RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 am

I call those seat belts the SAAB IQ test. I don't tell people about them and then wait to see how long it takes for them to stop looking for the buckle and clip in. :lol:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:00 am

Jordan wrote:I call those seat belts the SAAB IQ test. I don't tell people about them and then wait to see how long it takes for them to stop looking for the buckle and clip in. :lol:

Yes, those are worth a minute or two simple amusement. Though when I have a car with them and I switch back and forth between driving a new one I often do the same thing for a second when I remember/forget.
I am the 73%

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am

I think those buckles are one of my favorite parts of the car. I usually end up giving instructions.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 pm

By the way, I am definitely of the opinion that with all those cool vintage accessories that the stereo should also be of the correct vintage. The only problem is that the BMW/Audi/Porsche guys starting to restore 80's cars drive up the prices on vintage stereos like crazy. One of my cars came with an early top of the line alpine deck and I couldn't believe they were going for almost $300 when I looked them up on ebay.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Interesting! I took this one out when the refurbed dash went in and found the business card of a lawyer taped to it with a date sometime in 1981. It does not look like it came stock, though. This one must have been aftermarket along with a set of "Hi Fi" speakers in the rear. The speaker covers looked super retro! If they weren't cracking I would have kept them, but replaced them with a newer set from the junkyard. My '85 SPG that I parted out last year had what looked like one of the earliest Clarion CD players I have ever seen. Also retro. Kept it around just in case. I might try sticking that into the '80. I wish I could somehow make a USB connection for the 2-knob radio. That's the only thing I really would like.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Dang! I just found a couple of good options - a hidden USB connection that splices into your speakers directly and bypasses the stereo so you can have both. Or a "retro look" stereo that actually has USB and aux inputs and a CD player behind the face. Now I know what to ask for for christmas!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-USB-SD ... 2d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70s-Sha ... 21&vxp=mtr

87 n/a
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby 87 n/a » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Maybe if it wasn't chromed out.

Here is some info for you:
http://saabclarion.doda.se/index.html
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:01 pm

I've always wants to do this but have never gotten around:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=178017

A copy of the description:
I spliced the left channel to the left rear speaker, no need for both sides as I'm only trying to get a visual. Using the rear speakers also allows to get decent activity without going to absurd volume levels. (i.e. I found using the amp pre-out to be undesirable. The same goes with front speakers as I tend to fade more power to the back, maybe that's just me. )

This is an 88 Turbo, the pin-out might be applicable to other years, I don't know. It goes as follows:
pin # 2 (brown) ... ground |

pin # 3 (blue) ... illumination |

pin #4 (black) .... ground |

pin #5 (orange) ... constant 12v |

pin#7 (gray) ... right output (not needed) |

pin #8 (green) ... left output (not needed) |

pin #9 (white) ... mute (not needed) |

pin #10 (yellow) ... switched 12v |

pin #11 (white brown) ... right input |

pin #12 (white red) ... left input |

Thats apparently how you can wire the stock EQ to run off an aftermarket stero. It seems like it would be pretty easy to mount the aftermarket radio in the glove box and then just power the EQ in the stock radio's place to keep it period correct and still have an aux input.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 am

See, I think that would be really cool. Swap in an old working eq unit down below, keep the 2-knob radio, and stick in one of those hidden USB jacks so the iPod works and rock out. Thanks for posting that, hutch - I've always wondered how to hook up the eq to a non-stock deck.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:54 am

There are a couple of different EQs, I like the one with the sweet moving LEDs

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

I always liked to fill the upper D.I.N. with the optional gauges.

And put the radio down in the console where the EQ would be.

I might have some old Saab radios somewhere, Ill see if I can find them. Not sure if I have anything that old or not.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:11 am

Jordan wrote:There are a couple of different EQs, I like the one with the sweet moving LEDs

Yeah if I were to do this it would certainly be one of those. It should be noted that the write up was for "show" only and was meant to just drive the LED ones, not being able to adjust the levels like the one RadioFlyer pictured. I'm sure it could be done pretty easily but figured it should be mentioned.
SwedeSport wrote:I always liked to fill the upper D.I.N. with the optional gauges.

And put the radio down in the console where the EQ would be.

I might have some old Saab radios somewhere, Ill see if I can find them. Not sure if I have anything that old or not.

Yeah now that I dug up that link and actually have a radio to swap in the coming weeks that's what I may try to do. Gauges up top, EQ down below and try to stash the radio somewhere out of sight.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:18 pm

Anybody have a spare old-style equilizer? I had one from an '88 that I sold to Gavin a couple weeks ago thinking there was no way to hook it up to my setup. Now I'm kicking myself. There are two on eBay for around $70 but have been there quite some time. I made an offer on one, thinking its probably worth about half that, but the seller apparently didn't think so.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:27 pm

I had a stack of them in my basement and one in the car that I'm driving. I'm not sure if they got tossed or not, but I can check.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I have these Saab units.

They are out of a car that passed thru my hands at one time or another.

Not sure of whether they work or not, but I would let them go. I have a head unit, Eq and an amplifier that goes behind the cubby tray in the lower console.

IIRC there was someone advertising on TSN that was repairing these and selling them. Maybe you could send mine to him to refurb, or you could just see if he has the ones you want all ready to go.
Attachments
2012-12-06 14.20.56.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”