16 valve B motor - living the dream

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Luke
Site Admin

Re: 16 valve B motor - living the dream

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am

Heres some stuff that I did a few weeks ago but haven't got around to posting yet....

I followed Geoff's helpful list of waterpump part numbers from mcmaster carr which worked out great.

I started by pressing the ball bearing onto the main shaft:
Then I pressed the seals and the shaft into the block:

Pretty easy and the parts fit perfectly.

The water pump cover is one from a very early 900 so that I can run a different coolant circulation path and reservoir which better evacuates the air in the system than the 99 routing.

nutcase
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby nutcase » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:45 am

I winced when I saw the hammer - then I remembered you're using the coarse tooth shaft. Not Saab's best idea going to the fine tooth one!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 pm

With that style of pump shaft (bolt on top with an O-ring holding the impeller in place) were you able to press the impeller down slowly and do the grease on the underside of the pump cover trick or did you just have to press it home?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:36 am

My early 8-tooth pump I just pressed it all the way down and it seemed to go fine.

When I did the pump on one of the guy's '78 EMS's with the 12-tooth pump I broke the (old) water seal by pressing it all the way down and had to work the impeller down slowly until it just cleared the cover.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Heres something cool thats been in the works for a little while. SAAB did some special lightening of the flywheels on the factory works engines. Based on some photographs of the works engines, we were able re-create the piece. Dave Kennedy at Lesco did the machine work, as he's done some similar flywheels before and was happy to get involved with the project.

You can make out the flywheel fairly well in this pic:
It turned out great and save about 6.5 lbs over stock.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Luke wrote:Heres something cool thats been in the works for a little while. SAAB did some special lightening of the flywheels on the factory works engines. Based on some photographs of the works engines, we were able re-create the piece. Dave Kennedy at Lesco did the machine work, as he's done some similar flywheels before and was happy to get involved with the project.

That's hot. :luke:

I bet that ate up a bunch of end mills-- aren't those flywheels hardened?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm

You're going to have this whole thing balanced.... aren't you? o_O

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:12 pm

Its been balanced, if you look at the flywheel at about 2 o'clock on the 2nd pic you can see the peck marks.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm

How much to do another one?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Was just the flywheel balanced or the whole rotating assembly? There's a big difference. Just because a flywheel is balanced it doesn't mean that the whole assembly is balanced. The rotating assembly could have been balanced without the flywheel and the flywheel could be balanced independently and as a unit it could be very unbalanced. I'm sure you know what you're doing, I'd just hate to see the thing shake it self to death after you've put all that work into it. ;)

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Dave usually makes me send him the pressure plate I'm going to use to match it to the flywheel when he does them for me.

I'm sure it's all under control.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:22 am

I just had my water pump rebuilt at Troll Motors here in Seattle. Nate said he had a few impellers machined, but only had 1 or two seal/bearing kits. Nice to see the mallet action!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:03 am

sjones wrote:I just had my water pump rebuilt at Troll Motors here in Seattle. Nate said he had a few impellers machined, but only had 1 or two seal/bearing kits. Nice to see the mallet action!

Haha just to set the record straight, in that pic I was just tapping the top seal home, not pounding the shaft in.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

Geoff wrote:Was just the flywheel balanced or the whole rotating assembly? There's a big difference. Just because a flywheel is balanced it doesn't mean that the whole assembly is balanced. The rotating assembly could have been balanced without the flywheel and the flywheel could be balanced independently and as a unit it could be very unbalanced. I'm sure you know what you're doing, I'd just hate to see the thing shake it self to death after you've put all that work into it. ;)

The crank was balanced independantly when it was off getting the journals polished a few months ago, and the flywheel was balanced to zero. Thats the way SAAB did them, you can swap flywheel and harmonic balancers without an effect on the balance. This is pretty much true with all 4 cylinders (except the mighty V4). All the rods/pistons were matched to within a gram as well.

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:55 am

Luke wrote:Heres something cool thats been in the works for a little while. SAAB did some special lightening of the flywheels on the factory works engines. Based on some photographs of the works engines, we were able re-create the piece. Dave Kennedy at Lesco did the machine work, as he's done some similar flywheels before and was happy to get involved with the project.

I'm sure its more than 6.5 lbs lighter, which is just on 3kg, when i hade mine lightened by just machining the outer part it was a saving of 2kg. Can you put the flywheel on some accurate scales so we all know for sure what it weighs?
'87 900i
'83 99GL
'76 EMS
'00 Evo 6 tme Red
'00 Evo 6 tme Black

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”