86 notchback in the Rose City

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: 86 notchback in the Rose City

Postby spgftw » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:18 pm

You know what's worse than arriving in an RV? Staying inside it all day in the A/C while your neighbors suck fumes and suffer your endless droning generator. :ranting:

"There is no letter team in FU"
Haha, that is awesome & very much in spirit. Would have come in handy w/ the aforementioned RV.

I managed to build the teepee solo. The first 3 poles aren't too bad with a little creativity with heavy objects to keep things in place. After that it's super easy. This was my first teepee setup ever, and in the dark to make it interesting. I absolutely loved how functional it was. The wind barely made it ripple when other setups were flying around threatening to break apart. All week long I kept hearing about how cool the teepee was, but only one comment on the notch- "I thought they were all fastbacks?" Upon which I started launching into an extended Saab history lesson, which was abandoned mid sentence due to other distractions. ;)

I wanted to find another saab out there so we could make plans for the first annual BRC saab meetup, but couldn't find one. Not even a 9-5 wagon to be seen....

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 pm

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Discovered my notch in this condition today at lunch. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Attachments
IMG_2791.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2790.jpg (197.24 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_2789.jpg
IMG_2789.jpg (152.1 KiB) Viewed 3227 times

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

That fucking blows.

Watching someone do that then try to take off is one of the only situations I could see myself going into a rage over and not hesitating to beat the shit out of them.

That and thieves, sorry man.

Did they at least leave information?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 pm

And of course, noone saw a thing...

That really blows dog. At least it looks fixable.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Forgot to mention the culprit did leave a note, so I'm lucky there. This will turn into an insurance battle I'm sure. Guess I start with this:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... dan/Values

The bummer is how the bumper pushed the passenger fender in as it ripped loose. BOTH fenders are munched, and the bumper supports are twisted with ripped sheet metal on the driver side. Hmm.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm

The thing that would upset me the most is the busted Ecode.

All the other lights, trim, and components are easily sourced. It looks like it did not get into the innards too bad. And from the pictures it appears that the hood is undamaged.

My 86 racecar was shoved 4 inches to the driver side, 2 inches up, and 1.5 inches back. And it straightened out just fine.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Yeah, it's certainly fixable, but I literally have zero money to make it happen. The e code really sucks- it took me months of parts trading and arm twisting to get a decent pair. I'm concerned insurance will declare it totaled, which sucks in the long run even if I hang onto the car. One thing's for sure, I'm not letting it out of my sight. Guess I'll know more pretty soon. Fingers crossed....

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Note or not, someone driving a truck or SUV who does that much damage to a parked car should be beaten.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:06 pm

I doubt you'll need a frame-a-liner. You can put the original lights in it for the time being, beat out the fenders to their rough shape, hang another bumper on it all for next to nothing. It sucks but you have to go back a few steps. If you're good with a body hammer, and a cup gun,... it's all just material cost.

Don't you have a Dolomite Sand 900 that could loan out some parts to keep you going?

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Geoff wrote:Note or not, someone driving a truck or SUV who does that much damage to a parked car should be beaten.

Especially when they're pulling into a parking lot. Yeah, it was a truck, a 92 Tacoma.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I think the bumper supports are the trickiest piece for me, getting them aligned to accept another bumper and safe in the event of another crash. Some welding is probably required.

Body hammer? Cup gun? Never touched 'em. ack.

SwedeSport wrote:Don't you have a Dolomite Sand 900 that could loan out some parts to keep you going?

Yep, and thank god it wasn't that car that got hit. Someone's well-being would be in danger. I have enough spare stuff to deal with this mostly. Right, just a couple steps backward here, not the end of the world. Remember to breathe....

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 pm

wow, that's a lot of damage... looks like they "snagged" the bumper, tore it off and twisted it around the other direction. Really sucks, driving the 900's around, I always worry I will come out to find something like this. People suck at driving.
Less brake more gas!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm with Jason, that's all body work you could do in your driveway with a hammer, or loop a heavy come-along around a convenient tree or utility pole to pull the bumper mounts back into alignment.

Just look at it with squinted eyes, get a couple beers, and pretend you live in NJ instead of Oregon and you should get the idea.

The guy I used to work for would pull bumper damage back out of a C900 by looping a chain around the bumper and around the telephone pole in the alley behind his house, and drive the car slowly back a few feet, let it bang against the chain, roll forward, & repeat until it was back in the correct-ish place.

(Mind you this horrified me to no end, but on a car that's likely to get totalled out anyway and you can make better use of the money than getting the car fixed professionally, you could end out ahead. If you get a few grand from the guy's insurance company you can buy yourself another awefully nice C900.)
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Hans

Postby Hans » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Really sorry to see this. :-(

Hope you can get it fixed back up!

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 am

This makes me sick to my stomach... You work hard to bring this project from crusher bound to a nice state with some unique features and someone who is not paying attention, for whatever reason wipes that out. Why should Paul have to hooking anything to a tree and yanking? The insurance company will F you. They will look in their database and find jack for a replacement car/costs. Nearest thing they will find are 500 scrap junk yard cars. They won't care that there were only a few thousand made for only 2 years.
I had the same problem with my 99t when it was hit, twice. I told them flat out they would not total it. I did not want that associated with the title of the car.
They will want receipts for the work or parts. Knowing you do most of your own work and horse trading for headlamps and such...
All I have to say is good luck and hold your ground. At least it was not a hit and run, so you might get back some of what you lost.

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB

Postby SalemSaab » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm

:ranting: :bawl: sorry Paul. that is a nightmare. downside of city life ..

DrewP wrote:That fucking blows.

Watching someone do that then try to take off is one of the only situations I could see myself going into a rage over and not hesitating to beat the shit out of them.

That and thieves, sorry man.

I hear that .. I have a few weapons in my SAAB and might end up in jail if someone tried to hit & run me .. would rather have someone steal it outright than damage it at a stoplight or parking lot. just can't replace these cars ..

Good luck with the repairs. If you need to organize a Swedish barbarian-horde to exact revenge, I'll drive up on a moment's notice.
If you head down to Jefferson, hit me up on your way back, I'll have a cold one waiting for ya.
Last edited by SalemSaab on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”