Saab 99 EMS '77

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
turbo stephan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Saab 99 EMS '77

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 am

Hi all,

I thought it's about time to introduce my project that I acquired in I believe August it was. It's a 1977 99 EMS notchback in silver. There is a little bit of a story of how I got to the car, so here it goes.

I believe the first time I really got fixed onto the 99s was quite a while back in Germany when my friend and I started the green 99 turbo notchback that was stored under a shed in the backyard of his parents house. From that day on I've always thought that the car that looked so ridiculous to most of the people was probably the coolest car I could imagine. Certainly a spin in Dennis' immaculate 99 turbo last year made it even worse and hanging around on this forum does definitely support the want to own a 99. That being said I started looking around for 99s which is not the easiest thing to do. I saw a few coming up here and there, but there was nothing that really caught my eye.

While browsing through my e-mails one morning I saw an e-mail from the president of our NWSOC club. He forwarded a message from a woman that had a Saab 99 sitting in her garage which wasn't used anymore. The car belonged to her husband, who unfortunately passed away, and since she was moving to another place there was simply no need for the Saab. She wrote that she would give the car away for free but only if it goes to someone that really appreciates it and can make good use of it. I didn't think too long and e-mailed her right away because after all a free Saab from the Westcoast is like blood to a group of sharks. After a few conversations the deal was sealed and the car was ready to be picked up. I really owe Dennis (squaab) and Craig (mezzanine) a big thank you at this point because those two picked the car up for me and stored it at Dennis' place. Thanks guys, you rock :thumbsup: .

Dennis send me a bunch of pictures after he picked up the 99. The car looks pretty solid and has only minor surface rust in some little spots and a minor fender bender. The interior looks very good (except for the headliner of course) and according to Dennis the carpet in the trunk looks almost better than new. With the car came a trunk full of parts, a 99 turbo gauge, a nice EMS steering wheel and of course soccerballs.
My plans for the future are to convert the car to a nice little street racer that could be used for occasional autocross or even hill climb events. However, I would like to be able to also use it for a commute to work if there would ever be the need for it. I think the main things on the list of modifications would be a B202 turbo, maybe a GT28RS, a water-air intercooler, a new suspension set-up, a wildwood or equivalent brake set-up and other seats. In terms of engine management I'd like to see a T5 in there but because of some issues that two mutual friends of me and Dennis had I'm more leaning towards Motec or PiResearch (Cosworth) units. Some of those units are quite pricey but at least there is tech support and parts for their units are readily available.

For now the car will sit at Dennis place so you guys shouldn't be surprised if you don't see any updates on this project. Last but not least I'll put up some pictures so you can all have a look at the 99.

The new temporary home
IMG_2347 (Custom).jpg

P1050337 (Custom).JPG
Attachments
P1050338 (Custom).JPG
Last edited by turbo stephan on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

turbo stephan

Re: Saab 99 EMS

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:47 am

More pictures...

P1050340 (Custom).JPG

P1050347 (Custom).JPG

P1050352 (Custom).JPG

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:50 am

Pics...

P1050355 (Custom).JPG

P1050362 (Custom).JPG

P1050369 (Custom).JPG

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 am

Pics...

P1050375 (Custom).JPG

P1050375 (Custom).JPG

P1050345 (Custom).JPG

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:01 am

And more pics...

P1050380 (Custom).JPG

P1050381 (Custom).JPG

P1050391 (Custom).JPG

Luke
Site Admin

Re: Saab 99 EMS '77

Postby Luke » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 am

Wow, I am so jealous!

That car looks so clean rust wise. I really love the 74-77 EMS's in silver. Looks like it came with a MSS header too. The grill and headlights are from a '74 it looks like.
The hood with the remnants of an old stripe kit is cool too, I am trying to figure out what blue that is though?
I'd say try to keep it period looking on the outside!

turbo stephan

Postby turbo stephan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:47 am

Luke wrote:Wow, I am so jealous!

That car looks so clean rust wise. I really love the 74-77 EMS's in silver. Looks like it came with a MSS header too. The grill and headlights are from a '74 it looks like.
The hood with the remnants of an old stripe kit is cool too, I am trying to figure out what blue that is though?
I'd say try to keep it period looking on the outside!

Thanks,

I really like the looks of the notchback and I want to keep the silver color. Dennis grabbed that blue hood as it was in better condition. Since the car likely needs a paint job the color of the hood didn't really matter. I'd like to keep it period correct on the outside as well, but maybe change to some shelby's or something else though.

Stephan

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Mezzanine » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 am

The blue hood came from the backyard at the previous owner's house, and it is pretty badly oxidized... I have seen the color on 99s before. Note the pics of the trunk stuffed full of spares- the garage was sacttered with goodies, and we packed in as many as we could. :yay:

The damage to the fenders is really pretty minimal- at first I was bummed that they were ruined, but upon closer inspection I think they can be straightened out. Great starting point for a project though.
Keep us posted Stephan! :thumbsup:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Awesome! I second Luke's statement about EMSes in that color. I haven't seen many '77 EMSes (But a bunch of '76es and a few '78s).

I like how the radiator fan was replaced with an oil cooler....
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Yeah I was wondering about that fan replacement too .. :) I wonder how it does at long stop lights on a hot day. An oil radiator is probably a good idea for any 99 fan or not. :)

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

good looking truck...
The gal was so happy it was going to go to someone who would rebuild it.
It was not totally free. You owe Craig and I lunch.
My wife has been telling the neighbors and family that we are foster parents of this one until Stephan can adopt her...

One thing we did forget was the EMS badges off the silver hood. I know Craig and I talked about it :crazy:

It is a great car to start from. Much more stock and unmolested than my '76 EMS. Should be fun and start saving your money for that turbo and real motorsport ECU.

Dennis

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Straightening a few dents sure beats rust repair!

Nice score for a great price!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Mezzanine

Postby Mezzanine » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 am

Geoff wrote:Awesome! I second Luke's statement about EMSes in that color. I haven't seen many '77 EMSes (But a bunch of '76es and a few '78s).

I like how the radiator fan was replaced with an oil cooler....

The previous owner installed 99T pusher fans... I never checked the routing of the oil lines, but I am guessing he used the oil filter mount/ass'y from a 99T as well.

Oops about the EMS badges. Goes to show we are a little out of practice in our car stripping skills.

C

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:58 am

Brings back memories :thumbsup:
Attachments
99ems.jpg
99ems.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 4421 times

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm

You guys are making miss MY 75 EMS, many of the parts of which survive in Dennis' EMS...

john

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”