'77 99 GL 5DR

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
sjones

'77 99 GL 5DR

Postby sjones » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 am

I know this is mostly a rally forum, but I'd like to make some posts regarding the car I'm trying to save. I'm hoping that by posting here I'll be motivated (and encouraged) to get the project done. If all goes well, we'll have a comfortable family car that will be a blast to drive. Then the NG900 has to find a new home. ;-)

In April 4: (as found, don't let that Earl Scheib finish fool ya!)

In June 9: (pressure washed, removed trim, pulled out the left rear quarter, got the door open, started on the door)

Yesterday: (got door looking/working good, quarter panel a little better, leaving it and front fender for body shop).

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: '77 99 GL 5DR

Postby 99Super » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:25 am

My 78 GLE is the same color!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 am

It doesn't even look like they scuffed the paint before the respray :lol:

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Jordan wrote:It doesn't even look like they scuffed the paint before the respray :lol:

Thats the $300 Earl Scheib special for you. I took it to a car wash to spray off the years of moss and dirty and the paint started coming off in sheets. Actually, its probably a good thing they didn't molest the original paint, because if they did I'd have a bigger rust problem than a I have now.

BTW, does anyone know anything about the wrap around rear spoiler?

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Those 5 door 99's are so cool, I would love to have one someday. Certainly way cooler than a ng900 :thumbsup:

I see there are some good sized dents and dings, are you going to do the bodywork yourself or pay someone to get it right? Selling off a ng900 will probably get you most of the way towards a new paint job if you do a lot of the prepwork yourself. As for the spoiler, I have a few accessories catalogues from the early 80's that have them for 900's, can't say as I've seen them on many 99's but obviously there shouldn't be too much of a difference.

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks for the info on the spoiler - I think I'll keep that as is. There is also a big hole in the right front fender where an
after market antenna was fitted. During tear out of the interior I found the antenna cable that runs to the right rear quarter, but no hole for it.

A friend of mine ran a body shop for about 35 years and has been helping me. In the side view of the two pictures you can see how he was able to recover the left rear door and pull out the quarter panel a bit more. It still needs a little more work, but we'll get it fixed. The left front fender will drilled out and replaced, however. Its just too crumpled to do anything with. I have the fender, so now its just a matter getting it in.

We're taking the car down pretty far before it goes to a plastic media blaster to blow the rust off and make sure
there are no big surprises.

The previous own had done quite a bit of engine and transmission work before colliding with an SUV in 2006.

Even in its condition, I enjoy driving it and you can feel its potential.

I thought that antenna looked kind of neat until I saw one on a camping trailer going down the highway!

I probably ought to just fill it. Honestly I prefer to listen to the car than the radio.
Last edited by sjones on Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm

I have one of those 3-piece spoilers I've been holding for a future 16v 99 3-door project. I've only ever seen them on 99's, but never in an accessory catalog. :dunno:

I just got a hold of a solid, but badly dented, 87 900T. I'm going to park it next to the Hunchback (the 5-door) and just transfer the entire drivetrain over. Probably run it w/ Incas, clean it up a bit, maybe a EMS/Turbo air dam and then sell it. I need to thin my 99 herd...

Good luck w/ the project!

john

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Spoiler
And check out this guy from the cover, what an 80's boss :lol:

I should scan in the accessories catalogues I have and upload them here or somewhere, there is some priceless 80's cool in those things.

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:09 pm

That guy looks WAY too casual .. and is that his reflection with wayfarers on in the left hand corner?? :thumbsup:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 pm

The 5 door cars were really cool! I sure hope you follow thru and make this thing nice again.

I think that white from the 99 press car above sounds like it would be great on this car, and most certainly paint the Inca's to match.

I'll be following your progress, can't wait to see more.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:04 am

sjones wrote:That guy looks WAY too casual .. and is that his reflection with wayfarers on in the left hand corner?? :thumbsup:

Wow that's creepy, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I'll check if that's on the original or just a weird effect of the camera phone. Might have to call those goofballs with the ghost hunting show :skeptical:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am

I need a set of the rear mud flaps pictured in those ads. Anyone got a clean set they would be willing to part with?

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

SwedeSport wrote:I need a set of the rear mud flaps pictured in those ads. Anyone got a clean set they would be willing to part with?

I've got a passenger side one you can have, if that helps at all, the drivers side fell off before I owned the car apparently.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 am

Cool, thanks. I'll have to keep looking for the match, but that's a start.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:48 pm

This thread has made me regret - for the first time - passing up a mostly rust-free '80 900 Turbo 5dr a few years ago (with bad paint, worn interior, and questionable mechanical bits). (Passed up for a rusty '80 99)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”