Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby KPAero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:55 pm

I know, but I figured you guys already knew about these and I wanted to show them on Saablink and let everyone know who imported them.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 pm

As for the dipstick, I was more concerned about the transmission dipstick. For the engine I was thinking of just making an adaptor to thread into the transmission and also fit the diameter of the filler tube.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:20 pm

KPAero wrote:As for the dipstick, I was more concerned about the transmission dipstick. For the engine I was thinking of just making an adaptor to thread into the transmission and also fit the diameter of the filler tube.

There used to be an adapter available to mount the thin engine oil dipstick tube to the later transmissions.
Doesn't appear to be any difference between the 4 and 5 speed tranny dipsticks.

John

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:26 pm

For a turbo, I'd think should work, The N/A's have some interference issues with the header sometimes.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Slowly getting things done on the car. First off I ordered a quaife which has arrived. I also ordered some shoulder bolts that might work to adapt the 4 speed ring gear to the larger bolt holes in the diff. A couple dimensions were not listed for the bolts though, if they don't work I will look at getting some spacers.

I've also almost finished my dual master cylinder set up as well. I modified the stock pedal assembly to use a balance bar and give clearance for the two cylinders coming through the firewall.

Then made up a plate for the masters to bolt to. This still needs to be welded to the firewall to complete the project.

And while I was working on that I also fixed the worn out clutch pedal.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 pm

KPAero wrote:Slowly getting things done on the car. First off I ordered a quaife which has arrived. I also ordered some shoulder bolts that might work to adapt the 4 speed ring gear to the larger bolt holes in the diff. A couple dimensions were not listed for the bolts though, if they don't work I will look at getting some spacers.

I think you are really going to enjoy the quaife over an open diff. I personally would try to avoid the use of a shoulder bolt. Shoulder bolts have a sharp transition from the threaded shank to the smooth portion of the bolt. This creates a stress riser when the bolt is used in shear or bending such as the ring gear. You might be better off using a sleeve that is slightly under size in length, so the bolts will be properly torqued and clamp the ring gear to the diff.

Friendly reminder on adding the additional plungers.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=344889

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 pm

I personally would try to avoid the use of a shoulder bolt. Shoulder bolts have a sharp transition from the threaded shank to the smooth portion of the bolt. This creates a stress riser when the bolt is used in shear or bending such as the ring gear. You might be better off using a sleeve that is slightly under size in length, so the bolts will be properly torqued and clamp the ring gear to the diff.

I had thought about that, but didn't come to a final conclusion on what would work best. I did not find any off the shelf sleeves that would work, so I would have to have some turned. Or maybe its time for a lathe?

Friendly reminder on adding the additional plungers.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=344889

Thank you, did not know about that.

paulh

Postby paulh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 pm

KPAero wrote:Slowly getting things done on the car. First off I ordered a quaife which has arrived. I also ordered some shoulder bolts that might work to adapt the 4 speed ring gear to the larger bolt holes in the diff. A couple dimensions were not listed for the bolts though, if they don't work I will look at getting some spacers.

Delorean and I are working on this same issue, trying to fit our Gripper diffs into 4spds, gmreider has apparently located some tubing that is 8mm id x 10mm od, he's going to order some up, we'll let you know how it goes, and maybe he can post his source here. The shouldered bolts are also tough since you have to keep in mind that the stock bolts have a very low profile head for clearance purposes with the shift shaft, so you don't want to get yourself in trouble with that aspect of it either.

Paul

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 am

I thought someone had found the sleeves for the turbo exhaust elbow were a perfect fit? I don't know if they are available new. but I'm sure you guys could source them :)

edit: I looked it up in SAAB EPC and it is part# 8367864, they aren't listed as NLA, but are also over $5 a piece from SAAB. :(

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Paul H said I had found a source for some bushing material. It is 304 stainless tubing with an OD of 10mm and an ID of 8mm. I ordered afoot of it and we will see if it is suitable. The source was www.microgroup.com Look for all tubing and the metric stainless 304 and 316 . What I ordered was 304M10 x 1 foot. Hope that helps you all. Or wait and see if what I get is suitable. About $40.00 with shipping , should make 20 plus bushes.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:26 pm

If you find that tubing works that would be good to know.

Worked today on a shoe box so I can move to dual external fuel pumps. I struggled for a few minutes when I first tried to weld the sides together, and then realized I had forgotten to switch the welder over to AC. :lol:

I took inspiration from Lukes mounting method for the pumps themselves. Still need to order some fittings to plumb everything. I also made a short harness for the two pumps. Im planning to change the pump wiring a bit to fully take advantage of the dual pumps and have separate relays and double double throw switches so I can switch them on without the ECU's help if I want. I was planning to leave the feed pump in the tank hooked up, needed?

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Looks good, what pumps are you using? I've got to figure something out for the ITB car, its set up for dual pumps right now.

Paul

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I ordered pumps for a late 90's 12 cylinder merc from eEuroparts!, they were priced well and should provide plenty of fuel for my needs.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 am

Looks like great progress Pascal! :yay:

I recently added the Walbro 255 (GSL392) to the catalog, but the Walbro shipment hasn't come in yet.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/58429/F ... re-GSL392/

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57 pm

Pascal

Are you running the stock tank or a fuel cell?
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”