1987 900S Track Car

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: 1987 900S Track Car

Postby RadioFlyer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:07 am

[quote="Last years trip found me distracted by a wolf spider the size of my fist as a co-pilot for the entire ride. I thought it was gone after watching it for the first hour of the drive, but when I finally stopped at the grocery store in Sebring it was perched on the interior driver's door handle as if to say "I'm gonna get you sucka".[/quote]

Haha :lol: That happened to me four years ago in my '90 airflow. Coming home to Vermont from Nantucket, dropped off my wife (girlfriend at the time) in Manchester and headed for home. A wolf spider was climbing all over the inside of the car (luckily it didn't show itself until the gf was gone). It climbed across my windshield and I reached for it, missed, and it disappeared. Next it climbed across my lap, I missed it and it disappeared again. Then at about 1am on I-89N near Grantham, it dropped down right in front of my face! I grabbed it, hit the auto-down window switch, threw it out, and looked up to see that I was airborne flying off the edge of the interstate into the median!!! :-O :-O I landed on the slope and bottomed out, plowed grass until I started up toward the south-bound lane, all four wheels skidding the whole way. I managed to turn her back downhill and cleared a huge pit before coming to a stop. I turned off the car and sat for a minute before deciding that i didn't want to pay for a tow, so I started her back up and she drove right out into the breakdown lane. I checked it all out and there was nothing broken, no leaks, no flats, not a scratch other than the dented license plate! I drove her the rest of the way home and topped off fluids, and when I checked in the morning, there were no puddles. I took her to my indy to check out and they found nothing at all wrong with her! I ended up replacing a motor mount and tailpipe, but I think they were already dead before the spider incident. The airflow bumpers were off the car that day for repainting, so they were not damaged.

Nice track pics, by the way! The three-spokes look great!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

Gotta watch those Wolf Spiders. They have a nasty bite and could cause a necrotic wound similar to a Recluse.

I had one as a pet, it was as big as the palm of my hand. It would eat a dozen feeder crickets in a day.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

RadioFlyer wrote: Then at about 1am on I-89N near Grantham, it dropped down right in front of my face! I grabbed it, hit the auto-down window switch, threw it out, and looked up to see that I was airborne flying off the edge of the interstate into the median!!! :-O :-O I landed on the slope and bottomed out, plowed grass until I started up toward the south-bound lane, all four wheels skidding the whole way. I managed to turn her back downhill and cleared a huge pit before coming to a stop.

My wife goes to work that way every day, well.. not through the median. :P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

RadioFlyer wrote:Nice track pics, by the way! The three-spokes look great!

I think I bought the 3 spokes back in 1996. They offered superior brake cooling out on the track. I really can't emphasize how amazing the 88+ brakes with 9000 fronts make a huge difference.

I returned to Daytona Sunday to volunteer in Tech inspection. Some highly entertaining folks there.
A friend with a 911 Turbo offered me a ride during one of the sessions if I agreed to wear the Pedobear helmet in the paddock. It felt like we were doing completely different things on the track. My momentum car versus his sheer power car were night and day. The 520hp beast caused my entire body to emit a fine sweat. When we pulled back into the paddock I couldn't stop yawning as my brain was starved for oxygen. What a thrill!!!!

Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm

87 n/a wrote: I really can't emphasize how amazing the 88+ brakes with 9000 fronts make a huge difference.

The reduction in curb weight probably helps too.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 pm

... Is that a wolf spider on your head?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:18 am

RadioFlyer wrote:... Is that a wolf spider on your head?

Or are you just happy to see me?
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:01 am

You better watch out, it looks like that guy behind you put A LOT of hours into Gran Turismo

Is that helmet FIA approved?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 am

Jordan wrote:You better watch out, it looks like that guy behind you put A LOT of hours into Gran Turismo

I didn't know Max was competing :lol:
I am the 73%

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Toothless the cat approves this message...

Thanks Luke :thumbsup:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Still needs to be cleaned up a bit around the welds, but she is in and feels amazing.
:woohoo: :thanks:

Might be a case of lipstick on a pig though :rolleyes:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 pm

87 n/a wrote:Still needs to be cleaned up a bit around the welds, but she is in and feels amazing.
:woohoo: :thanks:

Might be a case of lipstick on a pig though :rolleyes:

Awesome! Do you have pretty solid engine mounts?

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon May 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Luke wrote:Awesome! Do you have pretty solid engine mounts?

Running a barrel style mount on the passenger side that is plated both-sides turning it into a solid mount :lol:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 pm

I have made very little progress on this car. A '94 900 convertible and a 67 96v4 have occupied my time lately :rolleyes:

But the most exciting news is that I can announce eEuroparts as a sponsor!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Had my first outing to an open track day at a place called The FIRM. Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park.
430 acres of private tracks.
http://gorally.com/

2 eEuroparts.com sponsored 900 non-turbos went out to melt some rubber and burn some fuel.

My first use of a borrowed GoPro was failure. Poor camera angle. But here is some entertainment for y'all.

http://youtu.be/BTX7UOMVREs

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”