Gold 73 EMS

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Gold 73 EMS

Postby DrewP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I believe the D-Jet scheme batchfires 1&4 and 2&3 together. I thought LH did the same thing but now am not sure since there's no reference signal from the hall sensor, just trigger teeth.

Points being off or corroded will cause issues.

Mine had some dangly wires down by the coil too, one ended up being for the radiator fan switch in the radiator outlet. The wiring for the series resistor that sits next to the coil is a little convoluted, it may be for those. It could have been bypassed or disconnected. Maybe make sure the little spade terminal going from the points to the condenser (under the distributor cap) isn't all corrodey.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the car? I can make a scan of one if you don't have one.

YUP. 1+4 and 2+3 are the pairings, check that you didn't get a connector swapped.

From: http://www.rennlist.com/techarticles/djetronicfuel.htm

Located in the base of the distributor, the trigger points synchronize the injector pulses with the crank shaft. Because they pass very little current (unlike the ignition
points) they can last for up to 100,000 mi. There are two sets of points, one set controls cyl #1 and #4. The other set controls cyl #2 and #3. So, if only two
injectors are firing in the pairs described, the most likely suspect is the trigger points.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

I don't know much about D-jet but I it looks like your car has a cold start injector. If that isn't firing on a CIS car you won't get the car started (at least in this weather). That may also be the case for your car.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm

That could be too. There is a terminal on the starter that powers the cold start injector for D-jet when you crank the engine.

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

The car is indoors and its 60degrees or so in there at minimum. there's no way i have the injector wires wrong, the lengths make it very obvious. I think you guys are on to something about the distributor.

Can I take the distributor out of my mss motor and just use that? I believe they were changed and that is a 78 block.

Has anyone got a good pic of the series resistor, especially of the wire that goes to the lower terminal. It is the other wire inside of that harness wrap that is disconnected.
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

If the MSS motor was CIS than no. You need a djet distributor. I'd go for putting the MSS motor in.

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Apparently in 1973.5 the points and condenser changed. I ordered a set for both years to try to figure out what's going on here. I would assume that since the engine was new for 73 - mine being the EMS model that I need the .5 version.

Guys, what is the deal with removing the distributor jack shaft from the engine. Is there a seal, and are special tools needed to pull it out?

Getting up against the wire for driving this thing at my wedding in march. Hope i can pull it together.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Wait - removing the distributor? Or removing the jackshaft?

Distributor just yanks out. If it's been in there a long time the little hex that drives the oil pump gets stuck and you may have to yank pretty damn hard.

Removing the jackshaft means pulling the timing cover off and it slides out the back, I've never removed one so don't know about special tools.

My '73 has the distributor that takes the funny points. They mount on opposite sides of the distributor shaft depending on if they are the '69-'73 or '74+ ones.

This is mine, it's the -025 distributor, and takes the early points. Luke called them 'left-hand' points.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm pretty sure the jackshaft has to come out after the engine does. The distributor just pulls out as Drew says, just be careful not to chip the gear teeth.

I've got a 99 or two you can borrow if you need one :lol:

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

There's an O-ring on the oil pump which can make the distributor stick when you pull it out. It's the same part number as a distributor O-ring for a 16v C900 and I think the same as the oil pump pickup tube O-ring for a H-engine C900.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

GOLFGURU
Nickname: GURU

Postby GOLFGURU » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am

Hey Sam,nice score on your ems...I don't think there should be a fuel filter other than the one by the pump..Noticed a filter in the engine compartment..Make sure the filter by the pump is for FI...Hope you get her running...Joe o_O

GOLFGURU

Postby GOLFGURU » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am

DrewP wrote:Sweeeeeeet.

I'm really tempted to try to get the D-jet on the white one going again since I think I figured out that the Pertronix ignition kit was actually the problem all along.

Hello Drew,told you them petronix units was junk for the 99's...Glad you figured it out...The black 99 looks great...Adios,Joe

Sam

Postby Sam » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

FYI, the other fuel filter is there both as a diagnostic tool and as a way to make sure that none of the varnish and rust in the gas tank gets into the fuel injectors. I am double filtering the fuel, and the filter after the tank actually does collect finer dirt. I have a fuel pressure gauge so I know my pressure is in check around 30psi.

The car still won't start properly with the bosch injectors but they all work and combustion does happen. I found that it had a 1973 and older set of points but it is so clean that I suspect the car never actually ran on it. I'm going to try a set of 1973.5 and newer points and see if that fixes it. The timing seems to be wrong and I suspect that this is one of the few remaining possibilities. My guess is that only the EMS had the newer points in 73, and only the EMS and LE had them in 74 as they both had the 2.0 motor.

GOLFGURU

Postby GOLFGURU » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Roger that...Fyi there is a drain plug under fuell tank,did you try to drain it to see what the deal is with it?? I had to swapp mine out cause there was a lot of rust in my tank..Hope thats not the case with yours..Checked out wiring at ign. resistor,wire from mps and a green and white from harness go to bottom of resistor,then i see a wire coming off the + side of coil with another wire connect to top of resistor going towards the starter,could be cold start valve connection..I think csv only works below 30 deg...Good luck,joe o_O

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

if you need a clean fuel tank we saved a bunch of them from the field of 99's and most were very clean on the inside.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Crazyswede wrote:if you need a clean fuel tank we saved a bunch of them from the field of 99's and most were very clean on the inside.

I think they were all hatchback tanks though

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”