1992 900 Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

1992 900 Turbo

Postby KPAero » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 am

Some of you might remember this car from the rallyx in VT a couple years ago, and was also the car I started out hillclimbing with. Anyway, at this point the car is starting to show its age both inwardly and on the surface. A couple years ago it really did show much nicer. This car is being daily driven by my younger brother now, and his goal is to not let the rust take over the car.

These are some pictures of the passenger side control arm repair we did last year.

Finished.
Image[/QUOTE]

At stafford springs the rear drivers side shock blew through the upper mount where it had rusted out. Last week Marcel made up a new piece to weld in and cut out most of the rust and cleaned the area up.

And yesterday I helped weld it in while Marcel watched for fires inside the car. :lol:
We also got a set of Bilstein HD's for the car, and are also replacing the worn out Hawk HPS pads that are up front, and the rear brakes as well. I'll keep this updated as we work on other areas of the car.

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: 1992 900 Turbo

Postby gmreider » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am

Looks good! we'll all be doing that kind of work someday if we keep driving these cars. I still think the classic 900 is the safest tank on the road for cars of that vintage. My grandson just avoided a deer and rolled his 92 900T eleven days after I signed the car over to him. Went down a bank and rolled back on it's wheels. Dents in hood and broken windshield, but they checked fluids and drove it home. No bodily injury to grandson and buddy.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 am

That looks pretty good Pascal,

Under the surface repairs are easier, because they don't have to be pretty. But You have a lot of stamped pieces converging in the rusty areas. Undercoat in a rattle can makes it all dissappear nicely.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

87 n/a
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby 87 n/a » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 am

KPAero wrote:

I thought I was the king of using the wrong tool for the job :lol:
I used to use old spark plugs to shim the upper control arm until a friend made me these.
Still owe him a package of Mallow Cups for them :lol:

Jesus H. Tapdancin Christ,...

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:24 pm

87 n/a wrote:I thought I was the king of using the wrong tool for the job :lol:
I used to use old spark plugs to shim the upper control arm until a friend made me these.

:lol: :lol: We borrowed a heated garage to do that job in, and the a-arm shims was one thing I forgot to bring along. So instead I grabbed the nearest solid object laying on the floor. :yay: I do have some aluminum things I made up that work a whole lot better, similar to what you have.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”