1986 SPG

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

1986 SPG

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I don't think I have posted any info about this car on here so I figured it would be a good time to start a thread since I'm rehabbing it back to the road. This car has 316k miles on it and it served as a dead reliable daily driver for about 3 years during which it never left me stranded to the point I couldn't get home. Here are some of the specs:
- Bilstiens, lowering springs and I think some poly bushings, 87+ hubs and aero wheels
- 2.1 head, te05-16g turbo with 3" downpipe and 2.5" cat back, 9000 intercooler, fuel chip with T5 injectors
- interior from SwedeSport that I redyed but might redo again to a deeper red
- it had a so so repaint in the not too distant past

However it has sat for the past year while I drove a 9-3 but it's time to get back into a 900.

Here is a picture from a few years back:
Interior:
$10 wheel found in a yunkyard:
I took off the whale tail to refinish it and polished the rest of the car:
Super dirty engine bay, I want to rework a lot of it but I'm going to try to do that all when I get T5 in and can take away a lot of stuff:

I want to accomplish a few things in the interior and refinish the body kit but the big project will be adding T5. I hope I can keep this as motivation to keep up with some of you guys and your projects :lol:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: 1986 SPG

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Pretty cool. I like the "grey out" exterior.
I knew a girl from PA a number of years ago that had an '86 SPG and her dad had put a burgundy interior in. I thought the interior made it look :barf:but don't change things because of my opinion :P
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 pm

My defense is that Spyker had just bought Saab and I got swept up in the ostentatious Dutch moment :thumbsup:

I sort of want to dye the outside of the seats like a viggen to tone the brightness down a bit but then again I'm clearly no designer :lol:

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal

Postby KPAero » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:42 pm

I actually really like a nice burgundy interior. I think if you do go ahead and make the seats darker like they normally would be, it would look better, but I still like it now.

My brother had an 89 9000s that was Rose Quartz with the burgundy interior, it was sweet. He sold it to a friend of mine who kind of ruined it though. :frown 2:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like burgundy interiors too (they're kind of a big deal) but from what I've seen I don't like them in Eduardian Grey cars. I think they look good real in black, rosequarts, and prototype pearl cars.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Image They look good with the black cars for sure.
Geoff wrote: I don't like them in Eduardian Grey cars.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Are those the seats out of the brown car I parted out? Were they THAT nice? I know you changed the color, but wow... lol. I bet they would look nice in a silver or white car. I remember your car from when you dropped by to get the seats. It's nice.

Do you have 88+ hubs on it?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Are those the seats out of the brown car I parted out? Were they THAT nice? I know you changed the color, but wow... lol. I bet they would look nice in a silver or white car. I remember your car from when you dropped by to get the seats. It's nice.

Do you have 88+ hubs on it?

Yup same seats, I patched them up a bit before I dyed them. And yeah it does have 88+ hubs with the correct handbrake as well. I need to repaint the aero wheels because the clear coat is all peeled like many of them are.

I agree with you guys about the other colors being really nice too, the press pictures of the black 99T with the burgundy interior and my dads friend's rose quartz 900 with the same interior always made me want this color. I'd love another black 900 to put these in but for the time being I like the combo, I just wish I had gotten slightly darker dye especially the drivers seat which was a different batch of dye and was way too bright.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

What kind of dye did you use?

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Product ... 2=Burgundy

There are also some sprayed on dyes that work very well, I used this on my 85 900:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CBD-119/

SEM also makes an aerosol that seems to be highly regarded.

The aerosol goes down smother than the stuff you brush on in my opinion. It feels odd to essentially spray paint a leather surface but it is actually good stuff. I can't speak on long term durability but I like it because it's not overly shiny so it doesnt look fake.

hutch

Postby hutch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Got a little project done that I had been meaning to do for a while, I probably am going to let them sit for a bit to fully dry while I take some pictures for Pendot for the classic registration. The color is sort of strange, it can change a fair amount depending on light. I wanted something a little lighter but I think once it's out in the daylight and on the car I will like it.
Before:
Primers:
Right after I put the clear on:
Back inside:

The next step is the engine bay, I need to paint another valve cover and get rid of the red vacuum hoses while I clean everything up in prep for the T5 install. I also want to tend to the intercooler pipes as the PO painted them a strange custard color so I want to address that.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:53 pm

Those look great!

john

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm

I refinished a spare valve cover and replaced a few vacuum hoses but ran out with a few feet to go. I'm going to tidy up the rest of the engine bay stuff down the road, I may take the rad support out and touch up some rust spots in the coming weeks. I also want to clean some wiring up when I install T5, which reminds me I need to get around to doing the awful sounding task of removing the crank pulley in car.

Sorry I don't have any wild engine/transmissions rebuilds going on, knock on wood the car still runs pretty well :lol:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 pm

It's all good, I feel that content on the site is still content on the site. Even if it is something off topic like a tow rig, or other interests. The gang on this forum are some crafty MF's and I for one am interested in reading about the stuff you all do.

Is this the SPG you drove down to pick up the interior in? IIRC it was pretty nice already.

hutch

Postby hutch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 pm

SwedeSport wrote:It's all good, I feel that content on the site is still content on the site. Even if it is something off topic like a tow rig, or other interests. The gang on this forum are some crafty MF's and I for one am interested in reading about the stuff you all do.

Ha yeah I just want to keep updating this to keep me motivated to work on it. I enjoy reading all the various projects from all ends of the spectrum on this board.
SwedeSport wrote:Is this the SPG you drove down to pick up the interior in? IIRC it was pretty nice already.

Yeah same one, I'm still impressed you can fit a whole extra interior in a 900 and close the hatch. Mechanically the car runs like a dream, it's just that with over 300k miles the body is a little rough around the edges but it's also nice in that it's not a museum piece I'm worried to drive.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”