getting a title for an old 1966 95 wagon??

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

getting a title for an old 1966 95 wagon??

Postby gmreider » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:11 pm

This car is in PA. with no title of any sort. The best I can get is a bill of sale. Anyone out there know how I can get a title or registration out of state so I can then register in PA.? I've had Vermont suggested, but have not been able to wade through the fine print. Anyone from New England can chime in please. It looks like I could spend from $600- 895 to go thru most internet companies. Anyone have a real scrap car with a title and a serial number plate?
I'd like to save this car ,but can't see spending that much money.

Gmreider

Jordan
Site Admin

Re: getting a title for an old 1966 95 wagon??

Postby Jordan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 pm

If you had a friend in VT with an address , you don't have to be a resident and you don't need a title to register a car there. It's all mail in. They will send the plates/registration to the VT address though. Then you will have a registration in your name, you can transfer it to your state.

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I lucked out with a deal like this a couple years ago. I bought an '87 900 turbo in CA with no title. Since I live in Utah, they required a title or I was out of luck. I I called the CA DMV and found out that since it had not been registered in over 14 years, the DMV had no record of it at all. The apparently delete the records after 4 years. I could do anything I wanted with it as long as I had a bill of sale.

I asked the Utah DMV how to get a title if I was transferring from a non-title state. They said usually they do not have that problem and it took some convincing, but they agreed to take the old registration from the non-title state in order to get a Utah title. My parents lived in VT, so I registered it there under their address, got the registration mailed to me in Utah, and used it to transfer to Utah and get a title.

Not sure if that helps, but it worked out great for me!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 am

In New Hampshire you don't need a title to register a car over 10(?) years old. But, you also don't get a title for it when you register it. Instead you get a registration slip with a section on the back that is used to transfer ownership. That form gets filled out when selling the car and the PA state DMV should have no problem with that because it's an official NH transfer of ownership form.

Let me know if I can help.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 am

In Vermont you do not need a title if the car is 15 years old or older...like NH you also do not get a title. You might be able to apply for one but I have never worried about it.
I am the 73%

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 am

OK ! Vermont seems incouraging to me. I'll have to bribe one of you Vermonters to be my
"Friend" with an address. I am sure I must have something to swap. I'm going tomorrow to see If I can make the deal on the car. I am not in a big hurry to get the registration worked out, but did not want to buy the car and go over it and then not be able to use it.
I have not owned a 2-stroke for 15 or 20 years. I'm ready to kill some more mosquito's in spring.

On another note, is there anyone in southern PA that has a running Classic 900 with a T-5 conversion? I would like to see one up close. i know Jason has been working on his, but It may be a while til he is up and running. I am pretty sure i can do the mechanicals and even most of the electrical details. What scares me is tuning the thing and understanding mapping changes. All that computer lingo goggles my old mind.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 am

Gary,
It also depends which system you are going to use but you can contact me if you have trouble or need a tune flashed. I was building a 5.2 map for Luke, (the early system that used a hall effect sensor) and I have a few in progress, but most are slightly modified cars. If he gets his installed and running he can give me some feedback on how it performs. The nice thing about Trionic is it does work pretty well right out of the box, but it definitely needs a few tweaks here and there to be perfect.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am

So is this 95 gonna be the wife's hillclimb car?

You do not have to go all crazy with the mixing and matching of major components. You could T5 a relatively stock mill.

My 85T project is getting T5 as well, but a milder build.

I am starting with the standard short block as it would have come in an 88 turbo, and I am using a 2.1 head and intake on top of it. Really, the only major mod you need to do is set up the crank trigger. Luke has a stack of flywheels that he wants to cut the teeth into. The CPS is then mounted to the front engine plate, and points forward aiming at the back of the flywheel. This is a bit easier of a build, and you can still keep your AC for when you are sitting in the staging lanes. The other method bolts to the balancer pulley like on my notchback race car. But you lose the AC.

As far as tuning, there are enough people playing around with the T5 swaps, that I am sure there are plenty of tunes you could just copy to get it close.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:51 am

The 2 stroke 95 wagon for my wife will most likely NOT BE A HILLCLIMB CAR.
We figured we had better get one for our collection before we can't afford one or find one. We'll put Jason in the rear facing third seat and give him a real thrill! We have many 2 -stroke memories, most good.
The T-5 system will be for the 93 900 hillclimb car. Haven gotten the urge to drive like I'm crazy again after a 40 year absence, this year (2013) will be the year to try to go faster. I started on the Turbo motor and am shooting for about 185-200 HP to start the season and then keep throwing money and upgrades at it until it scares me or starts breaking transmissions.
What Jason and I need is for some of you rally guys or racers to come and join us in PHA hillclimbs this year and show folks that SAAB is not Dead yet.
Anyone interested ?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 pm

gmreider wrote:We'll put Jason in the rear facing third seat and give him a real thrill!

hahaha! Make sure you give him a beanie with a propeller and a squirt gun so he can play "tail gunner"

So is the car you're looking at the white one with the rusty floor?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”