Gold 73 EMS

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Gold 73 EMS

Postby Sam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:16 pm

And we have a running car!

Check out the cold start old start video! http://www.flickr.com/photos/29341303@N ... hotostream

I just ordered a new set of injectors, fpr, tps, and some reducers to help make my fuel pump setup more legit. Also ordered a fuel injection pressure gauge.

2 of the injectors are not firing and appear to have some damage on the ends. I ended up cutting off the rubber with my hunting knife to get the fuel rail off without damaging it. The rubber basically has turned to concrete. GB engineering sells reman injectors at 25 a pop and have good reviews.

The issue of having the extra connection on the d-jet fuel pumps is easily solved with a 3 way fuel filter that is available at all auto parts stores.

Also reviewed some of the history of my car and google stalked the previous owner. Reviewed the paperwork as well and found a few interesting things.

- Originally sold by david ramza motors of Oxnard CA. Google street view - http://bit.ly/V2eVrA

- Former residence of the original owner. The car was stored in a carport, clearly the reason for the very little sun damage to the paint. Google street view http://bit.ly/12j0ORN

- Found original dealer sales slip which contains the original Engine number, sales date, etc. The engine is ORIGINAL. Date of delivery 5-19-73

- The AZ title I have is from the original owner! It was sold in 2005 but never registered. Googling the original owner seems to indicate that he moved in 1992 and brought the car with him to AZ.

This guy was really living the dream. I can only imagine how awesome it was to drive this car at that time. If you put down your 3500 bucks for this thing you had to really want it. When is the last time we drove by a showroom and saw something we wanted more than a classic saab!
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 am

Very nice, I always suggest to people with ANY sort of D-jet issues on a 99 to check the grounds. The ECU grounds to the battery tray. Even on a non rusty car, those get rusty.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am

"Umm, you know you've got a headlight out?" :lol:

Good news Sam. Get that thing going and start driving it... well when the snow is gone.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 am

That ground was one of the first things i cleaned up. Just took a wire wheel to the contact patch. Replaced both cables to the battery etc. I also replaced the starter and hit the replacement with the wire wheel before i put it in. The wiring is all good. Fuel pump ground is good and works well as is. We found that only 2 plugs were getting wet with fuel. The injectors are in ridiculous condition and the plastic tips were clearly melted. Amazing they work at all.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Nice work Sam, its so great that this car was saved, what a survivor!

Are your plans to just get it running and trouble shoot all the little gremlins and then at some point in the future swap to the high-zoot B-motor you picked up?

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 pm

That is awesome. I vote for keeping it somewhat original, and dropping in that hot motor.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey guys, any idea if a c900 cold start injector will fit on a 99 manifold? They look pretty close to me.

DougM
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby DougM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I've never had the cold start injector plugged in since I restored my 73, and it starts just fine. It's never run in cold weather, so that may have something to do with it.

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

DougM wrote:I've never had the cold start injector plugged in since I restored my 73, and it starts just fine. It's never run in cold weather, so that may have something to do with it.

Yes, the goal is to get this thing driving by my wedding in march. While it lives in a heated garage, I want to make sure there are no difficulties on that day as it will most likely be cold. I was able to find a good used one so that should get me through. I don't believe the 900 one will fit as the manifold quite close to the valve cover and requires a more compact injector.

Just received my mats oddly enough

They now have the patterns if anyone else wants them.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Those are cool, from SaabSite?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:40 am

Cocomats

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:51 pm

MMM... Parts

ImageImage

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Sweeeeeeet.

I'm really tempted to try to get the D-jet on the white one going again since I think I figured out that the Pertronix ignition kit was actually the problem all along.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 am

So, after 2 sets of GB injectors and not a single one that worked I switched to bosch. Finally have good fueling but still no start.

It looks like all of the injectors are squirting. 1&2 and 3&4 spray together. Is this correct?

There is definitely some combustion happening, I can hear the valves releasing pressure while opening if i loosen the fuel rail.

I don't seem to be getting spark out of all of the spark plugs. The spark that I am seeing i think is a bit weak, so I tried swapping in a 900 coil. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, tps, tested map sensor and it seems good. The condensor sensor looks like new. Maybe I need to rebuild the distributor, or the timing is off?

There are a few wires near the coil that are not connected or that I suspect are not connected in the right place. Anybody know where they go?

spark video http://youtu.be/aTVYx0Jf0Qg

Can't seem to get it to start again after that first day which is very weird, although perhaps it only started because the PO left one of the spark plugs out which reduced the torque required to turn the engine over.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am

How are the points? Are they correctly gapped? There are 2 sets of points, an ignition set and a d jet set of points, upper and lower. All fuel injection systems up till about 15 years ago (sefi) are what's known as batchfire. All the fuel injectors fire at the same time, the same amount of fuel. There should be no time differance between when they fire or the amount of fuel output or something is wrong.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”