Building a 900 for hillclimbs

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Building a 900 for hillclimbs

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 pm

KPAero wrote:
Luke wrote:Well, sorta, the actual SAAB 900 fia homolagation (for group A) expired a long time back - like 1988 or something, so thats not even relevant anyway because we can't enter an fia international event in any modern class. But the way RallyCar and NASA interpret that date (I know this is retarded but its what they do) is as the date of issue for the vehicles logbook -

Aahh, didn't realize that. Seems like RA likes to interpret a lot of FIA rules in new and interesting ways, fuel cells....

Is that the...metal box must be housed inside a metal box interpretation?

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Thats what first came to mind, I feel like I've heard of a couple other little oddities like that too, but can't think of what they were right now.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 am

KPAero wrote:Also, any thoughts on adding a bar down low between the main hoop feet? Id think the X would already make it pretty strong, so would that be overkill?

I have a straight bar between the main hoop feet. It used to be an SCCA requirement. Its nice to have but the full X in the plane of the main hoop does just as much, or more. Sometimes you do see an X between the main hoop feet and the rear backstay feet.

A couple of us had talked a few years ago about adding a "J Bar" (named after a person, not the shape) between the front legs to keep the front legs from coming in. But that may get in the way of your feet and the pedals. I think a dash crossbar and tieing the front legs to the front suspension point should be sufficient.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:05 pm

I decided to take a break from building the cage this weekend and instead worked on getting the engine back in. There were still a few things to do before it was ready like bolting the trans on. I also installed some other little things like the CPS wheel, mounts, power steering pump etc. After putting the steering rack and upper a-arms in the engine went in.

Engines back in the car now.

Lower A-arms, springs and shocks were also installed.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:24 pm

KPAero wrote:I decided to take a break from building the cage this weekend and instead worked on getting the engine back in. There were still a few things to do before it was ready like bolting the trans on. I also installed some other little things like the CPS wheel, mounts, power steering pump etc. After putting the steering rack and upper a-arms in the engine went in.

Out of curiosity how is the attachment of the trigger wheel addressed on the inside. There has to be more than the tacks. You might have already checked, but make sure you are not using an EZK harmonic pulley. The A/C bolts are clocked relative to the Wood-ruff key slot.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:43 pm

The CPS wheel is welded to the ac pulley on the back as well. This looks like it will work fine, and it fits nicely, but there are a few areas where the finish could be better. This engine, and the pulleys are from a 92' Turbo, so I should be all set there.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:09 am

Looking sooo awesome, I love the white engine bay and wheel wells, I do all the rally cars like that - it makes servicing in dim light so much easier.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks, I actually decided to go white after seeing how nice your cars looked like that. Its already made working in those areas nicer too. Unfortunately it looks better in pictures than it does up close in person. The wind picked up after I had painted and blew some dust/dirt into the wet paint. :ranting: At least it's not noticeable until within a few feet.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 am

When you get it to roller status with the body back together, push it outside and take some pics of it. Front, back, side, etc. I'll play around with a few graphic ideas for you.

Lookin good otherwise!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am

Its going to get dirty really quick anyway so don't fret. If your deadline is approaching an you need some extra hands, let me know. I don't think you are too far from me. Looks like you have it under control though!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Raul, is that you? :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Geoff wrote:
Raul, is that you? :lol:

Raul Red was applied well here, as you can see I gave up trying to remove it.

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Jordan wrote:Its going to get dirty really quick anyway so don't fret. If your deadline is approaching an you need some extra hands, let me know. I don't think you are too far from me. Looks like you have it under control though!

Seeing as I didn't shell out the money for real paint, and have only spent $20 on some rustoleum and thinner, I got over it pretty quick. :lol:

Thanks for the offer, if I get desperate I might put out the call for help. Although I am leaving where I have worked for the past seven summers and will be working someplace new this summer. Its a new business though, and I won't be starting until things are up and running towards the end of May. Luckily, that gives me a couple weeks after school ends to work on this full time.

spgeebee88
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby spgeebee88 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 am

nice work man! i love to meet up with ya some time and talk saab seeing how your some what close.

where did you get those Koni's????

KPAero

Postby KPAero » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 am

spgeebee88 wrote:nice work man! i love to meet up with ya some time and talk saab seeing how your some what close.

where did you get those Koni's????

Definitely, Ill be pretty busy over the next few weeks, but sometime after that for sure. Maybe once I have this running.

The Koni's came with the car.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”