The cheap running C-900 turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

The cheap running C-900 turbo

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 am

Paul H & I Picked this up last week, and I just remembered I forgot to post about it here.

Nabbed this off the local CL for $600, bargained down. The dude was under the impression that it needed a headgasket due to a brief overheat. Well, he thought wrong and there isn't anything really wrong with it, cept for the fact that it's an auto. The auto does still work strangely enough and was rebuilt at some point in the cars life because it's painted black.

Check out the pics-

Paint is pretty nice, overall very nice well kept car. The C-900 T with the AT is a bit of a downer, mainly due to the AT's torque converter stall speed. Why why why it the stall speed at 1800? When you floor it from a stop it has no boost for the first 2 seconds, and then picks up fairly rapidly, but it makes pulling out onto a busy road kind of scary. I think the 0-60 time of the C-900 is increased by about 3 seconds due to the auto trans.
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Re: The cheap running C-900 turbo

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 am

Nice, I saw that over in New Tripoli and was tempted to go take a look but then realized I dont really need any more cars to drive at the moment. Glad someone picked it up before it got scrapped out.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

A number of years ago I found an '85 4dr 900T in Arctic Silver with a brand new "factory rebuilt" (came from the dealer) 5spd. The guy sold it to Mongo for $500 (I think) because he was told it needed a head gasket. He pointed out the leaking valve cover seal to me. teehehe.

I've had decent luck with those automatics (100K miles on a rebuild) using Amsoil synthetic racing ATF and changing it with every oil change.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Yep that was a good car. It did eventually need a head gasket but after I drove it for 3 years and 50,000 miles. I miss that car.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Crazyswede wrote:I miss that car.

:eyebrows:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby turbo stephan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

First of all, great pick. I've been looking for 900 hb for quite a while now but have unfortunately been out of luck, which is why my 900 cv remains my dd. However, stories like this seem to happen every once in a while and you just need that luck to be there at the right time. For example, I know a guy who bought a 900 for a bargain because the owner said it wouldn't start anymore. It turned out that a cable to the alternator was broken and fell off over time.

I certainly missed to be at the right place and time when an absolutely mint 9-3 Viggen came back as a trade in and was sold for $4500 at a local dealership recently. :crazy:

Stephan

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Yep Luke, it was the one in New Tripoli. Nice enough car for the price, WAY too nice to scrap. Even though it has 230K on it it feels strong enough and I think it has a lot of life left in it. If the AT fails, I think an MT conversion will be well worth the time on this one.
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:I miss that car.

:eyebrows:

good times good times. I still know where that worker lives though :thumbsup:
I am the 73%