86 notchback in the Rose City

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: 86 notchback in the Rose City

Postby V4_guy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

My god, seeing those photos just makes me sick. At least they left a note, though. When our Rose Quartz '86 notchback got hit while parked the person who hit it just fled. Be prepared for an insurance battle! The other insurance company will most likely try to screw you by totaling the car and giving you a lowball offer. Fight them every step of the way, especially if it's USAA, they are a bunch of scumbag bastards.

It does look like you can fix it, though. The hood appears to be undamaged. I have some E-code spare parts, let me know what you need. Even if they total it, which they probably will, buy it back and fix it. And don't let them lowball you!

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Sick joke of the day- I returned home to find my backup car in this condition. Caught the guy who did it red-handed. He denied it to my face, but my paint on his lift gate was quite incriminating. WTF?!?! My self control was severely tested. Have I offended a higher power?
Attachments
airflow smash.jpg
airflow smash.jpg (209 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Its time to buy one of these

And go fuck shit up :ranting:
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:08 pm

These kinds of things piss me off to a level of their own. When I lived in Burlington VT I came home one day after school to find the front end of my 2 door all messed up because someone had wacked the front much like yours. i was able to fix it but it was a headache and cost I didn't need to pay for...no note was left. If I ever found the vehicle that hit my car I would have removed an equivalent value of parts.
I am the 73%

V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby V4_guy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 pm

spgftw wrote:Sick joke of the day- I returned home to find my backup car in this condition. Caught the guy who did it red-handed. He denied it to my face, but my paint on his lift gate was quite incriminating. WTF?!?! My self control was severely tested. Have I offended a higher power?

I'd say that guy is lucky to be alive or at least not have any broken bones. How did this resolve?

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:03 pm

I got his insurance info and another claim is underway. All I can do is laugh at the absurdity at this point. :crazy: The saab bodyshop feels this will total out this car as well. He is lucky he's not broken, and I'm lucky I'm not in cuffs right now. Colorful and loud language was involved- I did spend 10 years as a fisherman. Lucky a gaff hook was not within reach too.

kuponut
Nickname: kupo!
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby kuponut » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about this and such. At least you caught him... that's horrible... maybe you can squeeze more since he was trying to deny it at first!

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby SalemSaab » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:24 pm

damn Paul .. bad car-ma this month ...
Maybe its time to buy a total beater for city-street duty, and keep the nice ones locked up.
But what fun is that .. should not have to take precautionary matters to compensate for others' idiocy.
Hope your insurance company doesn't try to jack up your rates or drop you for fraud! :thumbsdown:
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Hans

Postby Hans » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:42 pm

:ranting:

Damn, let's hope bad Saab luck in the PNW comes in threes: my theft and your run-ins with idiots!

mrazekan
Nickname: gusano

Postby mrazekan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 pm

+

Good luck Dude!

Nate

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:49 pm

http://www.hagerty.com/

$360 a year for unlimited mileage. The car just can't be your DD. I have it on my '85t. Full coverage with an $8000 declared value on it.

Btw,

My '85 was hit on the left side and pushed the bumper clear to the right when I bought it. Using a come-along I straightened it.

Can you tell?

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:03 am

Looks pretty damn nice, Nate. I'm still in insurance limbo, so no final decisions while that sorts itself out. In the meantime, I've had another orphaned 900 land in my possession. Stay tuned for some pics, and maybe even a new project thread. :-O

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:36 am

You might just have to accept that if you love these cars, you are gonna have to cough up dough from your own pockets to get them back to their former glory.

The book value on my 86 900 is super low, and I technically spent 4 times the value to repair it after the wreck at the hillclimb in the spring. But it needed to be done.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB

Postby SalemSaab » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm

spgftw wrote: In the meantime, I've had another orphaned 900 land in my possession.

:lol: of course you did

Thanks again for your generous donations to my 99, filled up my shed nicely :thumbsup:
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm

So, time for one more update. I managed to replace the busted bumper, headlights, grille, turn signal etc. The bodywork is still messed up, but the car drives just fine.

Life intervened, and I decided to gift this car to my GF's son for Christmas. He needed some wheels and had little cash to make it happen, and I have more Saabs than I can deal with. I did pull my velour seats out, and swapped in some grey ones.

Here's the new owner, learning how the interior goes together:

And, true to form, the battery died on day one leaving him stranded. Welcome to saab ownership. ;)

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”