Stripping wheel finish

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Stripping wheel finish

Postby max » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Hey guys- I just took my winter wheels off and put on my new summer rims, and had a thought. Granted, my winter rims were cheap because obviously they're beater rims, but I thought I might experiment with them. Right now they're white which is how they came, but they're scratched, curbed, and beat up. I was thinking maybe I'd mess around with stripping them, fill in the gouges, and maybe re-coat them in white. If I want to strip them, what can I do? I've heard getting wheels blasted at a shop isn't expensive. Anyone ever done this on wheels?
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: Stripping wheel finish

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 am

Depends how chewed up they are. I have just scuffed and painted wheels with a rattlecan before. They look half decent. You may have to clean up any major curbing with a file, sand out the deep gouges, and maybe even use a spot putty in deep ones. But you can do a nice job with 5.00 worth of paint and some sandpaper. Filler primer helps feather in the scratches. If you dont plan to take the tires off the rims, one trick is to let the air out of them, de-bead the outside (face). You can take some cardboard, and cut half circles out of the edge, and slip it under the rim.

If the original paint adhesion is failing, then strip them. I start with a chemical stripper, then have them blasted. Wheel paint is some tough stuff, as is powdercoat. If you dont have to strip it , Dont strip it.

They are winter wheels afterall!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

I don't even care much about the gouges, but rather just getting a clean coat of paint on them. They've just been scuffed from before I even bought them. I don't even care about filing or filling the gouges really.
-Max

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:35 pm

If you just want them to look better then just sand down a bit with 320 or 400 grit, clean, and repaint with your choice of rattle can. The base paint will act as a good base coat. If you strip it down to bare metal you can end up with adhesion issues and it sounds like you're just looking for "nicer" rather than "perfect".
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:00 am

Geoff wrote:If you just want them to look better then just sand down a bit with 320 or 400 grit, clean, and repaint with your choice of rattle can. The base paint will act as a good base coat. If you strip it down to bare metal you can end up with adhesion issues and it sounds like you're just looking for "nicer" rather than "perfect".

That would be correct. Just wanted to see if I could respray them a little bit.
-Max

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”