My rallyX practice car

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: My rallyX practice car

Postby V4_guy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 pm

I hadn't thought about that, I bet it does stiffen it up. If you see in the left of the photo (right on the car) the bumper mount is pushed back inside the fascia. It's twisted and ripped.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Typically its easier to cut that part from another car and weld it in, than to try and straighten it enough to put the bumper on.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm

V4_guy wrote:....while drilling holes for the hood pin plates the drill slipped and the bit broke and went right into my left thumb, spent two hours in the urgent care center getting that taken care of.

Yeeeeouch....

V4_guy wrote:....there is a local place where I can get the flywheel machined, and a new pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing for just over $100, a friend of mine got them for his '90 900S a few weeks ago: http://www.kyclutch.com/

That's a good find, when you get that done can you see what it would cost for them to re-skin a disc with some more aggressive material? Could be a good source for getting some custom stuff done.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 pm

DrewP wrote:
V4_guy wrote:....there is a local place where I can get the flywheel machined, and a new pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing for just over $100, a friend of mine got them for his '90 900S a few weeks ago: http://www.kyclutch.com/

That's a good find, when you get that done can you see what it would cost for them to re-skin a disc with some more aggressive material? Could be a good source for getting some custom stuff done.

I got back from Kentucky Clutch earlier today, didn't think to ask about a more aggressive clutch but I'm sure it wouldn't cost much based on their prices.

I went over on my lunch break, before I even told them what it was they asked if it was for a Saab. They pulled a clutch disc, pilot bearing, and Sachs clutch right off the shelf. They didn't have my style of pressure plate in stock so they rebuilt mine while I waited and machined the flywheel. They pressed the pilot bearing in for me and even put my spacer tool back in the pressure plate. $120 and 30 minutes later I was on my way. Amazing service!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:39 pm

That's fantastic.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I drove it home tonight, runs and drives great. The semi-solid front motor mount that I did really improves the shifting and should hopefully keep it in gear on the rallyX course. The new Sachs throwout bearing is a bit noisy which kind of surprised me, the new clutch feels great.

All I have left to do is to get underneath and make sure the exhaust is on nice and tight. The tailpipe is currently missing, hopefully that won't bump me up to Prepared. :-P

I'll take some pics in the daylight tomorrow, feels great to be driving this car again!

Oh, and those Autopal H4 headlight inserts work great, every bit as good as the Hella ones I ran years ago.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Saabrallly needs a like button.

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:25 am

And here it is parked on the street right before I drove it to work this morning:

Doesn't look bad considering how banged up it got in the accident. I just need to find some headlight bezels.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 am

I like the Swedish Air Force sticker under the blinker .

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Do you have the spring & bellows between the slave cylinder and throw out bearing? They're supposed to preload the bearing to help improve life and keep them quiet. I've shut up noisy TO bearings with a shot of PB Blaster.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Geoff wrote:Do you have the spring & bellows between the slave cylinder and throw out bearing? They're supposed to preload the bearing to help improve life and keep them quiet. I've shut up noisy TO bearings with a shot of PB Blaster.

It's the old style slave cylinder with the plastic collar on it so no spring and bellows. The TOB seems to have quieted down now. It's weird but it started making noise when I spilled a bit of coolant on it through the inspection hole in the clutch cover when I was bleeding the system, maybe that's just a coincidence.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:24 pm

V4_guy wrote:It's weird but it started making noise when I spilled a bit of coolant on it through the inspection hole in the clutch cover when I was bleeding the system, maybe that's just a coincidence.

Probably not......

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:09 am

I did my first event yesterday at the Friendswood Golf Course in Camby, Indiana. The night before a friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in 8 years came through town and we stayed out way too late and I forgot to set my alarm, didn't leave the house until 7:30 and it was a two-hour drive to the event. I hauled ass at 90-95 mph the whole way there and made it just in time for the driver's meeting and to walk the track. It had rained the night before so things were very, very muddy. I steadily improved my times through my first five runs that I was in second place in the stock FWD class during the morning. We took a break for lunch and everyone had five runs after that. I finished third in stock FWD class for the day, behind a '96 Civic and '12 Fiesta. There was a pretty good selection of vehicles, everything from a Datsun B210 to a Ford F-150 Raptor, I had the only Saab there and became known as "Saab Guy."

The track dried out quite a bit after lunch so it felt completely difference. During the fun runs the Raptor hit a tree and bent its front suspension, the organizers had to file an incident report and that kind of ended things for the day.

So all and all, a great time, even with a hangover. Can't wait for the next one in a month. Note to self: no partying the night before RallyX!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:39 pm

It looks like a flock of mutant geese left you a present on your roof.
You know you're having when your car looks like that at the end of the day!

V4_guy

Postby V4_guy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 pm

And my clutch slave cylinder is leaking badly, that would explain the crunchy shifting...

I had rebuilt it but used a Scantech kit so not all that surprised it failed, had similar results when I rebuilt a clutch MC with one of their kits.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”