RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
iceman_ca
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: RadioFlyer's 1980 900T

Postby iceman_ca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 am

If you were able to get more of the wheels Jordan I would definitely be interested in purchasing a set.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll get a set, I've never really been happy with the 15x7" I have and would like something different. I'll just have to see how the fitment works out.

iceman_ca

Postby iceman_ca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Not to hi-jack the thread.. but I would be really interested in how they fit and what spacer if any are required

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I need to look at the Panasport wheels I have, I can't recall what the offset is, but they are a perfect offset for a 205/50 tire...

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Love the panasports...wish I could find a set for $300 :-/.

There is a new LeMons Tire (190+ Treadwear, but sticky) from BFGoodrich they make in a 225/45/15 I'd like to fit on the front and run 205/50/15 on the back.

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:50 am

SIDE STRIPES

Finally took the plunge and installed Jason's reproduction stripe kit. I LOVE it! I took lots of photos of the process, but it looks like my camera disappeared, so back to the cell phone camera.

The process is pretty easy once you get used to it. I used this youtube video for instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGTv6vFUr0
I did purchase a spray bottle of RapidTack cleaner, which was immensely helpful. It was like $8 and immensely helpful.

The process was to clean the surface twice with RapidTack, then measure where you want your stripes. These were possibly the most important and easiest to mess up steps. If you don't clean it well then the stripes won't stick. If you don't measure correctly, then it will turn out crooked or uneven. I measured down from the ridge that goes along the side of the car. Measured down around 11" so that the front and rear portions would be even all the way across. I wanted to go lower, but it would have looked funny on the front and back because it is considerably higher. This was about the position suggested by the factory instructions. Once measured, stick the top to the car with all the layers still on. When you're certain of your measurements, stick down the entire top edge with masking tape all the way across. Be sure to trim out the section you're working on - I only did one section at a time - the door first, then the part behind the door, then in front of the door, then the rear and front sections. Always removed trim and the bumper to get as much metal as possible to stick to. Then trimmed it close to the shape of the section with a little overlap. Next, hold the section up off the car and peel off the thick back layer to expose the sticky underside. Be very careful not to pull hard enough to move the tape or else it will leave it crooked. Once all peeled, start at the top, middle of the section and start smoothing down with the rubber squeegie - a little at a time working from the middle out and down. Make sure to smooth all the air bubbles and keep things straight with no wrinkles. Once you get to the end, smooth down the whole thing a few times. Next, spray it all down with rapid tack to leave the top surface damp (helps remove the last layer). Then remove all of the masking tape, choose a corner, and begin peeling back the thin top layer from the corner up at an angle. Be sure to leave the vinyl on the car as you go. Once it's all peeled, work out the details. Trim the ends and wrap them around. If there are any bad wrinkles, peel back that strip, straighten it out, and lay it back down on the car as straight as possible. I had to do this a few times.

Overall, mine turned out reasonable. I wish I had a spare set to do better the second time - I would have made it more straight and lower. But I can live with it as-is. I love the look - much racier and very unique. Draws a LOT of attention. Very cool addition in my opinion, and if you don't like them, you can just peel them off.

hutch

Postby hutch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 am

Looks awesome!
RadioFlyer wrote:much racier and very unique.
Great quote, only in Saab-land do you have someone describe an upgrade as being much racier and include a picture of a freaking boat attached to the roof, love it! :lol:

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:47 am

The stripes look great on that car !! I think Jason has some stripes left yet?

I also like the little house in the back ground. Got to be an owner built from the 60's - 70's ?
I dig owner built stuff. All my home and out-buildings are owner built and still standing.

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 am

Haha, thanks guys. Hutch, the boat just adds to the raciness - I park on frat-row at Dartmouth every day and I get notes left on my car all the time by bros that apparently want to possess the same classic sex appeal of a car and boat so obviously built by the owner. :thumbsup: I've actually started kayaking to work at least once a week - we live right on the river about 5 miles up from work.

Gmreider, you're right on - the domes were built in the '60s by a pair of Dartmouth professors. Definitely novices, but there is something to be said for them still standing. We moved in at the beginning of summer and now get pointed out often for living in a geodesic dome in Vermont AND driving a Saab! Apparently there's some real character there.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 am

Looks great! Glad that worked out as well as it did.

And yes, I do have a few sets left.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

RadioFlyer

Postby RadioFlyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I should also add that the stickers themselves turned out PHENOMENAL! Thanks so much Jason for having those reproduced - excellent, high quality decals at about 1/3 the cost that I was quoted to have them reproduced myself. The tack is great, they look exactly like the originals, and they are very easy to apply.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks great!

I still haven't gotten to putting on my white ones, but I know they'll look awesome.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Is that a wood kayak?
I am the 73%

TurboBudapest
Nickname: Ed
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby TurboBudapest » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:46 am

Love the turbo sticker on your car Sam. Suits it perfectly! My understanding is that these were also originally sold for installation on early 900s in the late 70s (not that this would have made any difference with respect to the coolness of your car). Your blue car is one of my favorites as is this build thread.

By the way, what size tires do you use on this car? Also, is the 9sport panhard something available for purchase by the public? Have not been able to find anything on it. Thanks!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 pm

TurboBudapest wrote:Love the turbo sticker on your car Sam. Suits it perfectly! My understanding is that these were also originally sold for installation on early 900s in the late 70s (not that this would have made any difference with respect to the coolness of your car). Your blue car is one of my favorites as is this build thread.

By the way, what size tires do you use on this car? Also, is the 9sport panhard something available for purchase by the public? Have not been able to find anything on it. Thanks!

www.go9sport.com.

Luke Sorensen's company...
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”