Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby KPAero » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:45 pm

One of my planned project for before the start of this year was to upgrade the radiator. I've been using a new stock Nissens unit, which did the job, but by the end of a run at a hillclimb temps are always in the "mmmm, a bit hot" range on the stock gauge. At Mt. Washington where a run is over twice a normal hillclimb, temps climb pretty close to the red bit at the top of the gauge. As you can see, I'm very aware of what the stock gauge indicates in terms of actual temperature. :lol: This is with one or both fans running constantly. Anyway, I never worried too much because they drop quickly with the fans on at the end of a run.

So, my upgrade started with a reasonably priced generic radiator from Griffin. It had the ports all roughly in the right spots, although they were for a slightly larger hose. I cured this with some aluminum tube I already had. I then welded the bung it had for a cap shut. Now it was ready for install, but being a taller(although not as wide), thicker, core, it didn't fit in the stock radiator support.

So I bought some thin wall tube in various sizes and set to work. I wanted something fairly easy to remove. I added some tube with a weld nut inside to act as a receiver on the inner fender well for the top mounts, and then a folded sheet metal tab on the bottom. This lets you shove the whole thing in place and it self align's so it can be bolted in. If Im honest, it needs a slight re-work to be a bit smoother, but its ok for now. Here is the basic frame done.

Bolted in.

Once I had this done I added mounts for the radiator, intercooler, headlights, grill etc.

Also, added some new aluminum brackets to tie the inner and outer fenders. Hood pins are in these as well.

Here is the start of my hood pivot points. I was surprised how quickly I was able to get the hood fit. I essentially copied the stock design, but needed to shorten the arms on the hood to get the alignment correct in the closed position.

And pulled back out so I can finish welding the last few brackets that are tacked at the moment.

Speaking of welding, my brother recently purchased a nice gas lense kit. Really amazing difference compared to a standard nozzle. On the shorter welds, or tacks, it was neat to have the metal not discolor at all until after the post flow stopped. I also liked the ability to use more stick out for going around the small tubes. With some of the recent welding talk, I figured I'd mention this, and recommend trying one out if you like TIG welding.

Im also just about finished with some pin stands. Grabbed a pic with all the individual pieces.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:48 am

Nice fab work on the support. Great looking design too. That small diameter tubing is amazingly strong if put in the right orientation and a few simple well places gussets.

Did you burn out the stands too or is it a kit?

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:36 am

I made the stands myself. They are all welded up, except I need to make caps for the tops. Didn't have a good way to measure how to size them until everything was assembled.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:19 pm

KPAero wrote:I made the stands myself. They are all welded up, except I need to make caps for the tops. Didn't have a good way to measure how to size them until everything was assembled.

Nice. Got a pix of the finished stand? Adjustable or where they sit is where they sit?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:55 am

Nice work Pascal! That really opens things up for easier access to stuff on the front of the car too.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:57 pm

Nice, I always wanted to do something like that - I like the idea of some sort of pivot to fold it out of the way, especially on a 99 that would be nice.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:52 am

squaab99t wrote:Nice. Got a pix of the finished stand? Adjustable or where they sit is where they sit?

Non-adjustable. The long bars make the triangle, with the plates welded on both sides and the short piece of tube pushed through the two holes. Then the pin goes inside that tube. I'll try and get a pic today.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:53 am

Luke wrote:Nice, I always wanted to do something like that - I like the idea of some sort of pivot to fold it out of the way, especially on a 99 that would be nice.

Thanks. It won't pivot, but I think it will be easy enough to remove that I'll start removing the rad support to pull the engine.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 am

We discussed using a pin system to hold the rad support in place with quick disconnects on the cooling lines and the front harness so that you could pull the front end off in a matter of minutes if you had to get in there for service. Would save on draining coolant and reduce the time for plugging things in.
I am the 73%

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:14 am

KPAero wrote:Thanks. It won't pivot, but I think it will be easy enough to remove that I'll start removing the rad support to pull the engine.

I am but a noob but the few times I've pulled an engine I've taken the rad support off with all the accessories still attached. Only takes a relatively short amount of time and let's you get better access and visibility to some stuff and you don't have to raise the engine as high.

Perhaps it's not as practical on a rally stage but I find like that, taking the hood off, pulling the dash, etc a little upfront time can cut down on some of the annoying jobs in a c900. :dunno:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:39 am

I've never done it that way, but fitting the 16V engines into the two 99's was all done with the core supports completely removed, and you're right, it does make access way easier. I think I'll start doing it that way since the coolant has to come out anyway, and then it's just the little 8mm nuts on the outer fenders for the corner lights and some electrical connectors. I usually pull the front bumper off too so I can get a little more reach into the front.

Taking the bumper off of course leaves fewer flat places to set the beer down on though...
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:28 pm

DrewP wrote:I've never done it that way, but fitting the 16V engines into the two 99's was all done with the core supports completely removed, and you're right, it does make access way easier. I think I'll start doing it that way since the coolant has to come out anyway, and then it's just the little 8mm nuts on the outer fenders for the corner lights and some electrical connectors. I usually pull the front bumper off too so I can get a little more reach into the front.

Taking the bumper off of course leaves fewer flat places to set the beer down on though...

On a 99 its pretty much required for any engine R&R, maybe on a geardrive transmission you could unbolt the duck bill and squeak it out with the rad in place, but why hassle, 2 bolts, 2 nuts and the bottom headlamp screws and its out of the way.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Got the stands finished up, painting today. I may add some sort of lug bolt holder at some point. I've used them a couple times now and they are nice and stable and put the car at a nice height.

I also had the car out for the second rally sprint, but didn't make it very far. The gearbox blew up .5 mile into the first stage. One of the diff bearing carriers cracked somewhat dramatically. Not sure if that was the initial failure or not. It's been a bit of a light year for driving with rally dates conflicting with hillclimbs, so it was a bit disappointing from that perspective not to get the mileage in. On the other hand this box was a cheap replacement several years ago from a parts vehicle, so the broken gearbox didn't sting much.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

the s&r box i put together has put up with a ton of abuse so far. I hope you get yours back together and it becomes a non-issue.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”