1987 900S Track Car

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 1987 900S Track Car

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 pm

You can probably fit a 225 on those, so longas you have fender lip clearance.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm

88+ suspension/hub/brake project complete. She is finally off the jackstands and went for a drive today. Leaking some fluid from the driver's front, but it should be just tightening up where the hard line meets the braided line.

Now on to the next step....T5 :huh:

Anyone have a 2 wire AIC 0 280 140 516 they would be willing to trade for a 3 wire AIC 0 280 140 502?
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

87 n/a wrote:88+ suspension/hub/brake project complete. She is finally off the jackstands and went for a drive today. Leaking some fluid from the driver's front, but it should be just tightening up where the hard line meets the braided line.

Now on to the next step....T5 :huh:

Anyone have a 2 wire AIC 0 280 140 516 they would be willing to trade for a 3 wire AIC 0 280 140 502?

That car needs some Shelbys STAT!
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Shelbys won't fit any more :(

Did you forget to put the rear springs back in or are you hauling a bunch of bodies?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 pm

I don't think the suspension has settled up front yet, but will look into it. Springs were cut so they may not be located properly.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Might want to cut a little more out of those fronts. Might want to add a spacer in the rear.

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

Next step in the build.....T5 :yay:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:36 pm

T5 project sidelined by getting the GF a 1994 900 Convertible. Mini-rehab in progress on that one.

But a couple days of prepping for a track day less than a month out. Oil change with new oil pressure sensor and oil housing gasket.
Car leaks a little water into it when it rains which results in a lot of mold growth inside the car. Took a long time to clean it up, Ospho treat some surface rust and shoot a little paint on the floor's bare metal.

I think I am shooting to have parts from every year Saab in this franken-project.
Known parts as of right now:
83 Manual Windows
85 Front Airdam
86 Passenger Door
87 Car
88 Rear Axle/Rear Rotors/Rear Calipers
91 Drivers Door & Door Hinges
92 9000 Front Rotors/Front Calipers

Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Adrian Thompson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 am

87 n/a wrote:T5 project sidelined by getting the GF a 1994 900 Convertible. Mini-rehab in progress on that one.

But a couple days of prepping for a track day less than a month out. Oil change with new oil pressure sensor and oil housing gasket.
Car leaks a little water into it when it rains which results in a lot of mold growth inside the car. Took a long time to clean it up, Ospho treat some surface rust and shoot a little paint on the floor's bare metal.

I think I am shooting to have parts from every year Saab in this franken-project.
Known parts as of right now:
83 Manual Windows
85 Front Airdam
86 Passenger Door
87 Car
88 Rear Axle/Rear Rotors/Rear Calipers
91 Drivers Door & Door Hinges
92 9000 Front Rotors/Front Calipers

Looking awesome. Can't wait for you to finish welding tabs on so I can get your old belts for my car.

I take it your not going to register this for the road at all?
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:10 am

Adrian Thompson wrote:I take it your not going to register this for the road at all?

This car is registered, insured and fully street legal. Florida doesn't have any vehicle inspection or emissions requirements. :dunno: Instead of a catalytic converter, there is a glasspack and no muffler. I draw a lot of attention when I drive her on the roads.
Just yesterday, I drove her to the gas station and was stopped by a guy who wanted to talk Saabs. Turned out he was a Saab salesman in Germany many decades earlier and his son used to be a Saab ice-racer. :thumbsup:

Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Adrian Thompson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 am

87 n/a wrote:
Adrian Thompson wrote:I take it your not going to register this for the road at all?

This car is registered, insured and fully street legal. Florida doesn't have any vehicle inspection or emissions requirements. :dunno: Instead of a catalytic converter, there is a glasspack and no muffler. I draw a lot of attention when I drive her on the roads.
Just yesterday, I drove her to the gas station and was stopped by a guy who wanted to talk Saabs. Turned out he was a Saab salesman in Germany many decades earlier and his son used to be a Saab ice-racer. :thumbsup:

Michigan is the same, if it can roll under it's own power at least some of the time you can drive it on the street. It's more the total lack of anything inside it that made me question in. I used to drive my IT car on the road many years ago, but that was when I was...well put it this way, in my mid 40's a stripped out bare car doesn't attract me anymore for the street.

How far do you intend to drive to events? I can imagine 30 mins, but not 2, 3, 4+ hours
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 am

It is 3 hours + to Sebring for me and both times have been an adventure. The first time was a torrential downpour in downtown Orlando that caused all the windows to fog up. I had a sock on my hand as a windshield defroster :lol: Last years trip found me distracted by a wolf spider the size of my fist as a co-pilot for the entire ride. I thought it was gone after watching it for the first hour of the drive, but when I finally stopped at the grocery store in Sebring it was perched on the interior driver's door handle as if to say "I'm gonna get you sucka".

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Well... that plan is fine, until you get stuck 3 hours away from home with a broken or crashed car.

I was a few hours away from home with a broken car once. The event ended, and Im sitting in the middle of a turfed up field, all by myself trying to get my car to run. Fortunately I got it going and made it home, but I decided that I should tow to events that are more than an hour away.

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

I wish I had the luxury of a tow-rig. I occasionally toy with the idea of getting a tow-bar or a tow-dolly and pulling her behind my 9000 but every time I think I am getting a little ahead financially, something goes wrong and sets me even further behind.
At track events, it has often been said that I am having more fun per $ spent than anyone else out there. Typically, everyone else out there has more money invested in their wheels/tires than I do in my entire car.
I did however splurge on some magnetic door numbers recently so I will no longer have to write car numbers in blue painters tape :lol:
Maybe I will get some magazine attention from SCCA or Grassroots Motorsports now. o_O

87 n/a

2013 Daytona Track Day

Postby 87 n/a » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:45 pm

First and foremost the car returned home under its own power. What a fun day at the track.

I was faster than this whole pack, except the Subby:

This car was FAST!

This one too:

But somehow I managed to pass a 545hp Nissan GTR :huh: I will chalk it up to the "Danica Patrick Effect"

Pulling back into the paddocks after a long day.

Got the car on a scale for the first time today and she weighed 2,257lbs with 3/4 tank of gas. The 9000 front brakes were amazing. I may have to consider separate brake and clutch reservoirs in the near future though.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”