Garrett GT3071R install on a 900c

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Garrett GT3071R install on a 900c

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:17 am

Great progress this weekend, thanks to my wife for tending to our low maintenance 7 month old baby. Very close to firing it up and testing.
Got the oil return block fitting done.
Mocked up on a spare block.

Welded and then powder coated.

Installed
Firesleeve with silicone wrap to close the ends

I/C plumbing reroute due to the larger compressor and exit angle.
Hood clearance
Almost complete;
Attachments
IMG_2278 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2273 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2267 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 am

Good to see you made some progress. Just one thing. The elbow right on top of the turbine housing with the three welds-you didn't have a 90 degree bend left? You already made a good choice by using as many segments as possible but the drag coefficient with only two welds will be higher. My energy technology book from my university, which you had for a while, says that the drag coefficient "sigma" in 90 degree bends with 3 welds (4 segments) is 0.25 and it will be more the less segments you use. This influences the pressure drop due to the following relation:

Flow_in_bends.jpg
Flow_in_bends.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 4425 times

Maybe I'm just thinking too much here but in the last picture the angle of your bend looks quite steep.

Stephan

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:02 am

Not over thinking at all. Yes, that first bend kinda kills me. The problem is that it has to be a very tight bend radius in order to create enough hood clearance. I may play around with it and replace the center piece with an actual bend and not a straight section. I'll see how it spools. If it is laggy I'll replace it for sure.
Love the equations. :thumbsup: Brings back memories for school.
Attachments
P1040035 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2282 (Custom).JPG
P1040144 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:07 am

why not replace it with an elbow...you can buy nice prebent tubing from a variety of sources.
I am the 73%

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Crazyswede wrote:why not replace it with an elbow...you can buy nice prebent tubing from a variety of sources.

That is what I prefer, but did not have any tight radius mandrel bent Al tubing on hand.

Thanks

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Stephan, you're totally right, BUT, in this setting it may not make enough if a difference to be what really kills the power.

I have a really shitty step transition coming out of the turbine outlet into the 3" downpipe on my '85, and it has no problem putting 280 lb-ft to the wheels, and spools pretty fast. Will replace it with a nice reducing taper eventually, but for now it works.

Next one I do I will probably try to find a rubber/silicone elbow to use rather than fabricating a tight radius bend, like these from Samco.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 am

DrewP wrote:Stephan, you're totally right, BUT, in this setting it may not make enough if a difference to be what really kills the power.

I have a really shitty step transition coming out of the turbine outlet into the 3" downpipe on my '85, and it has no problem putting 280 lb-ft to the wheels, and spools pretty fast. Will replace it with a nice reducing taper eventually, but for now it works.

Next one I do I will probably try to find a rubber/silicone elbow to use rather than fabricating a tight radius bend, like these from Samco.

You're right Drew. I thought about it for a bit today and came to the same conclusion. As far as I know Dennis though he is going to replace it sooner or later with a nice bend. I mean just look at his battery holder :lol: .

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:21 am

turbo stephan wrote:
DrewP wrote:Stephan, you're totally right, BUT, in this setting it may not make enough if a difference to be what really kills the power.

You're right Drew. I thought about it for a bit today and came to the same conclusion. As far as I know Dennis though he is going to replace it sooner or later with a nice bend. I mean just look at his battery holder :lol: .

You know me too well. :dunno:
I could not live with that exit. I did cheat and did a single miter cut.

Maybe even nicer hood clearance

Shorter run and is not centered over the turbine, but kicked forward.
Attachments
P1040194 (Custom).JPG
P1040190 (Custom).JPG
P1040189 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:09 pm

:lol: You see, I knew it. Looks much better now.

So next time I come down we can take it for a spin? :luke:

Ha, I just realized that the code for the rally driving smiley is Luke...

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 am

3rd time's the charm. Kevin suggested I rotate the compressor forward to gain more clearance. Turned out that was the way to go. The compressor lock bolt heads protrude out enough to hit the exhaust manifold strut to the turbo flange. Had to remove the bolt to allow it to rotate. After I got it in place, I refit the pipes and everything welded up.

Well I hope to have it all buttoned up so we can go for a test drive.
Attachments
P1040200 (Custom).JPG
P1040198 (Custom).JPG
P1040196 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 am

that setup is just plain sexy :yay:
I am the 73%

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am

I was going to suggest forward rotation of the compressor too. I guess I hang around too much with you guys :lol: . I agree with Crazyswede, it looks sexy now.

Stephan

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:12 pm

next someone needs to run the intercooler over the top of the engine like on the Subaru's....therebye minimizing length of piping and bends.
I am the 73%

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:00 pm

turbo stephan wrote:I was going to suggest forward rotation of the compressor too. I guess I hang around too much with you guys :lol: . I agree with Crazyswede, it looks sexy now.

Stephan

Thanks folks. The bend above the battery is the money shot. Makes a great rotating sweep. Coolest thing is I did not have to make any second cuts. I fitted what I had.

I would think you would have a heat soak problem with a top mounted I/C. Subbie racer switch to FMIC. Bling or power? I do like the idea of feeding and exiting a FMIC from the top. Jennifer and SaabMatt have built something on this type of routing.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:18 pm

squaab99t wrote:
turbo stephan wrote:I was going to suggest forward rotation of the compressor too. I guess I hang around too much with you guys :lol: . I agree with Crazyswede, it looks sexy now.

Stephan

Thanks folks. The bend above the battery is the money shot. Makes a great rotating sweep. Coolest thing is I did not have to make any second cuts. I fitted what I had.

I would think you would have a heat soak problem with a top mounted I/C. Subbie racer switch to FMIC. Bling or power? I do like the idea of feeding and exiting a FMIC from the top. Jennifer and SaabMatt have built something on this type of routing.

Heat soaking over the top could be an issue. The benefit would be minimal length of intercooler tubing and minimal bends. If you got creative with an incoming air hood scoop and a second opening in the hood for outgoing hot air then heat soaking might not be so problematic
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”