ITB 900

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

ITB 900

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 am

Ok so I've been working on this car for about two months now, I figured I post up some stuff up about it.

History:
Originally this car was built by Ron Wilcox and first log-booked in '01. It's an '84 3-door chassis that looks to be a purple-brown color. Later when Ron got out of SAABs he sold it to Len Schrader who campaigned it for a few years and finally ended up in possession of Kip and his friend.

The car originally had an 8v motor that was replaced a few times and set up for the 16v b202 ITB class. Over the years and engine changes, the chassis wiring was cut and spliced and cut and spliced to the point where things were kind of a mess of stray wires leading to nowhere. The catalyst for it being in my hands was that some electrical problem was causing a no start/poor running condition. Also, recent rule changes now allowed open engine management, which paved the way for some T5 development.

The goal of the build was to clean up the chassis wiring for trouble-free operation and serviceability, install Trionic harness into the car and develop the car as an ITB contender once again.

IMG_0773.JPG

The car came to me sans-engine
IMG_0776.JPG

It gave me the opportunity to clean up the track grime and start ripping out all the old wiring.
IMG_0775.JPG

The engine was dropped off as well as a Quaiffe ATB from a blown up gearbox. It was disassembled, cleaned out and set to spec into the 5-speed transmission.

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

Of course digging into the car I found lots of things that needed to be fixed or were not up to par with the way we like to do things here on saabrally :lol: The manual quick ratio rack needed a rebuild due to an exploded cup in the inner tie rod. Luckily this had one that was "99-style" and I was able to use the bronze cup left over from my 99 build.

The clutch pedal had about 3/8" slot hammered into the pushrod pivot hole. I welded in a solid steel spacer to sleeve the hole for future reinforcement. The master was also weeping out the back so I tried the Jason "in-car" replacement method...that was not fun, especially with the cage :crazy:
IMG_0926.JPG

It came with a few header options, of course I chose the rustiest one because it had a nice v-band setup that was already fitted to the car. A little clean up and hi-temp silicone paint.
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

The engine was installed with proper stainless clamps and the custom T5 harness that would integrate into the new chassis wiring. After replacing some leaky banjo seals, the car started right up and was drivable even on stock mapping. An Innovative Wideband sensor was integrated into the Trionic computer for datalogging and tuning. Further tuning development is on hold until I get some replacement interface cables... hopefully this or next week.
IMG_0950.JPG

A new fuel sender and VDO gauge were added for future enduro races. Guage lights were hooked up and panel was wired for easy removal.
IMG_0944.JPG

I forgot to take a lot of before/after photos and nothing too recent, but I will try to document the build better going forward. Still lots to do as he wants to have full use of lights/horn and in-car fuse panel to replace the ceramic fuses the car originally came with.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: ITB 900

Postby DrewP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

I almost choked on my breakfast scalloped potatoes at my desk when I saw this rats nest, and imagined what your response must have been like.

Looking good Jordan!
Attachments
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG (169.41 KiB) Viewed 4295 times
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah what a mess! That's not the first old race car I've seen with a scary harness. Looks like its coming out nice!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Nice bro, gonna need a vacation after all that... ha!
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:23 am

Yeah unfortunately, a lot of the hydraulic lines/blocks that are plumbed in that corner are staying for now just because we are trying to get the car out this season (maybe with me in it), but all of the wiring was pulled and is cleaned up. Project creep is strong on this one :)

Some highlights of the car include:
- Almost all the suspension components have custom made Delrin bushings
- Upper A-arm blocks for lots o' camber
- Fairly clean and straight body
- cage is decent and pretty well fitting
- 31/30 primaries for some added torques

The car had 500lb springs in the front which I felt were a little soft for a road race car and some random Koni reds. We hacked half a coil off in order to lower the front and raise the rate a bit, but we are limited by the spring height falling out of the perches without a spacer or limiter . I might bring a long a stock front bar for testing as well.

He also has some fancy-pants Penske shocks that I should have next week to try along with some scales to see how the car is sitting. A new livery is being planned as well to match its outer-beauty with its inner-beauty :lol:

Cark
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Cark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:54 am

Wow, super cool!

I remember actually seeing and hearing this car years ago in Ron's driveway. I'm pretty sure it had an H motor at the time, it was incredibly mean. It's great to see the car has survived and is being rebuilt and improved upon.

Very nice looking MSS header as well. Maybe 7 years or so ago I was actually foolish enough to buy one and have it hacked up to fit in my 2.3 n/a 9000. Oh the things we did when we were kids...

Looking forward to updates. This should make for a great project.

On another note... I miss Ron. The 75 4 door I picked up years ago was actually also owned by Ron back in the day. It had made it's way upto NH, and the owner was moving to Florida. He had listed it for FREE with 2 parts cars. I gave him $100 so he could have the parts cars towed away (again, the things we did when we were young and ignorant) and drove away in the 75. That was a fun car. Sorry, enough reminiscing.
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:21 am

Ron seems to have a connection to a lot of people in this area. My shopmate John who used to rally (and is returning!) a 900 bought a few SAAB things from Ron along with some MR2s.

Luke's Rally Car 2.0 shell came from Ron, we dragged it out of his field with the neighbors tractor.

All my B motor go-fast parts came from Ron, header/intake/cam etc.

And now this car...all connected through different people!

Last I knew, I think he still has his house here in CT although he has moved to SC I think. He had a barn full of B motors and misc parts and lots of cut up sonetts!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

Jordan wrote: The master was also weeping out the back so I tried the Jason "in-car" replacement method...that was not fun, especially with the cage

Never took into account working around a cage and racing seat.

I think it only took me about 10 minutes to change out the whole deal, 8 of which were trying to get the circlip back into place while holding the piston in against the spring tension. That part is a bit of a MF.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:59 am

Couple of pics I had on my phone...

New Chassis wiring:
IMG_0964.JPG

So the deal with ITB is that you can't remove a lot of key components, but you can add things... so I had to keep the stock fuse/relay panel, but, I rewired the bulkhead connectors to use only some relays and the fuses were now moved inside the cabin. I have to make some sort of mount, but this is the idea.
IMG_0967.JPG

Also, got my Trionic BDM flash setup working. We have a dyno day booked next month, so I should be able to get some good results on the N/A side of things. Still waiting for my CAN replacement, but it should be here soon enough. Also I'll be taking my 99 for some low-tech tuning!
IMG_0970.JPG

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 pm

What's with your funny silver computer?? :crazy:

Love the shot of your blue car peeking through the windshield.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Love the car, hope you can make it competitive, or at least have a good time trying. Snagged this photo off the web some years back, just cuz:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 am

Funny I've had that same photo for a long time, and even used it as my avatar for a while way back when. But I didn't even make that connection... It must have been In its very early days.

87 n/a
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Jordan wrote:
So the deal with ITB is that you can't remove a lot of key components, but you can add things... so I had to keep the stock fuse/relay panel, but, I rewired the bulkhead connectors to use only some relays and the fuses were now moved inside the cabin. I have to make some sort of mount, but this is the idea.

Also, got my Trionic BDM flash setup working. We have a dyno day booked next month, so I should be able to get some good results on the N/A side of things. Still waiting for my CAN replacement, but it should be here soon enough. Also I'll be taking my 99 for some low-tech tuning!

I will be setting up the "Notify me" feature :yay:

The ITB rules are so restrictive! I find it somewhat bizarre that we have to keep our heater cores in and the stock dash. These cars are heavy compared to some of the ITB competition in these parts. For me, it is about having fun. Very interested to watch your progress.
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 am

87 n/a wrote:
I will be setting up the "Notify me" feature :yay:

The ITB rules are so restrictive! I find it somewhat bizarre that we have to keep our heater cores in and the stock dash. These cars are heavy compared to some of the ITB competition in these parts. For me, it is about having fun. Very interested to watch your progress.

Yes, the weight thing is actually kind of an issue at the moment. I'll be scaling the car today, but the current rules dictate the car has to be 2680lb with driver, IIRC. Which is kind of ridiculous considering an VW Golf only has to weigh 2100 with only a .2L displacement disadvantage. I say current rules because I know there was talk of some petitioning.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 am

Car weighed in at 2395 with 3/4 tank of gas. In comparison my fatty airflow 900 with whale tail , louvres and some meaty 15x7 wheels weighed in at 2875 with a full tank of gas.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”