe equal to the tubing thickness.

DrewP wrote:I used tube reinforcements on the inside corners at the windscreen on my yellow car, and one thing I immediately noticed is they're a really convenient place to grab to hoist yourself up out of the seat.

Hadn't thought about that.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Another issue I have encountered is that the more I look, the more places I find where the wiring harness is degrading. I've decided it will be easier, and more practical in the long run, to start from scratch and build a new one. Id also like to get rid of the stock fuse box, I've always found it to be a pain to try and get at the wiring inside of those, and I would like to have things mounted inside the car. Question is, I have not been able to find a good fuse panel that I like. They either just are too cheap, don't have enough circuits, or the few I've found that look nice have the terminals on the front which would present mounting issues. So, any suggestions where I might find something suitable? Im looking for something like what is in the current rally car.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:13 am

Both of my rally cars and jordans race car are using this box:

http://order.waytekwire.com/productdeta ... TO%20FUSE/

It uses snap in GM style connections for at the rear and there are two main buses to run thing off, one right to the battery and one run through a high amp relay thats switched with ignition.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks, just placed an order!

Raul
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby Raul » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:05 am

Todays news article:

[baleeted]

It's got its own thread anyway....

- your friendly admin

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Raul wrote:Todays news article:

With more SUVs being built than ever before, it's ironic that fewer are designed to go off-road. There once was a time when rugged, truck-based sport-utes designed to explore the great outdoors were all you could buy. Today, nearly all of those muscular machines have been replaced by more sedate, car-based crossovers better suited for trips to the mall or library than to a campsite or creek bed. So what's a nature lover looking for weather-tight body work, low-range gearing and a tough, truck-based chassis to do? We went searching, and here's what we found:

Perhaps the most obnoxious thread jack ever. :crazy:
I am the 73%

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
Perhaps the most obnoxious thread jack ever. :crazy:

Worst yet it is the same as the post on Saablink. At least it was a new thread...Nice
Nice photo work, or that KITT driving?

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am

Todays news update: Work Continues!

Since Im pressed for time these days, I didn't spend as much time with the paint as I would have liked, but it turned out pretty good. I sprayed rustoleum primer and gloss white for the engine bay and front wheels wells, the interior and rear wheel wells will get the same treatment later.

Work also continued on the roll cage. I made the diagonal roof bars, and .125in corner gussets, and then welded everything. I also made the base plates and got those welded in.
Not a beautiful tig welded work of art, but I think it will work.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 am

Nice work!.. those welds look pretty good in my book.

dan-the-kid
Nickname: dan-the-kid

Postby dan-the-kid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Nice work!

Are you also gonna brace up the rear of the car, ie between the two rear shocks?

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:34 pm

dan-the-kid wrote:
Are you also gonna brace up the rear of the car, ie between the two rear shocks?

Yep. After the door bars are done the main hoop and front laterals will get welded to the base plates. Then the rear section will get done.

For my own benefit, things still to add from Article 253:

253-7,9,15,17,18,29,22,30

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”