'90 900S +Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

'90 900S +Turbo

Postby Jordan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:18 am

Been a while since I started a project on here, so I figured this would be a fun one.

My wife bought a 900 about 6 years ago and it has been a great car. Originally from Virginia, it had no rot on it, but years of long commutes and minimal maintenance has had its toll. The car probably has over 350k+ on it and is getting a little crusty around one fender. The rest is still actually really solid from the consistent fluid leaks over the years. I fixed her up a '93 900S and have been using her car to commute with plans to give it a mechanical and cosmetic overhaul.

Like most of us, I've accumulated lots of SAAB parts over the years, so I decided to raid the parts bin and do some nice upgrades to it. The plan is to do a +turbo with T5. Trionic should really allow me to get a lot more out of the higher compression motor and hopefully being a 2L block will avoid head gasket issues. I also plan on doing a bunch of maintenance items which I'm sure are long overdue.

The parts list includes:
T3 or Te05 turbo (I have to see what I have kicking around)
Turbo Manifold + exhaust and all the IC/ intake plumbing
2.1 head / Intake
Standard Turbo oil cooler
Trionic bits (injectors, sensors , DI, etc)
Harness by me :)
Some sort of spring/shock upgrade (Kilen springs seemed to have gotten Luke's stamp of approval, but cost money)
9000 pressure plate + clutch disc

Major maintenance includes:
Front and rear main seals,
Oil pump seal
Head gasket
General Cleaning
Exhaust heat shield

I'm currently making inroads to getting some Trionic flywheels cut, but I'm not sure when this will be ready so I'm thinking with going with Trionic 5.2 running off the stock EZK sensor and see how tuning goes. The plan is to not have the car off the road for more than a day or two which includes installing all the parts and working out any issues. Right now I'm just prepping everything for hopefully a smooth transition. Everything should be bolt-on.

First, a 2.1 head that I recently removed when doing the '93 had some strange scoring around the flame rings. It needs to be resurfaced so I figured I'd just fully rebuild it.
photo(2).JPG

Ready for resurfacing
photo(1).JPG

Next up will be making up the harness

gmreider

Re: '90 900S +Turbo

Postby gmreider » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 am

Keep me in mind when you develop the T-5 pickup flywheels.I would be interested in a modified flywheel. I am going ahead with my 93 900T and T-5 conversion and am waiting for the parts for a damper pulley pickup arrangement. This will get me going sooner, but I see the access as the problem using the damper pulley. I'll have questions for you soon!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Just be aware you will need a special ECU flashed for that setup.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Finally got the head back from the machine shop. I guess when you say "no rush" means several weeks.... :lol:

Anyway, next to rebuild the head and put on this sucka.
Attachments
IMG_1621[1].JPG

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 am

So I was lapping the valves in the head and had a general question. Most of the valves were really in pristine condition, especially the intake valves. The valve lapping compound I'm using (Permatex valve grinding compound - grease mix) leaves a rather dull finish vs. the shiny machined finish that some of the valves still have.

Is there another compound I should be using? This isn't a race head or anything too special, I'm just curious on some of your opinions and process.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am

What you are doing is fine. I have done the same with 16 V heads and valves for years.The gray finish is showing where the vale and seat are contacting. Just be sure to clean all the grit from the valve grinding past off. You don't want all that grit in the valve guides.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

One more thing. I just noticed you were using "grease mix' . Nothing wrong with that stuff, but ask for water mix next time. It seems to cut better and is easier to clean off .

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks, I sprayed the valves down with brake clean and washes the head with soap and water and blew out with compressed air. There was still machining bits that needed to be cleaned out anyway.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am

I agree that sounds pretty normal, I use a brand with the clover leaf pattern on the jar, I forget what the name is .

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:10 pm

I saw that as being recommended. Called "clover" of all things and i think it comes in coarse and fine compounds. Looks like it was now owned by Loctite.

Which made me look to see if it was available on McMaster-Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#clover-lapping ... ds/=l8yc6y

Lots to choose from.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 am

I've got the head back together and realized I have a choice to make about which cams I want to use. So the question is, Turbo or 2.1 N/A cams? IIRC the N/A cams have a shorter duration? My gut tells me to go turbo cams...there probably isn't a huge difference either way, but I figure I'd ask. Oh it looks like there is a difference between '86-'89 turbo inlet cam vs 90+. What is the deal with that>?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

I have 2.1 N/A cams in my black '85 (with a 2.1 head), and could tell no difference at all when swapping between turbo cams, and 2.1 intake cam with '85 Turbo exhaust cam. If anything I think it runs a little peppier with the 2.1 cams in it.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”