86 notchback in the Rose City

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

86 notchback in the Rose City

Postby spgftw » Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 pm

86 notch! I always kinda wanted one of these, and stumbled onto this one a few days ago. I tried my best to ignore the for sale ad, even trying to get someone else to buy it. No luck with that plan, so temptation won out. I think this car has great potential to be my new daily driver. And hooray- I can retire my airflow, aka The Rolling Scrapyard.

This car was one small step from the scrapyard, given it's recent course in life. With a little luck though I can turn this car toward a better future.

Here's 3 pics of how it looked as bought.

A little dusty but running smoothly for 185k miles. It might be losing coolant- will know soon enough.

Looks good from this angle:

Looks good from this angle too- you can't see the dented hood or repaired driver's fender:

Maroon interior, something better on the way soon:

Rear seat pretty bad, and rear parcel shelf is missing:
Last edited by spgftw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

spgftw

Re: 86 notchback in the Rose City

Postby spgftw » Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 pm

This is a sneak preview of my 89 airflow parts car I've been driving around, gently. It's thrashed and has been wrecked at least 3 times. Every bushing and mechanical part on it is failing. Two control arms are quite bent, and the bumper does not line up with the supports. Passenger fender is caved in.

Here it is, the Rolling Scrapyard. :-O

You can also see the paint mismatch on the notch's fender. I never really see by eye but it showed up in this photo.

So, I've got an airflow kit available for the notch. It needs major refinishing, but it's all there. Hmm....
Last edited by spgftw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon May 28, 2012 6:30 am

The nice replacement hose clamps are a good sign :)

Looks nice!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 28, 2012 9:22 am

What's the car with the tail end poking out of the garage?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 am

Nice eye. That car hiding in the garage is the project I am supposed to be working on. That's my base model, 86 900, a near mint dolomite sand color. It was an automatic until a few weeks ago, and I've pulled everything out to drop in a 5 speed. It deserves it's own project thread! It's a bit stuck right now as I debate about the gearbox. Yes, I have too many saabs. ;)

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 am

Does anyone know if the headliner shell for a notch is the same as a 4 door? Please, please be the same!

This one is in poor condition. It had a mouse nest in it, which explains the numerous air fresheners. It's also cracked in a couple spots.

Last edited by spgftw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Im not sure on the headliner... the roof sheet metal is the same as on a hatchback. the notch for the hatchback hinges are present on my notchback. lay both of them on top of each other and compare.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon May 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Wish I could- I'll have to source one first.

Hans

Postby Hans » Mon May 28, 2012 7:00 pm

The notchback headliner is not the same as a 4-door, but I don't remember exactly how it differs; it's got a different p/n in the EPC. I *think* it's where the rear corners of the headliner meet the "sails" -- they're narrower on the notch, IIRC. (By sails, I'm referring to the headliner pieces that bridge from the rear headliner corners down to the rear parcel shelf.) Looking at two side shots on the web, it's pretty clear that the 4-door is wider. Maybe some grab-handle differences, too??

If you had to, it probably wouldn't be too terribly difficult to modify a donor 4-door headliner shell to work, and I have read about people repairing cracked liners with fiberglass.

(The trunk carpeting on the sides is also notchback-only, too (again, I don't know exactly how.)

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon May 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks Hans. I may have to repair this one in that case. Somebody has been here before, and they used paint stir sticks as bracing.

Last edited by spgftw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm

I have patched them with paper and glue, cardboard. I made paper mache out of newsprint and put them back together as well.Whatever works. Most of them have been in and out to be re covered. If you can get it to hold shape enough to glue on some new fabric it shoid be fine.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Progress today- I removed the interior, and scraped the floors down to metal wherever the old dampening stuff was cracked or could be peeled up. Then, applied the grinder as needed. I managed to get a coat of Rustoleum on it and then turned to my new seats. A couple hours of swapping seat parts later, we're in business- they fit!

I've also got the sunroof rebuilt, with new fabric and new gasket. That took a good part of yesterday.

It looks like a fair amount of water was entering via the torn shifter boot by the firewall. I expect that to be difficult to find a replacement for. Anyone have any leads for one of these?

Oh yeah, the notch is now sporting black window trim. Better. :beer:
Last edited by spgftw on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 am

spgftw wrote:Progress today- I removed the interior, and scraped the floors down to metal wherever the old dampening stuff was cracked or could be peeled up. Then, applied the grinder as needed. I managed to get a coat of Rustoleum on it and then turned to my new seats. A couple hours of swapping seat parts later, we're in business- they fit!

I've also got the sunroof rebuilt, with new fabric and new gasket. That took a good part of yesterday.

It looks like a fair amount of water was entering via the torn shifter boot by the firewall. I expect that to be difficult to find a replacement for. Anyone have any leads for one of these?

Oh yeah, the notch is now sporting black window trim. Better. :beer:

Busy Beaver...
That shifter boot has been NLA for a while. I have been thinking about casting a two part mold to reproduce that part, but that is how far I've gotten. :crazy:
Jegs sells a rubber adhesive that works fairly well to butt joint the tear. It is not as flexible as the virgin material, but it seems to bond on other rubber mended pieces. Could give that a try?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+ ... 5/10002/-1
When you part out the rolling scraper, grab that one.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 am

Good tip on the Jegs stuff. I may go that route. This seal has the e-brake cables slotted through it as well, so later model seals are not quite the right design. I have a couple good ones of the later variety but no early ones. As for full replacement, anyone know if the e brake cables should be detached at the caliper or inside the car? I haven't looked yet, but just in case I find a candidate at the wrecker it would be nice to know in advance. Many thanks!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 am

I really like the early velour seats, that's what my Dad's '82 900T came with. It looks really nice with your light colored car.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”