Hastig- Ulrika's long lost twin

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Hastig- Ulrika's long lost twin

Postby spgftw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Introducing Hastig, my latest acquisition. After some misfortune with knuckleheads smashing into my parked vehicles, I was hunting for a new daily driver and stumbled onto this orphan in the frozen winter wasteland of Spokane WA. With a bit of luck and gentle driving I managed to navigate home and started wrenching.

So far:
-replaced leaking water pump
-new alternator bushings
-installed rear axle relocation kit
-installed cargo springs in rear, with Bilstein HD's
-removed dead A/C system
-removed busted power steering rack/pump, and replaced it with a manual setup
-alignment done
-tossed out old seats and put in my velour ones

Next up:

LEAKS:
-seal rear windows
-replace and seal windshield
-repair hole in floor pan

MECHANICAL:
-front shocks
-fix RPM signal
-fix fuel gauge
-replace radiator fan switch

COMFORT:
-install radio/center console/carpet

Yeah, it's a bit odd to have two of these Dolomite Sand cars, especially when it seems nobody I talk to has ever seen one of them. I'll get some pics of them side by side when they can both roll. Ok, pics!

spgftw

Re: Hastig- Ulrika's long lost twin

Postby spgftw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Swedesport- will pics like this work for you? It's stock except for the wheels. I don't have any manhole cover rims left but do have some Incas.

I just remembered the photo of the odometer is how things look at idle. No tach, no fuel gauge, and a cold engine. Bit of work to do there....

hutch

Postby hutch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 pm

Jason if you've been waiting to get a car registered as a classic or antique they recently changed the rules and no longer need pictures, FYI. I registered a '90 900 recently as a classic and was extremely surprised and skeptical when AAA told me I didn't need to send in pictures anymore, I almost sent them anyway just to avoid any potential problems, but it turns out they were right so it's now much easier to get it registered.

SPGFTW, sweet car, I love seeing the clean cars you guys seem to find in the PNW.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Exactly. I'd like to get classic tags for the Dolomite Sand 86.
Phil, shoot me a PM with details of your classic reg.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Today I heard the same thing about no longer needing photos for classics and antiques in Penna.
Antiques are 25 years and olde rand need NO Penna . state inspection. Classics are 17 years or older or in SAAB's case , No Longer Built. Classics need annual inspection , but No emissions.
Both classes of cars have some driving limitations. To be used for shows and club events. Can be used for personal use one day per week. That's about it. So rally and hillclimbs are club events. Shows should be anytime we can get several cars that run, together at one place.
Also, the tags are good for life . no more annual renewal. Right now , my Sonett is registered as an antique and I have classic tags on my street/ hillclimb 93 900S. Also I got great deals on insurance.

hutch

Postby hutch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Sorry to get your thread off course spgftw, if someone wants to move this somewhere else feel to do so. In case any other PA people are curious...

To register a car as antique or classic you'll need the title and insurance as usual but then you'll have to fill out form MV-11:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-11.pdf

And that's it. The classic actually only have to be 15 years old but other than that it's spot on. There are no mileage restrictions unless your insurance has any, and from what I've read/heard you're probably not going to get hassled for driving it every day unless you're dong something else wrong.

It's a one time fee and then all you'll need is an annual safety inspection if you're a classic and then another fee if you switch to antique but then you have no more inspections at all so it is definitely a good deal.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:19 pm

So, not many updates, but definitely some progress. Here in Portland, it's all about water, water everywhere, and the river running through my interior.

I spent two entire weeks hunting down water leaks and scrubbing every inch of the interior. The mold is gone, and the interior is bone dry now. That was a serious project! Each of these spots were leaking quite badly.

-spliced in extra length to the rear window moldings and shimmed the latch with washers
-realigned trunk so it sealed without any gaps
-completed my first welding job on the floor pan to patch a hole
(here's a pic of my temporary patch- jamming a bump stop in there to stop water spray. included for the sheer awfulness of that fix.)

-unclogged the little secondary drain tube for the A/C, the interior one that is in the passenger footwell
-removed, sealed, and re-riveted the little plastic cover behind the rear bumper
- located the biggest mystery, the two little drain holes, located on the body of the car where the lower hatch edge touches, that lead from the area by the hatch sill to the outside/lower aft section of the body. The paint was cracked right inside each drain hole, which is right over a body seam, and the water was running into my trunk instead of being routed outside. I had to lay inside my trunk with a bright flashlight while the girlfriend hosed the car to figure this one out. :yay:

-replaced the busted chinese aftermarket antenna, finding that someone had hacked out the hole to fit the POS. :ranting:

Once the leaking finally (FINALLY) stopped, I could begin putting the interior together.

-replaced the windshield, no more crack
-installed soundproofing
-stereo! I fitted my custom fiberglass trunk enclosure that was first in my notchback. Nice to have bass again.

-new front shocks, Bilstein touring
-replaced tachometer
-replaced fuel level sender

Finally starting to come together, at least the instrument cluster is all working now.

Next up, swapping the entire rear axle for a newer one with better brakes. Dropping the old one revealed a noisy bearing and dragging brakes on both sides. Hopefully my fuel economy will be improved, and the ride will have one less howling noise. I'm waiting on a set of spring spacers now, should be in tomorrow.

As it sits now:

Lots more to do, but getting closer!

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:21 am

I would be interested in some details on that sub enclosure. I thought about doing something similar in a car, but was concerned that there would not be enough trunk well volume to get the proper tuning.

What sub did you end up using?

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Swedesport- it's an old Boston Acoustics sub, not sure of exact model number. The magnet is large, and getting it to fit was a challenge. I think the spec was for 1.0 cubic foot sealed enclosure, which I managed to get very close to. First I padded the entire trunk with 1/2 inch foam to create a small air gap around the box, then covered that in plastic. I added an MDF upper ring (more like a lopsided rectangle actually). I fiberglassed the entire thing in place. It was a wresting match to get the wet fiberglass fabric to stay up on the sides/top while it kicked off. I think I wound up jamming in some ziplocs full of packing peanuts just to add to the mess. I managed to extend the enclosure underneath the middle crossbar in the trunk for more airspace. Anyhow, it worked! Then there were several rounds of hunting down pinhole air leaks (recommend burning incense stick) and adding layers of fiberglass. I was surprised how many it took to get something that was rigid. I added polyfill, cut the carpeted lid in half and screwed it down to the MDF ring with a foam seal. The final product works great, takes almost zero space, and definitely does not shift around at all no matter what the car is doing. In fact it's such a tight squeeze underneath the middle crossbar and against the fuel filler hose that it's a real pain to get into place, and without knowing exactly the angle to twist it at would be very hard to remove. :rolleyes:

With a little attention to visuals it could be even better- like using a shallower sub so you could actually mount it flush to the deck, or countersinking the screws to the mdf ring.

Two more pics:

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

So, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, and decided to replace my leaking exhaust. Very first move, I snapped off a stud on my exhaust manifold. :ranting: Before I start drilling, anyone out there have an 8V NA header? Or a source for one? If it gives this car even a little more oomph I'd go for it. I've searched around previously for one of these, but always come up empty. :dunno:

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Try MSS.

He may have one hanging around, or if you are lucky you might be able to twist his arm into making one.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Yep, MSS was my first try. Was told they no longer stock these, and are not interested in building any on a one-off bases. Back to the hunt....

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Postby RadioFlyer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Are you looking for an exhaust manifold from an 8v H engine? I think there is one in the junk yard close to me. Probably can't get back down there until April tho.

spgftw

Postby spgftw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks RadioFlyer. Yeah, 8V H engine. If needed, I can probably find a stock manifold here in the junkyard also, but as long as I'm in there it would be nice to upgrade a bit. :) I'll have to address it before April though since this is my daily driver and I'm now down to my bike. Gah, this is a pain. The first two nuts came off so easily, but the 3rd sheared right off.

hutch

Postby hutch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm in the same boat for an 8v header, did MSS seem receptive to doing a batch if there was enough interest? I would like to think between here, TSL, and saabnet if we could maybe get 5+ people interested in one MSS may be convinced to make a batch...

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”