Garrett GT3071R install on a 900c

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: Garrett GT3071R install on a 900c

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 pm

squaab99t wrote:
I do like the idea of feeding and exiting a FMIC from the top. Jennifer and SaabMatt have built something on this type of routing.

There is another example of that in Germany. A guy built a FMIC on top of a custom made radiator. You can see it here http://akakraft.sbaron.de/bilder/saab/FMIC_eng.htm. They don't necessarily go with FMIC's in Germany because if they cut the tow hooks of or something like that they won't pass the TUV --> safety inspection. Another option would also be a water-cooled intercooler. However, that's getting expensive really fast.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Looks great Dennis, while there is probably no effective difference in real life between the original cut and welded pipe and the smooth mandrel bent one..... it just looks better!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Luke wrote:Looks great Dennis, while there is probably no effective difference in real life between the original cut and welded pipe and the smooth mandrel bent one..... it just looks better!

Well looking good is important...

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 am

squaab99t wrote:Well looking good is important...

<Fernando Lamas>
That install looks marvelous :yay:
</Fernando Lamas>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZl3gGV4H6c (NSFW, sorta -- Billy Crystal nuzzles a woman's mams at one point. They've got a nice round arc to them, like Dennis's new turbo plumbing, not like the original, angular version.)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:40 pm

turbo stephan wrote:
squaab99t wrote:There is another example of that in Germany. A guy built a FMIC on top of a custom made radiator. You can see it here http://akakraft.sbaron.de/bilder/saab/FMIC_eng.htm.

I like that solution. Does the radiator work good enough? I know someone who did that on an '86 900T but used a slightly taller intercooler and a slightly shorter radiator (but four rows instead of the stock two rows) but it wouldn't keep the engine cool so he had to take it all out.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Geoff wrote:
I like that solution. Does the radiator work good enough? I know someone who did that on an '86 900T but used a slightly taller intercooler and a slightly shorter radiator (but four rows instead of the stock two rows) but it wouldn't keep the engine cool so he had to take it all out.

Apparently it does work. You probably can't find much shorter ways unless you integrate an intercooler somehow into the intake. It looks like the radiator is a lot thicker, well it must be, than the original Nissens, which is ~ 1 1/4", just measured outside. The one in the picture was custom made somewhere in Switzerland I believe. This mod has been done by a guy named Thadaeus and he is sometimes hanging out on the German Saab forum as Tadek. If you are interested I am sure I could get him to give us some more information.

Stephan

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks Luke and Hans.
Nice marvelous curves are important.
Next project car will have a different turbo and I/C strategy :thumbsup:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am

I was planning a Top Mount Intercooler project. I managed to get as far as making the hood.

I used to hang with a bunch of guys that played with the mid 80s Dodge compact cars with the Shelby packages .. Chargers, Omni's etc. They used top mount intercoolers. You could get hood scoops at the Dodge dealer. They sold hop up parts for the 2.2 turbo cars.

One guy had an 86 Shelby Charger that was running about 30 psi and ran 9 second quarter miles with it. The valvetrain was weak in them. After he blew it up for the final time and parted it out, I ended up with the scoop. I glassed it to a Saab 900 hood thinking I was gonna do the same thing (TMIC).

They ran Intercoolers that were huge. I recall the one that was on his Charger being about 3-4 inches thick by as wide and as long as the scoop on my hood. They would lay bags of Ice on the intercooler between passes at the strip. I did see one setup with slimline electric fans they would switch on when the underhood temps would get too high. The Cowl Induction hoods were probably one of the most functional scoops ever designed as they took advantage of the low pressure area at the base of the windshield. They would put aluminum heat shields under the intercoolers with a big pad of insulation under it to isolate it from the heat rising off the engine. As long as the car is moving forward the air would flow into the scoop, and thru the IC.

I would like to complete this TMIC project but kinda pushed it to the back burner.
Attachments
tmic.jpg
tmic.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

turbo stephan wrote:
Geoff wrote: You probably can't find much shorter ways unless you integrate an intercooler somehow into the intake.

The Sport and Rally department did that with the 99T rally car. Except it was a water/air intercooler (a.k.a. chargecooler). I think the intake air passed over a radiator inside the intake manifold, the radiator had cold water inside it. I think....
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:54 pm

SwedeSport wrote:I was planning a Top Mount Intercooler project. I managed to get as far as making the hood.

I used to hang with a bunch of guys that played with the mid 80s Dodge compact cars with the Shelby packages .. Chargers, Omni's etc. They used top mount intercoolers. You could get hood scoops at the Dodge dealer. They sold hop up parts for the 2.2 turbo cars.

One guy had an 86 Shelby Charger that was running about 30 psi and ran 9 second quarter miles with it. The valvetrain was weak in them. After he blew it up for the final time and parted it out, I ended up with the scoop. I glassed it to a Saab 900 hood thinking I was gonna do the same thing (TMIC).

They ran Intercoolers that were huge. I recall the one that was on his Charger being about 3-4 inches thick by as wide and as long as the scoop on my hood. They would lay bags of Ice on the intercooler between passes at the strip. I did see one setup with slimline electric fans they would switch on when the underhood temps would get too high. The Cowl Induction hoods were probably one of the most functional scoops ever designed as they took advantage of the low pressure area at the base of the windshield. They would put aluminum heat shields under the intercoolers with a big pad of insulation under it to isolate it from the heat rising off the engine. As long as the car is moving forward the air would flow into the scoop, and thru the IC.

I would like to complete this TMIC project but kinda pushed it to the back burner.

your supposed to paint it in primer and drive it around for 6 months.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Painted it to match the early paint scheme on my 86 900. Drove it around for almost a year before changing it back.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Finished the install last night. Fired it up to check for coolant, oil and exhaust leaks. It all looked go. Turbo housing was smoking as it burned off oil and what not. Time for a test drive. Total Ghetto style without hood, grill or bumper. Get into the boost and it feels really good, but what is that Spackle on the windshield? Oil or water? Pull off and get out the flashlight. F'in oil blowing out the dip stick. A lot of it. Limp it home and in the driveway pull the dip stick with the engine running it looks like a choo-choo train.
Feeling a little disappointed, I park in the garage and call it quits for the night.
This morning compression test. Cylinders 1-4, 130, 115, 50, 120 psig respectively. :-( Looks like a bad compression ring on cyl 3?

Next project thread? "Engine rebuild" sux...

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 am

Ouch.
I had two compression rings move around and line up on my previous motor with similar results. It sucks to have to pull the motor and head just to get the pistons out... :bawl:
Let's hope it's just a bad ring!

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm

99Super wrote:Ouch.
I had two compression rings move around and line up on my previous motor with similar results. It sucks to have to pull the motor and head just to get the pistons out... :bawl:
Let's hope it's just a bad ring!

Life in the fast lane... I'll see what the Saab Mod Gods have in store for me when I get it all torn down. I think it was the not a well known brand of rings when I rebuilt it some 7 years ago. :dunno: .
Any recommendations on rings? Hastings, Total Seal?

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:44 pm

DEVES.
The only brand I use, FWIW. I get them from Rick and Andy at IPS but you can order direct now.

http://www.deves.com/

john

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”