'77 99 GL 5DR

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
sjones

Re: '77 99 GL 5DR

Postby sjones » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Has anyone seen a good leather kit for the seats? Doing a search for leather seats for a SAAB digs up so much crap, mostly the shittiest seat covers you'd never want to ever have in your car.

I've removed the passenger seat and its two layers of seat covers .. the original cover was there .. duct-taped together. I'll upload a photo later .........

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:30 pm

There was a leather kit a number of years ago coming out of Asia that was pretty nice. I think Tom Remedios had one in his 900 5dr? I forget who was selling them.

At least a few people who sometimes visit this forum know how to contact Tom.

Or maybe swap leather seats from a 900 into it. It might take a little modification but shouldn't be too bad.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:39 pm

At first I thought my problem was Cookie Monster seat covers ..

but under those were country canvas bag seat covers ..
and under that was a couple of 1" foam pads .
and under that .. well............

:-O i can haz moar duct tape plz?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am

Sweet, the rare accessory silver seat covers!

You should be able to find a decent set of seats out of a 900. Or if you want to get crazy, out of a 9000 Aero. The mounts are probably different on the driver's side vs. 900 mounts. The rears probably too but they'd look nice.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Have you asked Dan Morley if he's got anything you could use? Scanwest has a lot of seats, as does -- I think -- Troll Motors. Finally, do you know Gregg Cronn, up in Bellingham? IIRC, he knows of a nutjob out around Spokane (I like to pronounce it SPOH-kuh-nee) with a bunch of these cars, just sitting there, getting older. I have heard there's a similar stash down in PDX somewhere; might be able to locate it via some PNWSOC members who live south of Seattle.

BTW, my first car was a 78 GL, pretty similar, except, when I did the body work for an Earl Scheib re-spray, I ended up with a car that looked good from 15 feet. Ah, the ignorance of youth: my bodywork skills were, well, I didn't have any.

sjones

Postby sjones » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello Hans .. I knew of NWSOC but didn't join until I got this 99. I've met Dan and he sold me a pair of tail lenses and helped me with some parts for my glove box latch. He also has a pair of side indicators but the bolts are rusted, so I'll need penetrating oil to get them off.

I think I'm just going to go with as close to original as possible on the interior .. solar red and manila brown vinyl. :)

Very nice car in the photo.

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:20 am

I'm in the NWSOC as well and chances are good that you'll find stuff there. The nutjob from Spokane that Hans was talking about, I believe he recently posted two 99 for sale for something like $700. It might be worth to check that out.

There are some events from the NWSOC down in Oregon. There are many Saab freaks out there as well which are in the club. Dan and the group usually stop by a guy who has a junkyard full of Saabs and you might be able to find some stuff there.

Stephan

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 am

I love that 'Question Authority' bumper sticker, need me some of those.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

DrewP wrote:I love that 'Question Authority' bumper sticker, need me some of those.

Well, I was 18 at the time; it seemed like the right sticker for driving around suburban Connecticut, trying to be a badass (and, as a preppy white kid in a Saab, pretty much failing at it). :lol:

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I'd probably have a 'question self' sticker on mine at this point.

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 am

Removed some accessories (wiring), the dash pad, glove box, pillar covers, sail panels today.

When I dropped the three panels under the dash, I found this aftermarket accessory:

I put the car in neutral and pressed it .. the engine turned over!

This broken switch was also flopping around in the panels .. it was connected to the battery and ran to the aftermarket fog lights.

The wiring I pulled out (radio stuff too) ..

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:50 am

That reminds me of my red 99 teardown

Also in the photo, PVC pipe, duct tape, wire nuts, speaker wire (powering the fuel pump, without relays) roofing adhesive and fiberglass insulation.

sjones

Postby sjones » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 am

I've got an EMS binnacle which includes the tachometer/clock combo which many folks have told me I can just swap in with the big clock. The sandblaster the instrument cluster out and fabrics just to keep dust out of them anyway. But
this gives me access to the shrunken dash pad, which needs to be replaced. Ripping out the extra wires and such was
the plan, I just didn't expect the hot-wire mod. I see you got the same switch too .. Isn't that a RALLY accessory? ;-)

A friend of mine told me once "buying a used car is like buying an adventure".

I found a GI Joe in the rear door panel and spare change in various places. The spare change works if the upholstery shop nickles and dimes me.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:46 am

For me it's usually, "Buying a cheap car doesn't stay cheap."

My 99 actually cost me $142.10 (down from $150) from all the change I found inside, that's beer money!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

sjones

Postby sjones » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Did the WagonBack vent louvers only show up on the US market 1976 CombiCoupé? I came across these and thought they'd be great on the car. The vent louver on the left side of the car was damaged by the collision and subsequent moss growth anyway. I wonder how rare these might be.

BTW, anyone have a source on those tiny clips too?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”