Yet another yellow '73

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
EvanB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Yet another yellow '73

Postby EvanB » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:48 am

Crazyswede wrote:What is the seat you have in there? Is it one of those generic ones off of ebay or is it something snazzy?

Looks like an ebay copy of a Recaro to me. Some of them can be good seats for the money though, I have a knockoff Bride seat in my Miata and it is great.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

EvanB wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:What is the seat you have in there? Is it one of those generic ones off of ebay or is it something snazzy?

Looks like an ebay copy of a Recaro to me. Some of them can be good seats for the money though, I have a knockoff Bride seat in my Miata and it is great.

There was a guy with an orange 99 at one of the conventions a few years ago that had some of those cheap street racing seats in the car and they fit well, looked good, and felt comfortable. Long term durability and wear I have no data on...can not compute.
I am the 73%

saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 am

yes they are some fee bay seats i was really worried about the width the car is a little on the narrow side and still need access to the ignition switch they feel good i'm not doing the rally thing just a street/track? driver

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

sorry the $1000 seats were not in the budget..dont get me wrong we all would like to have them so we are not made fun of (i had the generic k-mart shoes when the cool kids had nike)

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am

saabfan9 wrote:sorry the $1000 seats were not in the budget..dont get me wrong we all would like to have them so we are not made fun of (i had the generic k-mart shoes when the cool kids had nike)

Pff...you can so not hang out in the elite 99 club house now....mostly because no one has ever built an elite 99 club house....well maybe Chip Lamb :lol:
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm

....And Jack Lawrence. I heard his has a big slingshot.

My C900 has eBayed 'APC' brand seats, they've held up very well and were like $120/ea 6-7 years ago.

No judging here. The TPS on my SPG is held on and clocked with zip ties. Like 8 zip ties. Been that way for almost 10 years after I broke the heads off both of those little like M3 screws that hold it to the throttle body trying to adjust it. Now it's self adjusting.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:13 pm

I had a $40.00 set of seats I pulled from a junkyard. I was gonna put em in my Chevette. They were nice gray tweed buckets out of a Fiero. They had the speakers in the headrest,... and they worked.

You guys should feel lucky to have the new shoes from Kmart. I had to wear the shoes the kid next door outgrew. Once it a while my mom would wash them and Shoe Goo the holes shut.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

me need um springs....looks like i'm gonna cut em just a little scared...the front in those pics is with the engine installed ..would like something like this http://home.earthlink.net/imagelib/site ... et=tlx_new

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

I was always told that the most you want to drop a Saab was to the point that the lower control arms are parallel to the ground.

But it depends on it's purpose. I plan to drop my 89 sedan stupid low. Almost sitting on the bump stops. Its gonna handle like a pregnant cow on stilts, but I'll get the look I want.

I have SPG springs in the 86 Street/Track car, that I cut a full coil out of.

Rears are easy... cut a 1/4 coil at a time, and put em back in. It doesn't take long to get them in and out of the car. Do the same with the fronts, 1/4 coil at a time. It's just harder to get them in and out. Put the cut pigtail end up and toward the outside of the car. Do the fronts first though and get them to sit where you want it, then do the back last.

I am not sure what year they started using the 900 rear springs, but the real early 99s had the tit that sticks out from the bottom of the body, and locates the upper spring seat. The 900 springs definitely need to be cut more to fit those. Drew and Jordan both ran into that, and Drew's car is a 73 so I assume you will have the same issue. Drew was making really nice billet spring seats, if you ask him nicely, maybe he will make you a set.

You can get spacers to bring the height back up or to fine tune the ride.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 pm

Just cut them. I have cut C900 lowering springs front and rear in mine, and it's STUPIDLY stiff, way too stiff for anything but a smooth race circuit.

Like Jason says, do ~1/4 of a coil at a time and trial and error it until you've got it where you want and it's balanced front-to-rear.

Maybe start with like 3/4 of a coil on the front since they're such a pain to get them in and out with the spring compressor (they have a really really long free length and are pretty soft)

C900 springs will fit right in in the front, they won't fit in the back without some kind of larger diameter upper seat.

You could also take some measurements and order generic ones from Summit or Speedway Motors or some similar place that caters to the stock car / circle track crowd.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 pm

What is the dia. of the early 99 rear spring? The 900 was 3.75 or some odd size. They are smaller than most standard coil springs. The most common sizes seem to be 5 and 5.5. You would have to modify upper and lower seats for those.

You could just cut the ones that came out of it now, and swap them later when you find a better solution.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm

The early ones are even smaller - I don't know if I still have mine to measure.

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 pm

thanks guys for all the help i'm sure there will be more questions....it does matter where the cut end ends up on the spring mounts? will they only sit in one way? i have yet to crawl under there to take a good look nor have i ever taken a spring out of a 99

saabfan9

Postby saabfan9 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Image Image Image

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 pm

The reason I clock them with the pigtail out is because they tend to sit up on the pigtail a bit when you cut them. And it wants to bow a little more because of it. And I prefer them to bow in as opposed to out.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”