Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby KPAero » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:08 am

Alright, I'll definitely be adding one then. Now I just have to decide on the ratio. I can see why the 2:1 would be good for rally and especially rallyx. Wondering if the 1.5:1 would be better for hill climb where Im not ever actually going close to full lock, but just feel at times like it would be nice if I could be moving the wheel just a bit less. Any thoughts on if the 2:1 is a big enough change to make the car feel twitchy? Maybe I'm over thinking it and it won't matter given that the 900 is a pretty stable car to begin with?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:17 am

I think either one you will get used to. I think probably a 1.5 would be pretty sufficient for what you want without the added stress to the steering hydraulic system you get with a 2:1. Also on tarmac w/ sticky tires, a 2:1 might be more of a handful although that is just conjecture.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Jordan wrote:I think either one you will get used to. I think probably a 1.5 would be pretty sufficient for what you want without the added stress to the steering hydraulic system you get with a 2:1. Also on tarmac w/ sticky tires, a 2:1 might be more of a handful although that is just conjecture.

:idea: Isn't the 2:1 reducer easier on the hydraulic system because it takes 2 turns of the human for every 1 turn of the rack? VS 1.5 turns of the human to each of turn of the rack...which is a faster ratio and works the hydraulics more?
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
Jordan wrote:I think either one you will get used to. I think probably a 1.5 would be pretty sufficient for what you want without the added stress to the steering hydraulic system you get with a 2:1. Also on tarmac w/ sticky tires, a 2:1 might be more of a handful although that is just conjecture.

:idea: Isn't the 2:1 reducer easier on the hydraulic system because it takes 2 turns of the human for every 1 turn of the rack? VS 1.5 turns of the human to each of turn of the rack...which is a faster ratio and works the hydraulics more?

Seth, check the orientation of your quickener, you may have made slowener?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Luke wrote:Seth, check the orientation of your quickener, you may have made slowener?

Yeah dude, I think you put it in backwards. ;)

Pascal, when I first drove my 99 with the 2:1 I almost drove off the road. A little steering input resulted in a whole lot more wheel angle than I was used to and I started sawing the thing back and forth trying to correct. I jammed the brakes, got the thing pointed straight, and drove slower. I got used to it pretty quickly and was pretty happy with it. I think you'd probably be happy with which ever one you use but my inclination is to go with 2:1, simply because that's what I've used and was happy with it. The only tarmac I drove it on was to/from events so I can't comment on which ratio would be best for at-speed tarmac use.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Isn't stock like 3.5:1?

Maybe I am phrasing this wrong. Stock is 3.5 turns lock to lock. I thought my reducer was 2 turns lock to lock vs the other which is 1.5 turns lock to lock.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Isn't stock like 3.5:1?

Maybe I am phrasing this wrong. Stock is 3.5 turns lock to lock. I thought my reducer was 2 turns lock to lock vs the other which is 1.5 turns lock to lock.

Ok. I see my cunfusion. Guess I shouldn't think about this stuff at work while in the midst of a plc programming challenge.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Crazyswede wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:Isn't stock like 3.5:1?

Ok. I see my cunfusion. Guess I shouldn't think about this stuff at work while in the midst of a plc programming challenge.

Sometimes I think twice before getting on a GE powered Jet Aircraft knowing Seth was part of building it. :lol:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm

DrewP wrote:Image

we have been working on this project for 1.5 years and we just finished the main portion of it. We had to install a variable frequency drive on each of 8 100hp pump systems that run on 480v. These things draw about 100 amps when they are running and in their original setup they were switched on with a motor starter...very very violent. The old system control was dangerous and inefficient. Installing these drives reduces the annual electric bill for the factory by about 2% and cuts our shop overhead rate by about 13 cents. We had to install all new infrastructure, wiring, controls, plcs etc. The biggest challenge was in getting an independent machine with minimal communications to interface with a Versamax PLC in the drive and then to further interface with an ancient 9070 PLC in the main brain for the area. I have been working the project through efficiency Vermont and the total refund was in the $300,000 range.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Geoff wrote:
Luke wrote:Seth, check the orientation of your quickener, you may have made slowener?

Yeah dude, I think you put it in backwards. ;)

Ha jokes on you. I have yet to take it out of the box :thumbsup:
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Crazyswede wrote:We have been working on this project for 1.5 years and we just finished the main portion of it. We had to install a variable frequency drive on each of 8 100hp pump systems that run on 480v....
I have been working the project through efficiency Vermont and the total refund was in the $300,000 range.

I love it. I love when a client won't / can't change existing controls to interface with new things, and you end up with a crazy daisy-chain of different generations of things all trying to play nice with each other. (We do prototypes, and a lot of machine retrofits or controls upgrades in addition to hardware upgrades).

100hp 480v pump that just clunked on must have sounded rad, but probably chewed up a LOT of stuff. Probably had a lot of 500 MCM to recycle after that too....
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 pm

I will be converting tje 9070 brain over to an RX3I first quarter of 2014. Likely to follow will be replacing the genius lan with profinet. Already have .5 million in projects lined up...just have to get approval.
I am the 73%

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Since they have already been well discussed Im not going to bore anyone here with details, but now that I have my S&R gear set in hand I figured I would share some pictures since everyone likes those. :yay:

Here is the case I'll be using.

Image[/QUOTE]

Question on dipsticks, are the 5 speed and 4 speed transmission ones the same in terms of length? Im assuming yes, but figured it would be worth asking since I didn't get one with the 4 speed case.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:45 pm

I can't believe you posted the pictures on Saablink before here :dunno: ...
As far as dip sticks, it is common practice to use the 4 speed dip stick and add a filler cap to the cam cover. A 5 speed engine oil filler tube is too large is diameter to fit in the 4 speed case

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”