89T Daily Beater Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 89T Daily Beater Project

Postby SwedeSport » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:21 am

RadioFlyer wrote:Nice! You know the only reason I have ever gotten rid of spare cats is because the mounting brackets were rusted off. Never really considered repairing them - great idea.

You could always modify them to attach with a slip joint and clamp. Just weld a length of pipe to the ends, and expand them to slip over your stock pipes.

When I cleaned house a few years back, I cut the 4 bolt flanges off everything I was going to scrap. So I had a few lying around.

I soaked them in Eastwood rust dissolver, and polished up on my wire wheel.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 am

Did not get it completely in primer this weekend, but its starting to take shape.
Attachments
2013-03-27 12.56.55.jpg
It really did not look too bad until I started picking at it, and removing trim.
20141006_101430.jpg
Much better now, but not done yet.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:49 am

One step closer to an inspection sticker.
Attachments
20141009_114714.jpg

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:49 pm

I recently showed the car a little more love.

I replaced the slipping, squealing harmonic balancer, well, Gary tackled that while I mounted some new Altimax Arctics on my winter wheels.

The heater valve finally gave up and flooded my footwell. So I broke down and pulled the dash apart. While it was open, I fixed a bunch of missing fasteners from the previous owners attempt at working on it. I had a speedometer repaired by Powls Speedometer Service, and swapped it into the cluster. The tach was working intermittently, so I changed that as well. Checked, cleaned, and replaced all of the illumination bulbs and sockets. I hunted down or repaired a set of switches that had working bulbs. Now I have a dash I can use at night. I replaced the Infinity front speakers with a set of Rockford Fosgate units. Sounds much better. I finally got around to finishing the CB installation while it was in pieces. Clean look, and works well. Working on repairing a set of window switches, and replacing the burned out bulbs.

I need to find a drivers front seat with an intact leather skin. It would be nice if the seat heater worked too.

Still hunting the early flatnose trim for between the bumper and wheel arch, they were different on the earlier 4 door (80-82)

I plan to add a set of 6x9s on the rear shelf, and a sub, and a couple of amps in the trunk.

Still have to tackle the floors, and rockers... not really looking forward to that.

Hope to have it ready to address the paintwork in the spring.
Attachments
20150126_170423.jpg
20150128_162427.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”