Orange 1974 99

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
kuponut
Nickname: kupo!
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Orange 1974 99

Postby kuponut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:24 am

Just picked this car up yesterday and such. I have only owned my current first car, a 1990 900, for about a year and a half or so.

It had been sitting for over a year on a trailer. I'm not sure when it was driven last.

The front fender is the worst of the rust/damage. It all seems to be just surface rust on the car, the underbody appears to be okay, still need to take up the carpets and check.

Currently non-running. It is missing a battery. The coolant hoses were not connected to the reservoir. The only info I have about possible mechanical issues is hydraulic issue with the clutch, and that "It has the wrong distributor (put in to add electronic ignition) so the timing has never been perfect."

Driver's seat height adjustment rod is sheared off. Driver's and Passenger seats are both "collapsed." The seat covers themselves appear to be in decent shape.

Material on top of the dash was replaced with cork board. The entire headliner shell was removed at some point and replaced with cork.

There is a big dried puddle of pink paint in the trunk.

The bees living in the rear vent are now deceased.

All window glass seems to be okay. All lights, lens, seem to be in serviceable condition (just stress crackings for the most part). Side-view mirrors are good.

Think the tip of a key was broken inside the driver's door lock, the key won't go in all the way.

A previous owner was a Proud Member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, evidenced by the sticker in the rear window.

There are Scanwest Magnetic calenders in random places throughout the car.

There's a mare's nest of wires added for speakers thoughout the car, and possibly the "electronic ignition" that was added (I didn't notice such a thing)

Getting it running is the main priority. I will pester Scanwest tomorrow and see if they have any info on the car and such.
Attachments
SAM_0225.JPG
SAM_0231.JPG
SAM_0234.JPG

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Orange 1974 99

Postby burnsside42 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:44 am

Post some interior pics! I want to see this headliner. Looks like a project. Good luck
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 am

Awesome! Love the color.

I think every early 99 I've seen get saved has those exact tires on it - very odd.

kuponut wrote:..... and that "It has the wrong distributor (put in to add electronic ignition) so the timing has never been perfect."

HAHAHAHAH, several of us going through this right now!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am

kuponut wrote:A previous owner was a Proud Member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors,

A watched clock never boils.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you but it looks like a pretty neat car so keep at it!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

kuponut

Postby kuponut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

I've found three Scanwest magnets so far... I'm sure there will be more. One pictured above on the inner fender inside the engine bay, there's one on the trunk door, and there's one pictured below showing the sagging cork headliner.

There's some neat waffle floormats that say 'SAAB 99' on them too, think both fronts and a rear are there.

Someone tried repainting a large area on the passenger side, the color doesn't quite match the Orange, it is kind of a yellow-ish/green-ish shade of orange, it's faded and cracking.
Attachments
SAM_0240.JPG
SAM_0229.JPG
SAM_0227.JPG

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am

If you happen to want a new headliner shell, I've got one in decent shape. Needs to be re-covered but the shell itself is intact. Free if you can pick it up! Just down I-5....

SalemSaab
Nickname: CapitolSAAB
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby SalemSaab » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 pm

damn, quite the project. at least you seem to have a (mostly) complete motor.

Guessing you are in the PNW based on the Scanwest items?
CapitolSAAB - your source in the PNW for SAAB parts & accessories

Edward
Number of Saabs currently owned: 20

Postby Edward » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Very cool. It definitely looks like a good starting point for a 99 project, especially if the original EMS interior is intact. I dig that early Saab Club grill badge. If you want to sell the badge, shoot me a pm.

99s are a lot of fun, especially when you are not having to deal with the tin worm.

kuponut

Postby kuponut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:15 pm

spgftw wrote:If you happen to want a new headliner shell, I've got one in decent shape. Needs to be re-covered but the shell itself is intact. Free if you can pick it up! Just down I-5....

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I also heard that there is and old SAAB junkyard down there in that area as well?

Updated my profile, I live in Renton/Kent, south of Seattle pretty much and such.

The Red 900 poking out on the left is mine, as well as the Blue convertible and such. Picked it up from a different person after we dropped the 99 off. Convertible had been sitting for about 4 years in a garage. The car started up fine when using jumper cables, but it would die and bog down when you pressed the accelerator slightly. Thought it was because the rubber intercooler pipe joints were pinched off from the impact. Took the pipes out, and then the intercooler, and discovered a large hole in the bottom of it where one of the pegs rests on the car (the crash broke it off). Flipped a good intercooler from another car on its side and connected everything. The car ran perfectly. Still a bit of a shame though.

Both the convertible and the 99 are parked at a friends house about 15~ miles away. He has a large garage area, has many of the special saab tools. He has 14 of his own c900's, and it letting someone from out of town store four of theirs there as well. So in addition to my two that are over there, there's 20 SAABs there.

He's having a Fix-It weekend out there at the end of September. Inviting people to make use of some of his SAAB special tools and space to work on their cars. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=239180

I called Scanwest. They stated that the previous owner had brought the 99 there starting in 2005. The most recent visit was in December of 2010, so that bodes very well. They knew the owner by name. They didn't go over the service history, instead saying that they'd just send it to my email. They're busy though, so I am sure I'll have to call again tomorrow and such.
Attachments
SAM_0233.JPG
SAM_0232.JPG

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Is that the 95 wagon that has the 16vt stuffed in the trunk?
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

kuponut

Postby kuponut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:37 pm

SwedeSport wrote:Is that the 95 wagon that has the 16vt stuffed in the trunk?

I don't know if there was more than one, but there is a 16vT in the back and such. The owner is the 'guy from out of town,' one of his other cars is a Aquamarine 5-door 900 that is probably the best condition 900 I've ever seen in person. The 95 wagon will be moved into a garage with his other 3 cars soon, before the rain comes and such. I was told he is moving out here, so the 95 is stuffed with a bunch of stuff and such, you can barely make out the intake manifold through the windows.

kuponut

Postby kuponut » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Scanwest sent their records for it.

Aside from some maint. items like oil changes, muffler rubber hangers, ball joints, etc...

from March 2010: "ADJUSTED THE CLUTCH, WILL BE NEEDED SOON. ALSO THE TRANSMISSION IS FAILING,
CLUSTER GEAR IS GOING OUT."

I like how it kind of sounds like an afterthought.

And then the distributor... "ALSO HAS INCORRECT DISTRIBUTOR IN CAR, HAS BOSCH 007, SHOULD BE BOSCH 001. DIFFERENT
VACUUM ADVANCE / RETARD FUNCTIONS- SEEMS TO WORKING OK."

I had hoped I'd get to learn to rebuild a transmission this winter anyhoo.

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:29 am

One more thought- I have a complete B motor from a 1980 99 that I parted out, with a 4 speed transmission attached. The car had been crunched on a couple sides and it was game over. The engine is grimy looking, but the odometer only showed 86k. I was able to drive the car a bit and the transmission felt ok. It's just sitting on the floor of my garage looking for a new home. If your transmission is failing you might consider this entire lump. And yep- there's a great saab graveyard an hour south of Portland:

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Saab%20Ethic.html

Jon Collins is the one to talk to about 99 stuff....

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Both sets of 99 headers I have came from Jon Collins...

JOhn

kuponut

Postby kuponut » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:30 pm

I was able to go over and do some cleaning today.

I was able to take most of the cork out, except or some thin strips at the edges, whoever did this seemed to have used a lot of glue on the edges.

I took the carpets out, there was a puddle on the passenger front floor, dried it up. The floors don't look too bad, no serious rust, the paint hadn't softened at all (like it had on my 1990 900 when I went to pull the floor pads out).

I took out all of the speakers and stereo that was added. Whoever installed it drilled 8 screws into the bottom of the dash plastic, they drilled 6 screws into sides of the footwells for the speaker mounts, they actually drilled into the metal for the wheel wells. For the rear speakers, there are two 6 inch diameter holes in the rear shelf, the edges look a bit rough, I wouldn't think they came stock, but I also can't imagine whoever put this system in to have the tools to cut such a large hole. ALL electrical connections were just bare wire, twirled together, then electrical taped. I hope they didn't do any repairs to the car's wiring.

I found some documents in the car, including the original owner's manual. It was bought at a dealership on Pike ST. The person who bought it was named C. C. Carlson. The second owner appears to be his son or relative, Eric Carlson, Lol. I think the third owner bought it in 2005 and owned it until August 2011. Fourth owner trailered the car to Morley's and left it there until I bought it.

The distributor installed on the car is indeed the 007. Scanwest's records state that it should be 001, but the 99 haynes says that up to 74 fuel injection should be 025. The badge on the inside of the driver's door states that the car was made in March or April of 1974.

Also, regarding slave cylinders for the clutch. My car currently has the external slave on it. I notice in the haynes, a picture on 102 showing the earlier clutch release bearing guide sleeve, and it shows three holes for the guide, and it looks similar to the newer style slave cylinder. Will a newer slave just bolt right in?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”