Ulrika - in dolomite sand

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Ulrika - in dolomite sand

Postby spgftw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks Dennis. Yep, still wrenching. I made more progress today than I have in months! Of course, I spent all summer on a fishing boat in Alaska, so that slowed down progress a bit.

Got all the transmission seals replaced, joined to the block, and started on this fancy eeuro flywheel. I'm really hoping I don't wind up with a terrible oil leak from my timing chain cover. It was rather beat up on the bottom flange- 518 applied, and fingers crossed.
Attachments
IMG_3148.JPG
IMG_3148.JPG (163.3 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm

spgftw wrote:Thanks Dennis. Yep, still wrenching. I made more progress today than I have in months! Of course, I spent all summer on a fishing boat in Alaska, so that slowed down progress a bit.

Got all the transmission seals replaced, joined to the block, and started on this fancy eeuro flywheel. I'm really hoping I don't wind up with a terrible oil leak from my timing chain cover. It was rather beat up on the bottom flange- 518 applied, and fingers crossed.

Purrrdy...
My finger don't cross very well.
I've had really good luck with a Permatex product called Right Stuff. I recommend the caulking gun version because the self propellant can leak and you are left with material that can not get out of the can. Fills some pretty good gaps. Classic is a valley on a V8 where the intake, heads and block come together. Seals that CF area very well on my buddy's big block.

spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby spgftw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 am

Ahoy! Project Ulrika surfaces for another effort. I've carted the whole project to the last frontier, end of the road, aka Homer Alaska. Current status is running on T5!

Ok effort #1- I would say it's just about time to put these SPG panels in place. Any chance somebody has some install instructions of the flatnose variety? I've seen the Rob version, and have 2 copies of Airflow style (pre and post 87) in case anybody needs those. Basically everything except the style I have, I can probably sort it out, but I like instructions these days. :dunno:

Effort #2 is figure out the starting issue I'm having. Starting performance degraded from pretty good to very difficult over a couple weeks. It's very hard to start, excess fuel smell and smoke and sputtering when it finally fires up. Smooths out within 30 seconds. I've stopped trying, this is no good. I fear fuel wash. Car still runs pretty well after getting going. I found a decent crack on the pressure side of the blowoff valve, maybe this is a factor? Downpipe is now off for repair and wondering if I should dig further. Spark plugs smell of fuel, yikes. All have even soot level, fairly heavy. Ideas?

Driving this car is a bit of a trip. It's on rails like nothing I've felt (in my admittedly pedestrian experience.) Super solid in a corner, yet so squirrely with torque steer a straightaway takes focus. My one major snow/highway effort was also wild, with studs on. Heavy heavy slush (6"+), tons of traction with the studs and quaife. But the car was digging so deep through the slush to pavement at speed that it was like driving a jetboat upriver, trying to madly complete a critical pass before the oncoming truck. Lots of power, almost enough traction, and the backend yanking all over in the ruts. It must have looked mad to the person I was passing, but did he back off even a smidge, hell no this is ALASKA. Anyways, that's the report on Project Ulrika. :thumbsup:
Attachments
ulrika in ak.jpg

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:13 am

I think everyone should report in every 5 years. Glad to hear you are still living the dream.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”