Questions on rust

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Adrian Thompson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Questions on rust

Postby Adrian Thompson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi all, I posted this thread a few months back.
viewtopic.php?t=2512
I bet you all thought I popped in then vanished never to be heard from again.

Well I'm back :huh:

I hope to go an look at a 92 C900 Turbo either this coming weekend or the one after as it's 2 1/2 hours away. Talking to the owner he 'claims' the body is solid, but there's some wheel arch rust on 2 of the arches plus at the bottom of the door. I'm waiting for him to e-mail me pictures, but assuming he's basically accurate how serious is this?

What are the trouble spots to look for in the way of structural rust?

I don't mind some cosmetic issues, but I want to autocross, rally cross and track day this car. Structural rot is a no no from a safety point of view. I can weld, but I want a relatively easy project I can work on here and there while still driving it, not a full on restoration.

Can you guys point me to the trouble spots please?

Thanks

Adrian
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

Adrian Thompson

Re: Questions on rust

Postby Adrian Thompson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Ops, I should have put this in the tech forum. Can a mod move it for me please?

Sorry

Thanks

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

If there is wheel arch rust, very likely this is rust from the inside out. The door rust is the same way on C-900's. Personally, unless this was VERY minor, or the price was real low, or you plan on using this as a parts car, I'd recommend finding one without this rust. I see solid rust free cars in the junk yards every day, why drive a rusty one when you can still get one that isn't rusty? It's not impossible for the structure to still be pretty solid even though the car has wheel arch rust, but seeing wheel arch rust is typically indicative of the rust level on the rest of the car, so look very closely at this car before you buy it.
Less brake more gas!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

The floor around the front footwell area, and where the rear passengers' feet go, the right side lower mounts for the front suspension (under the battery), trunk floor and the base of the rear wheel arches are all pretty common places.

Usually the big one that ends cars is the rust around the front suspension mounting point. There is a company called Safe-T-Cap that made/still makes a patch for this area, but it's a pinch seam where like 4 different panels all meet, it's very difficult to tie into all of them during the repair.

http://autorust.com/store/index.php?mai ... cts_id=304
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:40 am

Also Skandix sells patch repair panels. I think at lower prices too.

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks for the input guys. The car would be very cheap, around $1k, but I'm in bottom feeder territory for this project. So far the guy has flaked on sending me the pics he's promised. One thing, I live in SE Mi and as Detroit is literally built on top of a salt mine (not kidding) a 20 year old car without some rust is almost nonexistent. What appeals about this car is that it's a 92. Not that there are many of any age around here. You guys in PA, VT, NH etc. seem to be flooded with these cars, Mi not so much.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am

Adrian Thompson wrote:Thanks for the input guys. The car would be very cheap, around $1k, but I'm in bottom feeder territory for this project. So far the guy has flaked on sending me the pics he's promised. One thing, I live in SE Mi and as Detroit is literally built on top of a salt mine (not kidding) a 20 year old car without some rust is almost nonexistent. What appeals about this car is that it's a 92. Not that there are many of any age around here. You guys in PA, VT, NH etc. seem to be flooded with these cars, Mi not so much.

You are better off finding a cleaner car in another part of the country and either flying out to drive it home or paying to have it shipped.
I am the 73%

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Well I got the pictures then ran, not walked away. The 'minor' rust translated to no front wheel arch, obviouse rust all around the rear wheel arches and along the door bottoms. From what you guys have told me that's a whole heap of trouble hiding underneath.

dabird
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby dabird » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 am

i have an almost rust free 88 900 turbo here in Southern Indiana. no rust on the body. the front control arm mount is starting to rust but it's still very solid. I want to sell it but I really want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it and not some kid who will send it to the junkyard in 6 months. It needs work but it runs and drives. If you are the adventurous type you could probably drive it home. let me know if you are interested. here is the only pic i could find on my laptop.
Attachments
saabsnow.jpg
saabsnow.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 am

dabird wrote:i have an almost rust free 88 900 turbo here in Southern Indiana. no rust on the body. the front control arm mount is starting to rust but it's still very solid. I want to sell it but I really want to sell it to someone who will appreciate it and not some kid who will send it to the junkyard in 6 months. It needs work but it runs and drives. If you are the adventurous type you could probably drive it home. let me know if you are interested. here is the only pic i could find on my laptop.

OK, send details, I've been looking at a variety of cars around $1000. I've no interest in junking something in 10 months. I've been waiting for a new toy for 10 years. My intention is something I can play with and work on while doing track days, autocross and try my hand at TSD"s and rally cross too.

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 am

Oh, I'm only interested in MTX, no auto's for a toy.

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Can someone point me to pictures of the front control arm mounting rust. What to look for, how bad is saveable, how to repair etc? I see from up thread that there are repair sections available, but those look to be beyond my comfort level of work needed?

Thanks

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Lower right corner of this photo, where the forward bushing of the right front lower control arm mounts to the body. Moisture and leaked battery acid collects at the bottom of the pinch seam and inside the box tube that carries the suspension load and rots out from the inside.

99's do the same thing, always check this spot for any potential 99/C900 purchase.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

The one pictured above is actually pretty good, and fairly easily repairable. Some get so bad there is literally nothing left in that area...
Less brake more gas!

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Yeah, that was one of the only photos I could find. I have seen some where you could reach your whole hand in there and fish out all the road grime, but that's the idea.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”