1978 EMS Freshen Up (Formerly Rally Build)

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 1978 EMS Rally Build

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I love those steelies. Would love to find a clean set of 4 for my projects.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby saabfan9 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:09 am

good looking car..i'd leave this one and find a 900 to do the rally thing with but then the funds are torn between 2 cars that said if your determined to have a rally car i'd find a good home for the 99 but you have the room and the blessing from the other half keep them all

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Nice.

My family owned a '78 EMS, same color, for a brief time (trans died).

Another vote to find a c900 to bash around in the woods.

Actually, I know of a caged 99 (it's a 78 at least, maybe even as new 80) in Seattle and *possibly* an ex-rally 900 notchback (85, though it might have a 16V engine in it), also in Seattle. PM me if interested and I'll put you in touch.

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Just got a line on a 86 SPG "Parts Car" that a friend of a friend has parked out on a farm... he parked it when it hit 400K kms, but was running. Wants a whopping 200$ for it, and said the rust isn't bad, just typical 'saab stuff' ie rockers and wheel arches.

I need to see if I can get a trailer (all of my usual people are out of town haha) and may pop out to see it.

Could be a good candidate for a rally shell, and at worst I can grab the vented stuff off the front, rear axle etc if I do end up rallying the 99.

Current plan for the 99 is to freshen it up (ie get the windshield out without breaking it, fix the rust there and 'fix' the rust at the wheel arches.) Then I am going to get my spare set of doors painted and put on, then Dennis has a '2nds' set of flares that I am very likely to get from him to cover up the wheel arches. With that done, it should make the 99 a nicer car than my 85 SPG... and way cooler.

MattWatson

Postby MattWatson » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Well, this now officially becomes a "freshening" thread rather than a rally thread. Picked up that 86 SPG today.

Rust wise it is in WAY better shape than the 99, shouldn't be much rust to repair at all. It's seat covers are in bad shape, but otherwise the interior is pretty ok. Door panels are good, dash is ok (better than my SPG really) carpets look good, just dirty, misc interior trim looks better than my SPG, so a lot will be transferred to it. All in all, looks to be a more solid car than mine!

The exterior, though not cancerous, is a little rough. rock chips that have rusted all over, some rust below the windshield, and the clearcoat is peeling. The SPG kit is in really nice shape and complete, which is nice. He did pull one E code from it for another car which sucks... anyone have a PS NA or EU e code? I'll have to check with my usual parts group to see what they have.

It's grey though, which is almost my favorite saab color :D If its possible to feather out the existing clearcoat, It looks to almost be in good enough shape to do spot repairs, then just re-clear. Opinions on that?

I'm going to start another thread for the '86 tomorrow when I pull it off the trailer and get some pictures.

saabfan9
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: 1978 EMS Freshen Up (Formerly Rally Build)

Postby saabfan9 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:18 pm

please post some pics.. the 86 is my fav 900 year..last of the flat nose combined with the twin cam and intercooler...i say find an '87 and sell me the flat nose

MattWatson

Postby MattWatson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:13 am

saabfan9 wrote:please post some pics.. the 86 is my fav 900 year..last of the flat nose combined with the twin cam and intercooler...i say find an '87 and sell me the flat nose

Everything is for sale for the right price ;)

I already have an 85 SPG which is mechanically identical to this except for front vented brakes.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 am

I firmly believe you are doing the right thing to try and preserve that car.

A light restoration will do wonders for it. While it may never be a show car, it will be a reasonably good car that you are not afraid to take out off the garage and drive around.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”