85 900 Notchback arrives in Vermont

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 85 900 Notchback arrives in Vermont

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

I ordered from eEuro.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby V4_guy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I ordered from eEuro.

They were sold after Todd Morin died, so they're under new management now. I've heard lots of recent stories from people unable to get parts and having long waits, the free shipping is now for orders $79+. I used RockAuto for my last parts order, rear brake parts for my 9-5 Aero, and I was very pleased. eEuro had all of the stuff but it was much more expensive.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Crazyswede wrote:todo list grows:

rear upper links have shot bushings

As do all 99s and C900s :lol:

Crazyswede wrote:find source of mysterious clunk when turning up front.

Check the inner swaybar bushings. Those can make a racket and I think I might have been the supplier of those swaybars & bushings and I know none of my bushings were good at the time.

Crazyswede wrote:headlight buckets need to be replaced...all adjusters are toast.

Too bad, that car only spent a few years in the northeast too...

As for Jason's parts... We need to get a good list going of generic replacements for some of these things (like I did with the B engine waterpumps). O-rings should be pretty straightforward. The O-ring for the oil pump pickup tube is the same as the O-ring for the B engine and 16v H engine distributor seal. I think I may have a few so if you need one Jason, PM me your address and I'll put one in an envelope (if I can find them).

I might also have a slave cylinder torn apart and could measure the O-rings for that.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:45 pm

I tried to get the slave seals from the local independent saab guy. He wanted 23.00 for the kit. eE had them for 8.00.

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:46 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I tried to get the slave seals from the local independent saab guy. He wanted 23.00 for the kit. eE had them for 8.00.

I was going to order a distributor plug from eeuro but saw it was "5-7 days" out so I just went to the local dealer for an extra $4, that would suck if eeuro became a last resort place as they used to be near perfect even like a year ago. I'm all for supporting local businesses when possible but that's never too easy when looking for c900 parts.

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:find source of mysterious clunk when turning up front.

Check the inner swaybar bushings. Those can make a racket and I think I might have been the supplier of those swaybars & bushings and I know none of my bushings were good at the time.

There is no front swaybar on that car, the control arm bushings are all original, though, probably time for replacement. I did all of the ball joints and tie-rod ends while I owned it.

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:headlight buckets need to be replaced...all adjusters are toast.
Too bad, that car only spent a few years in the northeast too...

Seth installed his own buckets, I kept the e-codes for that car. I have no idea what happened to the originals.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 pm

i will find some new buckets....it will be nice to be able to aim the headlights. gas mileage is much better...approaching 300 miles on this tank so far and no light yet. other big things to do:

new wiring
16v engine
better 5 speed.
fix headliner
rebuild sunroof or weld on solid roof.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 am

This car cracks me up right now...its a bit like driving a big truck. The notchy loosey goosey transmission likely coupled with soft motor mounts, and a big heavy slow revving 8v engine make shifting smoothly a real challenge. That and the clutch pedal only works in the first inch of stroke... :lol: I need to get the brake pedal closer to the floor and the clutch pedal as well. My old 85 turbo was great...brake and gas were close and the clutch worked just off the floor with minimal pedal travel...all likely due to wear and tear but still handy...that and I think i removed the pedal pads.
I am the 73%

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 am

Crazyswede wrote:This car cracks me up right now...its a bit like driving a big truck. The notchy loosey goosey transmission likely coupled with soft motor mounts, and a big heavy slow revving 8v engine make shifting smoothly a real challenge. That and the clutch pedal only works in the first inch of stroke... :lol: I need to get the brake pedal closer to the floor and the clutch pedal as well. My old 85 turbo was great...brake and gas were close and the clutch worked just off the floor with minimal pedal travel...all likely due to wear and tear but still handy...that and I think i removed the pedal pads.

Weird, that's a recent OEM clutch MC and slave in there, I also replaced the line about 8 years ago.

Having buyer's remorse yet? :-P

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:54 am

V4_guy wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:This car cracks me up right now...its a bit like driving a big truck. The notchy loosey goosey transmission likely coupled with soft motor mounts, and a big heavy slow revving 8v engine make shifting smoothly a real challenge. That and the clutch pedal only works in the first inch of stroke... :lol: I need to get the brake pedal closer to the floor and the clutch pedal as well. My old 85 turbo was great...brake and gas were close and the clutch worked just off the floor with minimal pedal travel...all likely due to wear and tear but still handy...that and I think i removed the pedal pads.

Weird, that's a recent OEM clutch MC and slave in there, I also replaced the line about 8 years ago.

Having buyer's remorse yet? :-P

no buyers remorse. The clutch works fine its just that the pedal feels like it moves a foot and only does something in the first inch or two of stroke. I'd prefer the pedal to only move a short distance and be closer to the floor. I will play with it and see what I can come up with. I might throw a lightened flywheel in this weekend just for fun.
I am the 73%

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Do you still need a working speedo/odo? Pretty sure I still have one from my SPG when I swapped it out for a newer one for T5, yours for the cost of shipping. Or if you don't need it right away and are planning on being at any of the hillclimbs/rallies I will bring it. Let me know if you want it and I will dig it out.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:25 pm

KPAero wrote:Do you still need a working speedo/odo? Pretty sure I still have one from my SPG when I swapped it out for a newer one for T5, yours for the cost of shipping. Or if you don't need it right away and are planning on being at any of the hillclimbs/rallies I will bring it. Let me know if you want it and I will dig it out.

my speedo works but my odo does not. I was going to root through Chris's stuff this weekend to see if he had a good one. If not I'll take yours.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:19 pm

couple of small things today.

replaced the alternator belts...no more squealing

replaced the adjuster inserts on the passenger side headlamp and used the headlight aim tools to properly aim the lights.

removed the front drivers side tire, replaced the valve stem, and remounted and balanced the tire...hopefully it fixes the leaking down.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

I really dig the patina on that car.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:05 pm

I have been driving the car all summer as a second vehicle to the Sprinter Van. With the trans oil cooler lines failing on the Sprinter last night I am down to the 2 door. The 2 door has decided that it no longer will have operating brake lights o_O ...something to dig into tonight. I am thinking it might be the switch.

Also thinking about slapping my 85 head on the 2.1 block I have, running the 16v headers, and matching the intake side work with the bigger 2.1 intake. Thoughts? I know that the compression will bump up quite a bit on the 2.1 due to the 85 head. I suspect that the 2.1 cams in the 85 head will work better than the 85 cams. Question will be in whether the 85 can be opened up enough safely or whether I should just stick with the 2.0 intake for now.
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”