1985 SPG Rebuild Again

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 1985 SPG Rebuild Again

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:18 am

I have used the tuner style lug nuts before, but I also found a set of Spline Drive lugnuts at Summit Racing. They are really small and have a splined socket with them. They were reasonably priced too.

Worst case scenario, just lop off part of the existing spring. If you do, start with about 1/4 coil, and creep up on the right stance. It is a painful process of taking them out, cutting, and reinstalling,.... but it is easier than trying to weld the springs together when you cut too much off.

I run cut SPG springs in my hillclimb car, and I am about to shorten the standard turbo springs in my 89 sedan.
Attachments
spline_oe.jpg
spline_oe.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

SwedeSport wrote:Worst case scenario, just lop off part of the existing spring. If you do, start with about 1/4 coil, and creep up on the right stance. It is a painful process of taking them out, cutting, and reinstalling,.... but it is easier than trying to weld the springs together when you cut too much off.

I run cut SPG springs in my hillclimb car, and I am about to shorten the standard turbo springs in my 89 sedan.

How much did you end up doing, and what is the ride quality like? I've been in a couple hot rods with cut springs and it ends up being pretty harsh (well I guess they cut a crapload out most of the time).

Although the springs in the 99 are pretty damn stiff, so it can't really be worse then them.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

They are pretty stiff. And I would go stiffer if I could (and may eventually). It is a race car afterall, and combined with poly bushings and such is a harsh ride. I put only 600 miles on it last year,... so I dont have to endure it on my way to work.

I think I cut 3/4 of a coil out but I would have to look back thru my build thread for my 86 Street/Track Project to be certain. They were SPG units so they would be a little different than standard turbo springs.

I will probably start with a full coil on the 4 dr patina rod project. I want that really low.

it is best to start with the front, and get it where you want, then do the back.

MattWatson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby MattWatson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:42 pm

Well, the lug nuts are here, and I got the wheels on... Just in time for more snow.

It needs to drop at the front... a lot. Has anyone used any of the Pi springs out of the UK off of ebay? They arn't super cheap, and I assume shipping will add probably 50%.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 pm

The stance needs some tuning, but those wheels look pretty good on it.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”