1986 900 Notchback

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

1986 900 Notchback

Postby Hans » Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 pm

Maybe if I post a build thread I'll actually get around to completing this car...

I bought it intending to autocross it, and wanted to mess with boost. At the time, only Street Modified allowed this, but I quickly learned I was hopelessly outgunned there, and got a co-drive opportunity in an STS Miata. Then I got into TSD, and tired of autocrossing. (Incidentally, you can now modify boost in Street Prepared.)

Anyway, so, yeah, it's an '86 notchback, with ~175k. I've done a bunch of stuff to it, and have learned some lessons on the way. It's got a B201 block, bored out for B212 internals. First lesson: #1 slaps until warm, so don't do this again (though it has worked for a couple NAs I know of, which is why I tried it). It's got a B204 head, B212 intake, little TE05, runs 11 psi with no APC and no issues (I have an APC in the car, though, and just need to finish some wiring). Not sure if I want to put a B202 in when the time comes -- I'm hoarding B212s with good blocks so may go that route.

Power goes to a 4-speed chillcast 'box with Quaife, built by Scanwest. If I were still autocrossing, the 4-speed would be fine, but I'm not now and wish I had a 5-speed. I put taller primaries on but 1st is too tall, 4th still too short.

The car has 88+ axles, which I wouldn't do again, but I have an '89, too, so extra 4x108 wheels (the Super Aeros are off now). It has 9000 calipers/rotors I got from the junkyard nearly new for only ~$30. I wouldn't do the brake swap again.

In past posts here you may have read about the adjustable suspension I've got in it, based on stock-car weight jacker components. It's also got a custom panhard bar with rod ends (basically like what Luke sells).

So this weekend my buddy and I removed the DIY lower control arm poly bushings I made from old bushing shells and cut-off swaybar ends (they were in remarkably good shape when they came out) and replaced with some OEM, welded up a cracked control arm, fixed the sunroof rattle (sorta), replaced the turn signal stalk and trunk seal, fixed a bunch of lighting issues, etc.

In other words, I did a little work on it as I try to fall back in love with the car so I can finish the damn thing. It needs paint, badly, and a whole host of other things, but meanwhile starts/runs/drives well enough, and when I get some new tires for it, will once again corner better than any Saab I've driven.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 1986 900 Notchback

Postby SwedeSport » Sun May 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Nice car! From that pic, it looks like it doesn't need much.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am

Hans wrote:The car has 88+ axles, which I wouldn't do again, but I have an '89, too, so extra 4x108 wheels (the Super Aeros are off now). It has 9000 calipers/rotors I got from the junkyard nearly new for only ~$30. I wouldn't do the brake swap again.

IMHO, other than a slightly better brake setup, the only good reason for this swap is to fit the Aero, or other 9000 wheels.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon May 14, 2012 1:29 pm

If you need any help, the SquaabWorks shop is always open. Saabs with trunks must be modded...

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby SalemSaab » Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm

SwedeSport wrote:
Hans wrote:The car has 88+ axles, which I wouldn't do again, but I have an '89, too, so extra 4x108 wheels (the Super Aeros are off now). It has 9000 calipers/rotors I got from the junkyard nearly new for only ~$30. I wouldn't do the brake swap again.

IMHO, other than a slightly better brake setup, the only good reason for this swap is to fit the Aero, or other 9000 wheels.

thanks for answering my question :yay:

Car looks good to me .. love the look of the Notchbacks! :thumbsup:
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue May 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Nice looking car, reminds me of mine-

Less brake more gas!

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2