ESP SPG

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

ESP SPG

Postby 99Super » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:07 pm

All the recent threads regarding 900s finally pushed my to get back to my SPG.
Looks like the SCCA has moved the SPG (only!) to ESP from DSP. Now I'm up against Mustangs and Eclipses.
The car already has B&G Springs, Koni shocks, 88> brakes.
The engine is solid, but the turbo is tired and will smoke from time to time. The trans has a broke shift-centering spring so it is easy to select 5th by accident.

I plan to build a new engine and install my second Quaife in my old race trans.

As I've said before, there is some body damage and the interior is trashed but the car is rust free and solid.

Yesterday I removed the hitch and the A/C system.

PC299810.JPG

PC299814.JPG

PC299808.JPG

I hope to have it ready for the Auto-X and Hillclimb season next year

john

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: ESP SPG

Postby Hans » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Looks like a good start to a new weekend toy. Seeing it kinda makes me want to dive back into my notchback, which I bought to build a SM car, realized the stupidity of that goal, got a ride in a Miata, then Street Prepared finally allowed changes to boost, then I bailed on autocrossing. :lol:

The SCCA's Street Prepared classing makes approximately zero sense when it comes to c900s: *all* of them, SPG or not, should be in the same class, on the same line (or, at least, separate NAs from Turbos), and not in DSP, either. That the SCCA thinks standard c900s and SPGs should be in a *slower* class than all other c900s (and, further, differentiates SPGs as a standalone model, available as "16V & Turbo") only shows that (a.) no one has brought a car out to play and contacted the SEB about the classing, or (b.) they simply have no idea about the c900.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:39 am

I'd like to see "99 and 900 -All" on one line. I won't be competitive long in SMF but I can do OK in ESP.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 pm

I took my 86 SPG out for a drive this weekend. It started right up after sitting for several months, and many months before that!
The suspension is at good starting point so I'll probably take it to the first AutoX next weekend and race it as-is, even with the nasty old Yokohamas.

I started tearing into a spare gearbox I was planning to use for this project last night. It felt good when I bought it at the yard for a few bucks and an afternoon's work last fall....
When I pulled the rear cover to drain the oil, there were some disappointing clunks into my drain bowl.
I can see teeth broken off on 2nd gear.
I figured I'd go ahead and pull it apart, salvage what I could and use the internals from another tranny I have with a questionable case.
While using a clamp to remove the shift linkage, and not having much luck, the clamp slipped off and fell in the oil!
I figured that was a sign so I decided to let the trans drain overnight and walked away.
I went out to the garage this morning before work and the clamp had cracked the bottom of the bowl and I had 3 quarts of used gear oil all over my floor! :censored:
Now it's all cleaned up and I'm headed back to tearing it down. Hopefully there are still parts salvageable....

john

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Jeez. No kidding about that being a sign!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Very nice, 86 SPG's are the best :woohoo:

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I got a few hours to work on the car last week to get it ready for the Bogus Basin Hillclimb that took place Sat/Sun.
I took out the cruise control, installed a 3.0 bar fpr, installed new Bougicords, got my good slicks mounted on my 15x8 Ronals and mounted my harness bar.
I did OK turning a 2:12.426. I was shooting for a 2:08.-ish, that's the record. I'd have had to put together a hell of a run so I bagged the day Sunday. Better to have a rebuildable tranny than a broke tranny and a record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-p_HakuzU8&feature=plcp

The best part is, I beat the new BRZ by 2 seconds : )

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:48 pm

How do those 15x8s work? I'm thinking about 16x8 or 16x7 on my '90 SPG but I'm worried about rubbing. Do yours have enough clearance?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm

They work perfectly. Just enough clearance all the way around. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the offset is. 28mm I think.

espspgsmall.jpg

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Yesterday I tore the transmission off an old 900 "B" motor I had laying around because it had the 870423 chillcast case I want to use in my SPG. It was still a good trans, but the PO chipped the reverse teeth bad enough that it wouldn't stay in gear. I think I bought the car for $100 just to part out.

The case has a cast date of 12-17-77 and has a steel pinion housing only marked "K2".

I'm going to use the guts from a rebuilt 85 trans I have that has a bad case.

As the donor gears were never used, can I pull the pinion apart and re-use the parts w/ the steel pinion case, or should I just use the alloy unit. Can the crush collar be re-used?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:19 pm

After thinking about this for a while, I think it may be best that I sell the ESPG. I love the SPG’s, especially these blunt-nose models, but I’ve decided to stick w/ 99s.

How much should I ask for this thing? Arguably, it’s the best handling/stopping 900 I’ve ever driven, I just don’t feel like spending the time or $$ on building a new engine/transmission/cage any more.

As it is, I’m spreading myself waaaaayyyyy to thin w/ the cars and need to thin the herd. :bawl:

It’s a *Rust Free* 86 SPG w/ working power windows and sunroof, deleted A/C, 88> 900 suspension w/ 9000T front calipers, ATE PowerDisc front rotors (NIB), B&G springs, Koni Red shocks, Ronal TW 8x15 wheels, good engine and trans., rear leather still decent. Paint badly faded. Some mild body damage in front of RR wheel well. Dash area rough. Extremely rare Borla SS exhaust.

Extras include, 2 double-vent hoods, extra set of doors, stock SPG wheels, 2 900 dashes is good shape (one or two cracks at most), extra windshield, factory hitch, lots of other random 900 bits. Extra E-Codes and other lighting. I may even have an 8K tach.

If I get this, the 99 that’s going Geoff (fingers crossed) and my 78 GLE gone, I’ll be down to the 4 99 Sedans; 2 16VT’s and 2 B motors.

What's it worth?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”