Joining 2 digit club.

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Joining 2 digit club.

Postby tweek's Turbos » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 pm

We have talked about this in another thread, so I will put up what I can in this one.

Bought the one on the right for $450. I plan on taking it up to Harveys AutoHaus in finksburg MD for some tinkering to get it running. Then working with him and his body guy on the rust.

The car came with some interesting spares. I thought I had a set of 4 turbo intake valves, but they seem to be n.a. #834688 4347. They are 42mm. I know the book says turbo are 42mm but not sure the n.a. diameter. Also a new chrome trimmed RH tailight for whatever, front and rear headrests, old wastegate diaphragm and gaskets, 2 4 speed shift knobs, one still in the package, nos 78 owners manual still in the bag nos bilstiens, and some other random neato things. Pics to come this weekend, or sooner if I get a camera thing.

sjones

Re: Joining 2 digit club.

Postby sjones » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Those seats look to be in great shape. Is that a NOS headlamp surround on the driver's side floor? Welcome.

nutcase
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby nutcase » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

8346884 are inlet valves for B and H engines - they don't change if turbo or not.

Good luck with it, looks like a good project :)

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:21 pm

All the bits and pieces are there! A little rough, but it looks like it will be a good project. Apparently it was hard to get a 99T in black, it was the color people wanted most and dealers sold out pretty fast.

nutcase
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby nutcase » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Luke wrote:Apparently it was hard to get a 99T in black, it was the color people wanted most and dealers sold out pretty fast.

That's all we got in the UK - well, ~1100 black 3 doors, 101 metallic red 5 doors, a few hundred black 2 doors and similar red 2 doors.

Black 3 doors are the best :D

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 am

Interesting car...I see what looks like an intercooler on the hot side of the engine bay...and two mystery cylinders up on the firewall next to the heater box...wtf are those things?

Are the NOS Billi's fr or rear?
Rallyho

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am

Not sure front or rear yet.

Yeah I was happy that is was mostly there, the owner was saying it has an enrichment injector, not sure if it sprays alky or just regular gas. He said it also hase the "V6 fuel system" whatever that meant.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 am

Rears have pins, fronts have eyelets on both sides. He's referring to the 6-pot to the fuel distributer. It has a larger metering plate and can provide more fueling. They are normally from 6-cylinder cars, but has the two ports blocked off.

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:15 pm

We hauled it up to Harvey's Autohaus last night, I got to see my old 79 5 door in the body shop across the way too.

We think this car was definately a Cannonball car. In the trun was more spares, a cap and rotor, plug wires, pill containers full of change and a pair of NOS center caps. (octagonal).

I am still trying to get a phone number of the original owner, but so far no luck.

Plan for now is to remove the head, have it checked out and mended if need. Install new gaskets, remove fuel system and flush and see if I get lucky.

Got some pics of the extraction but have no way to upload them untill I track down a new cable.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:13 pm

The 75 runs / drives! strangely, it's FAST too :yay:
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 am

DeLorean wrote:The 75 runs / drives! strangely, it's FAST too :yay:

Wait so did you pickup the '75 then? Going to be joining us at some rally-x's soon!?

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah, I was waiting for them to post up.

He took home some nice bits I had too.

Main 99 questions:
Did just 99s, have a 2 thin line rear bumper or also old 99s. I am trying to find out if the car in this pic my dad is sitting on was a 99 or a 900.

What should I sacrifice the windshield or the weatherstrip? We need to remove them to eat away some rust. Delo suggested we not cut out the whole thing and graft in a c900 one. (Harvey's Idea). Luckily he isn't the body guy.

Does the rear hatch window in the 99 match the c900? I need to make a 99 hatch, either by fixing what I have, or getting Lukes and making the 99 handle fit, and filling the trunk area buy the lights.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:57 pm

tweek's Turbos wrote:Yeah, I was waiting for them to post up.

Does the rear hatch window in the 99 match the c900? I need to make a 99 hatch, either by fixing what I have, or getting Lukes and making the 99 handle fit, and filling the trunk area buy the lights.

Oh thats a 99 rear for sure... from the color and bumper combination its 78 and ems or turbo.

Why not save the gasket and the windshield? It's not hard to pull at all if you are careful and have a helper. I've done prob a dozen between 99's and 900's and only ever broken one that already had a small crack.

doh, I knew I should have saved that hatch!
Attachments
photo2.JPG

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:18 pm

The 75 is interesting, it was obviously set up for ITB and used extensively for racing. It has numerous bumps and bruises which were repaired, some look like they were pretty solid hits. It has had the roof replaced once, driver side fender & inner fender, a large piece of the front structure, and the rear fender on the passenger side seems to have been hastily "massaged" back into place, just enough so the trunk would close. Interestingly, it has almost no rust.

The cage would be good as-is for hill climbs and probably the 24 hours of lemons. I don't know how well it would do for ITB these days, or anything else. It is a reasonably solid looking 6 point cage, but there are all sorts of things that are likely not good enough anymore. The seating position is pretty good for me with the race seat & the cage set up, but it's a bit tight for Paul.

Interesting other tid bits? The engine is not stock. Not sure what was done to it, but it revs fast and pulls abnormally hard. The diff is also welded. It's got aftermarket sway bars, front & rear, bilsteins, lowering springs, etc. The car has an odd dual fuel pump set up, and fuel cell (out dated). Also the 5-Point harness is nice, but everything is way out dated. Not sure when the last time it was raced was, but it seems like it was probably parked at the end of a season and just left alone since then. Steering and the suspension is still tight, cutch and brakes work fine, but as usual, the sliding yoke brakes are crap ;) Brakes were not upgraded in any way, though it does appear to have some pretty fresh calipers.
Less brake more gas!

tweek's Turbos

Postby tweek's Turbos » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:44 am

Gah! How long ago did you send it to New Ringold? I will be up Tgiving weekend.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”