RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

Postby RadioFlyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:03 pm

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY:

Installed Remote Keyless Entry today! The '80 came with no central locking or wiring for it at all - all manual. And the passenger side was always stuck - had to unlock from the inside, which becomes pretty annoying with a baby to load when you're in a hurry. So decided on central locking with keyless entry. Wanted to keep it all Saab - so I salvaged a central locking setup from a '93 hatch and an alarm system from various '92+ convertibles. Installation was pretty straight forward:

Parts Needed: Central locking computer, two PASSENGER SIDE door lock actuators, one trunk lock actuator, alarm remote and brain WITH MATCHING CHIPS, alarm and central locking wiring harness/connectors from a '92+ convertible (91 can possibly be used, but needs some modification), alarm siren, alarm hood switch, alarm deactivation switch, 2 relay ports that come as part of the wiring harness, lots of different colored wiring.

Process: I needed to drill out two holes in each door to bolt down the door lock actuators. I measured the hole locations on a '92 convertible and copied it.

Once drilled, I attached the actuator arm to the hook at the bottom of the door lock pull (existing - you just have to pop the hook out and slide the actuator arm through and pop it back into place) - just hard to reach. Then bolted down the actuator and ran the wires through the door and into the cabin.

The trunk was more complicated. Had to fashion a mounting bracket for the actuator out of some metal strapping, then popped off the lock arm and hooked in the actuator arm - similar to the door actuators, then ran the wires through the hatch, into the car, and down along the door sill, and under the dash to the location where it all hooks up the central locking computer.

Using the wiring diagram on page 371-39 of the Bentley Manual, I wired the central lock computer. These are all the same for any c900 with central locking as far as I can tell - only the wiring harness itself changed. With all this wired in the same way as the '92+ convertibles, you can no longer activate central locking by unlocking the drivers side door. It has to be by the remote.

Next, wired the alarm. Before anything, I went through the entire diagram and identified the stuff I really needed and stuff I didn't need. I wasn't too concerned with most of the fancy alarm components, so I opted out of the starter lockout (the larger of the two relays), the dash LED, cabin lock/unlock switch, glass-break sensor, and interior lighting components. I did decide to install the corner lights blinking relay, hood switch, siren, and alarm deactivation button. I just wired in the stuff I wanted, and taped off the stuff I didn't. For power, I connected to the always-live memory power wire that goes into the stereo (so I didn't have to run that through the firewall). The deactivation switch, I mounted in the center console under the interior light switch. The corner light relay I wired to the emergency flashers switch. Only ran two wires through the firewall - one for the siren and one for the hood switch. I ran it all under the dash above the HVAC duct above the pass-side footwell. It stuffed right in with plenty of space.

Turned out really sweet! Now the remote locks and unlocks both doors and the hatch, complete with the chirp and flashing hazards.

Last edited by RadioFlyer on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:Turned out really sweet! Now the remote locks and unlocks both doors and the hatch, with the chirp and flashing hazards.

The chirp is icing on the cake, so 80s and period correct.
I hear you on the baby thing. Seem like they are on their own timeline and it is always late....

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:53 pm

It was the chirp on my old commemorative edition that had me hooked. Couldn't settle for anything else after that. You're right about babies - never could have prepared myself for him. He's laughing now - found out he's ticklish! I don't think I've ever heard a more fascinating sound. He likes to sit in his carseat and watch and smile while I work on the saabs. :P

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:36 pm

That unit, although it is badged as a "Saab" system, is actually an Alpine Alarm. You can often find them brand new never installed on ebay. I bought a brand new one and installed it into my DeLorean, and it is a pretty sweet system. the "chirp chirp" is the #1 best part of the thing. Keyless entry that interfaces with the standard central locking system an a really nice bonus. Often times the alpine systems have have a few extra features that the saab system does not have, which allows you to activate different things through the remote if you so desire - just have to add a relay and a solenoid. I was thinking I might add a door popper to the secondary button to mine... I could not only un lock, but also open, and gull wing the thing, from a distance... fairly easily!
Less brake more gas!

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:15 am

True! I did a bunch of research on those Alpine alarms when I was looking for compatible chips. Looks like Alpine sent almost exactly the same unit to Landrover, BMW, Toyota, and a number of others during that time period. The remotes are exactly the same. Only difference was that the chips could be reprogrammed, which ours could not. I also thought about installing a pop trunk - decided against it because the hatch is so heavy I don't think it would actually open.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Okay... Just realized this thread has 23 pages. Sorry 'bout that! I just get excited...

REAR SUSPENSION OVERHAUL:

It was time. Swedish Dynamics springs, Koni Reds, rear axle relocation kit (with all new bushings), Luke's aluminum adjustable panhard rod (on the way). AirLift inflatable spring bags.

Before:

After:

REAR AXLE RELOCATION:

Easy. Cut trailing arms in half, weld in 10mm extension into each, mill some extra wiggle room into aluminum pivot block so it can be pushed forward. Why? Just look at your rear wheel at some point (though I'm sure most of you already have) - see how it's like 10mm off center? WIth lowered suspension, it helps not to rub. I hate rubbing. No more rubbing now. :yay:

Before:

After:

Saabina
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Saabina » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 am

Nice! Definitely on my to-do list!

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Lookin good as always.

I have a PO's DIY attempt of those trailing arms and they work ok but I was thinking of sending an extra set out to the guy in VT to get them done and get the mounting blocks modified as well as I haven't used those yet. Even with just the extended arms it made a great difference in driving with bigger wheel or tire combos going over dips and bumps and not rubbing.

I had those springs from SD, well I guess I still do but I used to run them, they are super stiff and make the car handle incredibly flat and look awesome. Still had decent clearance but the exhaust used to take a beating going over speed bumps. I like the Lesjofors springs for a nice ride but not super low, especially with a set of nice shocks.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 am

hutch wrote:I have a PO's DIY attempt of those trailing arms and they work ok but I was thinking of sending an extra set out to the guy in VT to get them done and get the mounting blocks modified as well as I haven't used those yet.

Actually, I took mine up to Adam Kidder in Hinesburg, VT - the guy advertizing on Saablink. I owed him a visit, so we just did the mod together while I was up there. Great guy and he has a super cool shop (and his beryl green SPG is pretty easy on the eyes). Easy mod if you're descent with a welder and a polishing wheel.

I haven't gotten a chance to drive the car since installing everything, but even with the stock springs she would rub something fierce whenever the back was loaded. Especially with the mud flaps. This should take care of that, though I'm also a little worried about the exhaust clang which was also present already and will probably be worse now. I do LOVE the SD springs and sway bars installed on that car. With the lighter B-engine, it rides just right.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Pretty sure the b motor is actually heavier
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Stanceworks here I come...

Just kidding. Too many Dr Peppers and too much free time with photoshop today.
... Did I just lose my cult following?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 am

Dood, you bent your rear axle on one of those mad VT jumps!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 am

Chicks swoon for this kind of thing you know.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:02 pm

9Sport ALUMINUM ADJUSTABLE PANHARD ROD:

Thought I would get myself an early Christmas present - figured it was the right time since the rear axle was down. The stock panhard rod does bind the more it's compressed since it twists as the axle pivots backward. Also pushes the axle slightly to the right, causing more potential for rubbing on that side when lowered. Maybe a half inch eyeballed.

Luke's 9Sport aluminum adjustable panhard rod is lighter, adjustable, and has spherical bearings so no binding. Easy installation - just had to drill out the mounting holes to 1/2".

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 am

Finally pulled the 'ol girl out of hibernation. The paw tracks all over her indicate that she may have made some friends. Started right up after charging the battery though.
Also happened upon a sweet set of early fogs in a trade. Anyone know what brand these were? They came without lenses, so I've gotta try and source something.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”