Hastig- Ulrika's long lost twin

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
spgftw
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Hastig- Ulrika's long lost twin

Postby spgftw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 pm

MSS indicated that the person who used to produce these headers is no longer able to. It sounded like they were not interested, but then again I was only speaking for myself. Certainly if a group buy happened somehow I'd be in for one.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

The owner of MSS is probably in his late 60s or early 70s.

I got a few parts from him a few years ago, so I figured it would be hit or miss. Never know if you don't ask.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:46 am

SwedeSport wrote:The owner of MSS is probably in his late 60s or early 70s.

I got a few parts from him a few years ago, so I figured it would be hit or miss. Never know if you don't ask.

I would guess that jack is in his 70's by now
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 am

Every time I talk with him he refers to himself as "semi retired"

maybe he has moved that status to "fully retired"

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 am

SwedeSport wrote:Every time I talk with him he refers to himself as "semi retired"

maybe he has moved that status to "fully retired"

Last time I talked to them (last fall) they informed me they were mostly supplying stuff for the older V4 cars now. They may have some 99 stuff left over but very little and are no longer doing exhausts or headers.
I am the 73%

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 am

A few years ago he had expressed disdain about all his development and knowlege just disappearing when he is gone. He mentioned that he would have liked to pass it down to an apprentice who would carry on the business, but he never found anyone that wanted to do so.

It really is a shame. That guy knows so much, and has done so much development and testing to create products that work. When he is gone, the auctioneers will sell all the tools, jigs, and fixtures to the scrap gypsies for pennies.

Even if someone who cared about SAABS got their hands on the whole stash, it would be a nightmare trying to figure out what it all was.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah, Jack had one guy working for him that was going to take over the business years ago but then I guess he left.

As far as headers are concerned... Seth, didn't Charlie say he could design and make headers for X amount but if he had a design to work off of they would only cost about 1/3 of what it would cost to design and build from scratch? It might be worth asking him but I'm pretty sure he'd be welding together sections of pre-bent tube (not bending each tube individually like the MSS or S&R headers).
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

If anybody has interest, I'd be into making some headers. Ideally they need need to designed per engine specification, but replicating the ones that were available should be close. I'm putting some stuff together to do some stainless exhausts and header fabrication would be the next step...

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Jordan wrote:If anybody has interest, I'd be into making some headers. Ideally they need need to designed per engine specification, but replicating the ones that were available should be close. I'm putting some stuff together to do some stainless exhausts and header fabrication would be the next step...

That'd be awesome, I'd be in for at least one, I'm terrified whats under the header wrap on the ITB car, I suspect not much metal at this point.

Really is a shame about MSS, seems like these days there are more and more 99's surfacing and being fixed up, just as all the cool old school performance parts are going away.

Paul

87 n/a

Postby 87 n/a » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Jordan wrote:If anybody has interest, I'd be into making some headers. Ideally they need need to designed per engine specification, but replicating the ones that were available should be close. I'm putting some stuff together to do some stainless exhausts and header fabrication would be the next step...

I have the 16V non-turbo MSS header if you need specs for replication.
Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Last time I spoke to Jack he said he had a few sets of 16v headers available
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 pm

I have a 8v short secondary (race) header and a 16v one as well. The tricky part of course would be getting some flanges jet cut, at least as initial investments go. A small batch project would be cool though. I'd imagine I'd want something fancy for the upcoming strokers ;)

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Headers

Postby Jon1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Jordan wrote:The tricky part of course would be getting some flanges jet cut...

Jordan, when I built the stainless steel headers for the 16v turbos, I had a friend do an autoCAD drawing from a new exhaust manifold gasket and had it water jet cut from the drawing.
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Re: Headers

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Jon1 wrote:
Jordan wrote:The tricky part of course would be getting some flanges jet cut...

Jordan, when I built the stainless steel headers for the 16v turbos, I had a friend do an autoCAD drawing from a new exhaust manifold gasket and had it water jet cut from the drawing.

there is a water jet cutter in Rutland where i work and I do business with them through work all the time.
I am the 73%

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 am

Jordan good on yah for stepping up. Not any easy task doing a production run. You will have to first mock it up in the car and then build some fixtures to reproduce for speed, process control and accuracy.
I'm saying this after my recent experience helping my friend do his dyno headers for his V8. Again we got off, easy since they were for the dyno and did not have to fit in the car.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3285
The back purge is the way to go. Welds very nice and you do not get the grape vines inside the tube if left unpurged. If you are doing stainless I have heard the back purging keeps the chromium and nickel intact leaving the anti corrosive properties at the weld joint.
I picked up a dual flow meter on a single regulator so I could stay only one bottle.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (100.31 KiB) Viewed 2673 times

Paul I have B motor MSS header. Maybe replace the flanges and away you go?
P1050353 (Custom).JPG

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”